New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 LS1, low on power, rich on fuel, poor idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two wires coming from the vss in the trans. the purple is vss low and is routed to the vss low pin on the ec. the green (yellow in haynes manual) is run to ground. According to the haynes manual it is vss high. Is this suppose to run to the ecu(which pin)? Use this why I have a working speedo but a vss error? I couldn't find a ls1 ecu pinout with a vss high input.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Nice car and set up. Even though you put in Stabil (not really that good) it sounds like there's water in the fuel system. Even a light blend like E10 (10% Ethanol) will break down after 3 months. I'm guessing the O2's are probably shot. You have a scan tool. Are the O2's switching correctly? Consider draining the gas tank and relieving fuel from the fuel rails as well. Then run "clear" or non-ethanol premium.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Teching In

I have gone through 2-3 tanks since winter but haven't ever run down past 1/3 tank. O2 switch fine and no o2 related cel.

I measured the exhaust manifold runner temps while idling and one runner was 80 F warmer. I checked the injector number and its the same one that leaked before even though its in a different location. Looks like ill have to replace it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

remove the oil filler cap and hold your hand over it,if you feel pressure you have ring blow by.do a compression check and inspect the plugs.running rich can wash down the cylinders.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Well, after a long time waiting for parts and to have time to install parts, I tested the car. Idle issue Is still there. Had my buddies shop check it out. Iat is reading 256+ and 120unplugged. Should be -40 unplugged. Traced wiring and Its ok. They think it might be a bad ecu. Does anyone know what other ecu are interchangeable with a 1999 ls1 camaro? From what I'm seeing trans am or camaro ecu are way more expensive. Would be nice to be able to pick up a truck ecu. It will be reflashed anyway.

Quick Reply: 1999 LS1, low on power, rich on fuel, poor idle