New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on buying my first F-body Ls1!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011 | 12:44 AM
Teching In

Default Need advice on buying my first F-body Ls1!

Finally have the money to buy an f body! So I was wondering if there are any certain things I should look for or stay away from. I new to these cars and have always had mustangs so I feel pretty clueless and what are common issues as far as mechanics go. Any and all input would be great.
Old 05-17-2011 | 01:41 AM
Teching In

well welcome to the f body's now when i was looking to buy my Camaro many people tryed to screw me over such as the lied about the car.... when i was looking at camaro's to buy i checked the oil to see if it was clean, and i looked for any noises that the car might make. but other then that if your not familiar with this car i suggest to maybe take someone who knows something about them...........hop this helps
Old 05-17-2011 | 02:54 AM
TECH Regular

As far as noises ls1 have a piston slap for noise... I got lucky and don't have it... I like my ta so I'm partial but I wish I had that ws6!!! Hint hint good luck n welcome!!
Old 05-17-2011 | 08:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Rinna94
Finally have the money to buy an f body! So I was wondering if there are any certain things I should look for or stay away from. I new to these cars and have always had mustangs so I feel pretty clueless and what are common issues as far as mechanics go. Any and all input would be great.
Common issues...

Paint- Cracked or faded on bumpers, "Spidered", Sail panel bubbles
Engine- Springs, if stock are weak.
Trans- Auto's tend not to last if you really modifiy. On M6 cars clutch engagement, and pedal feed back.
Rear end- very common weak point, look for one legger burnouts and noise (should howl inside the cabin).

The biggest thing you need to be mindful of is milage, and matinence and seeing what the owner has done. Also IF modified, what mods are done and has the owner done the right thing like having the tune adjusted. If he ran nitrous, what safety features.

If someone does not take the time to do the job right, walk away.

There are plent of post on this do a search and you will find more.