Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Swap HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spring Swap HELP!

I've started putting on my lowering springs and im stuck! i started on the front drivers side and i have all of the bolts removed. according to ls1howto.com the spring/strut assembly should come out now but its not budging! any ideas...thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you remove the bolts for the upper shock mount? If not you may have to when i changed my shocks last month I had to pull it out with the shock. The sleave inside the mount was siezed the the shock shaft. I ended up having to replace the upper shock mount on the drivers side cuz i couldnt get the old shock out without distroying the mount. And I think I may have to replace passanger side too its making noise now
Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Did disconnect the connection between the spindle and Upper A-Arm? Make sure your lower A-arm is hanging freely and it SHOULD come right out, if all the bolts are removed... Don't forget to disconnect the sway bar endlinks to give you some more room.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove sway bar endlinks for sure. I did mine without removing the ball joint though (as others have). Just push down on the lower control arm with your foot as you jostle the assembly out. When you get the hang of it it is not so bad but is not exactly easy either. Loosening the ball joint will make removal of the assembly easier but the ball joint could give you a tough time too so...
Old 05-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Remove sway bar endlinks for sure. I did mine without removing the ball joint though (as others have). Just push down on the lower control arm with your foot as you jostle the assembly out. When you get the hang of it it is not so bad but is not exactly easy either. Loosening the ball joint will make removal of the assembly easier but the ball joint could give you a tough time too so...
I had to use a pickle fork to break the connection.. Once I went out and got one... lol It was a breeze.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what exactly is the swaybar end links? the spindle is loose from the a arm but it just wont pop loose. it seems to be stuck in the grooves on the a arm
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by USMC5811
what exactly is the swaybar end links? the spindle is loose from the a arm but it just wont pop loose. it seems to be stuck in the grooves on the a arm
Umm.. Do you know what the sway bar is? Like where its located? If you know that, the endlinks are on the end of the bar and attach it to the Lower A-Arm. You should see a fine threaded bolt going through the bottom of the lower A-Arm and a bolt holding the endlink together on the top. This obviously isn't exact but the endlink is roughly 1-2" away from the shock, towards the front of the car. You really can't miss it. Another identifying feature of endlinks is look for 2 bushings sandwiched between the lower A arm and 2 other sandwiched between the sway bar (all on the same bolt). Once you unbolt it, don't lose the endlinks or the bolt, unless your replacing it. Be careful if your not replacing it. I broke one of my stock bolts in half using hand strength and med. force on a car with 25K miles on it..

It terms on your spindle problem, I don't understand what your trying to say. -Take the cotter pin out,
-Take off the king bolt or whatever its called (the bolt that holds the upper A arm and spindle together.)
-At this point the connection MAY come apart on its own, but in sounds like its not in your case.
-If not, use a pickle fork and sandwich it between the lower part of the ball joint and the spindle and it should come apart no problem.