New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 11:54 PM
Launching!

Default exhaust question?

I have a 02 ws6 with longtube headers,ory,and slp loudmouth catback, my car is waaaaayy too loud and my friend with a 02 camaro ss/slp with a dual dual cme exhaust and he wants to trade me, so i have a few questions....

1. What size is the piping on the dual dual cme exhaust? (Entire exhuast)

2. How quiet will it be?( I dont want it to sound like a hybrid)

3. Will i lose any hp going from my loudmouth catback to the slp dual dual?

4.will this set up even sound good?

5.how well does this muffler flow?
Old 05-25-2011 | 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

1) same as the LM, 3 in into 2 2.5 inch.
2) quiter than the LM, much more tame until you put your foot in it. Mine (SLP dual/dual, same muffler) sounds perfect but I'm still stock on the exhaust side. With your ORY and headers it will be a little louder than stock but many say it sounds good. From what I've listened to I agree. You won't be mistaken for a hybrid, lol.
3) yes, but not much. Probably in the 5 rwhp max range, you can go with a cutout if you want. The dual/dual and CME are good flowing catbacks, the same or better than many aftermarket ones out there. They just do a very good job of reducing the noise. Basicly your going from a cutout that extends to the rear bumper to having a catback now, lol.
4) should sound good, again I like mine in stock form. I've had the LM on a `99 SS with stock manifolds (sounded badass except for the drone at speed) and then headers with cats (too damn loud), the dual/dual is much better and doesn't wear on your ears.
5) again, as good or better than other aftermarket options. They are also well built out of stainless and will last, unlike some other options.
Old 05-25-2011 | 09:29 AM
Launching!

Ok and with that being said ,where do i weld my cut out/s? And ive heard that the dual dual has a krinkle bent pipe where it goes over the axle is that true, should i do the dual dual or a hooker aerochamber, my friend has that hooker muffler just laying arou d and he said i can take that if i want that instead?
Old 05-25-2011 | 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

I had some magnaflow spun cats welded in. It sounds stockish at idle and is very quiet under normal driving. WOT is still loud as f*ck tho. As far as the dual/dual goes it will be alot quieter. I dont think you will lose any power that you would be able to notice.
Old 05-25-2011 | 10:02 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ya I decided to stay with my SLP D/D, it's low key at idle and a demon at WOT, and this is only with my stock manifolds, heard with longtubes and a ory would be SICK, can't wait to get LTs done. Heard LM with LT's and ory sounds like caca. You will for sure like the SLP D/D set up with LT's, even better with a electric cutout, I'm thinking of adding that too.
Old 05-25-2011 | 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Heard LM with LT's and ory sounds like caca.
Thats because its almost like running open headers
Old 05-25-2011 | 10:38 AM
Launching!

Yea longtubes, ory, and loudmouth sounds like youre car is broken....lol....so im gonna think about the exhaust setup i want to do, im debating between the dual dual or hooker aerochamber?
Old 05-25-2011 | 10:45 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Thats because its almost like running open headers
lol ya man if I were to get a LM, I would for sure get a catted y.

Originally Posted by WS SIK6
Yea longtubes, ory, and loudmouth sounds like youre car is broken....lol....so im gonna think about the exhaust setup i want to do, im debating between the dual dual or hooker aerochamber?
Heard Hooker's aerochamber suck, but don't take my advice, I'm still a LS1 newbie lol.
Or if you want, just get a catted y with your LT's and LM, it'll sound alot better then a ory.
Old 05-25-2011 | 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Do hooker. It sounds better
Old 05-25-2011 | 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

my buddy just did a hooker muffer on his and it sounds great. not to raspy but very solid sound
Old 05-25-2011 | 01:13 PM
Launching!

Im just gonna see if i can get both mufflers from my friend....lol, so will i still lose a little hp going from the loudmouh to the hooker exhaust?
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:01 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

You should hear mine.. Pacesetter Longtubes, Pacesetter Y-Pipe, SLP Lm1, 236/240cam on 110lsa 598/602 lift.

It's loud enough to wake the devil.
For some people if you like loud, it's perfect.

For me, its just stupid loud. The catback sounded great with stock manifolds and no cam. My plan though is to drop $70-100 on a borla xr1 muffler(not sure on price off top of my head) and throw it place of the SLP LM1 resonator and hopefully it quiets it a bit.
Old 05-25-2011 | 02:08 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by El-Ess-Won
You should hear mine.. Pacesetter Longtubes, Pacesetter Y-Pipe, SLP Lm1, 236/240cam on 110lsa 598/602 lift.

It's loud enough to wake the devil.For some people if you like loud, it's perfect.

For me, its just stupid loud. The catback sounded great with stock manifolds and no cam. My plan though is to drop $70-100 on a borla xr1 muffler(not sure on price off top of my head) and throw it place of the SLP LM1 resonator and hopefully it quiets it a bit.
That was funny as hell lmao

Are you running a ory or catted y? If ory plus a cam, that should wake the devil and the dead lol.
Old 05-25-2011 | 03:04 PM
Launching!

Yea replacing the lm resonator with a 3" muffler would be nice and cheap but wouldnt it still be really loud?
Old 05-25-2011 | 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

just get a catted y with your LT's and LM, it'll sound alot better then a ory.
Thats honestly as loud as you can get while still having a good tone imho.
Old 05-25-2011 | 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS SIK6
Ok and with that being said ,where do i weld my cut out/s? And ive heard that the dual dual has a krinkle bent pipe where it goes over the axle is that true, should i do the dual dual or a hooker aerochamber, my friend has that hooker muffler just laying arou d and he said i can take that if i want that instead?
1) cut out goes before the pipe goes over the axle OR you can put one on each section of the ORY before it merges. It's up to you. Manual is cheaper electric is more convienent.
2) no krinkle bent pipes, same as the LM.
3) I'd think the Hooker will be a little louder at idle. The dual/dual is stainless and won't rust, the Hooker is mild steel and will rust out eventually. In fact I've read of owners with Hookers catbacks having rust issues within a couple years, mainly they begin to rattle. A third option like someone mentioned is a bullet muffler in place of the resonator.

I'd trade for the dual/dual. If it's too quiet for your taste (doubtful) then buy the Hooker, they aren't expensive though they have had quality issues here of late. Sell the SLP dual/dual for a couple hundred, maybe even for the cost of the Hooker and if you don't break even you'll come close.