New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap/Best Super or turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, Killer. 4-5k... if you can do a lot of it yourself.

I love how many people I talk to that hear my car is turbo'd, and the first thing they ask is,
- "is it TT?"
- No, single.
- "Oh okay... well i want to build a TT xyz car."

Almost like its not a 600hp car because its not TT, its only a single. I always reply with,

- Really? Cool, so your going to put out some serious power then... like over 1000hp?
- "It would go on my stock motor and Id like to get about 500-550rwhp."
- Ummm, so why are you doing TT? You can do the same hp for less money, less weight and be just as fast.
- "Because i want to do TT."

Thats usually where I nod off and leave or change the subject. Because I know from there is goes into asking if i think they can do it for under $1000. Well, my clutch was over $800 and my turbo was over $800 and you want 2... So, sure. haha. Good luck with that.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo's are great fun but plan on spending mucho cash. If you are like anyone else i know with one you will want to turn it up after a week or two and then you will be looking into other supporting mods. Getting a turbo to fit under an f body hood is tough and it takes many modifications under the hood. On the cheap i would reccomend a rear mounted kit.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever price you are figuring to pay for a turbo system...take that budget and double it. There is going to be alot of little adjustments and fabrications and if you are paying someone else to do all this work for you, the labor cost is going to shock you.

On the other hand...just going with a decent H/C package with headers can easily make 500 rwhp with much less fabrication and adjustments, something a non-mechanical guy can do in his garage. (you will need new heads & cam for a turbo system as well, if you want to take advantage of your investment)

Just depends on if you are doing the all of the labor yourself. Paying a mechanic is where the word "cheap" gets thrown out the window.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm only in the planning stages right now, and started getting prices together:

Forged 6.0 Iron block: 2,500+ without heads
Heads TBD, but expecting to pay 2,500-3,000
Fuel System+ID injectors:2,500
M6 built locally:1,000
McLeod RXT:1,200

So there is $10,200 BEFORE the single turbo setup, tune, and rear end is done. I am planning on building a reliable turbo car that wont be seeing much strip time, just a cruiser. There is no way in the world you are going to touch any FI with $500.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
LOL, Killer. 4-5k... if you can do a lot of it yourself.

I love how many people I talk to that hear my car is turbo'd, and the first thing they ask is,
- "is it TT?"
- No, single.
- "Oh okay... well i want to build a TT xyz car."

Almost like its not a 600hp car because its not TT, its only a single. I always reply with,

- Really? Cool, so your going to put out some serious power then... like over 1000hp?
- "It would go on my stock motor and Id like to get about 500-550rwhp."
- Ummm, so why are you doing TT? You can do the same hp for less money, less weight and be just as fast.
- "Because i want to do TT."

Thats usually where I nod off and leave or change the subject. Because I know from there is goes into asking if i think they can do it for under $1000. Well, my clutch was over $800 and my turbo was over $800 and you want 2... So, sure. haha. Good luck with that.

yeah haha. i figure thats some bare bones, ebay kit/turbo, ebay coldside, stock fuel system, used injectors, "my buddy does tuning" tune, cheapie stage 2 clutch, etc.

for all others wondering.. non ebay parts are very expensive. my turbo alone was close to $2k, $600 watsegate, $500 BOV, just the stainless tubing was over $1k, and I built the whole thing myself! A single mandrel bent 4" stainless tube is $150+ dollars, and i have 4" all the way over the axle :-/

Thats over $4k for JUST the hotside. not including cold side, the whole engine/drivetrain, fueling, electronics, i prob have over $1500 just in tuning, my car has been on the dyno dozens of times after making changes...

its not a cheap hobby when you go FI. My car's motto:

"You gotta pay to play"
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
yeah haha. i figure thats some bare bones, ebay kit/turbo, ebay coldside, stock fuel system, used injectors, "my buddy does tuning" tune, cheapie stage 2 clutch, etc.

for all others wondering.. non ebay parts are very expensive. my turbo alone was close to $2k, $600 watsegate, $500 BOV, just the stainless tubing was over $1k, and I built the whole thing myself! A single mandrel bent 4" stainless tube is $150+ dollars, and i have 4" all the way over the axle :-/

Thats over $4k for JUST the hotside. not including cold side, the whole engine/drivetrain, fueling, electronics, i prob have over $1500 just in tuning, my car has been on the dyno dozens of times after making changes...

its not a cheap hobby when you go FI. My car's motto:

"You gotta pay to play"

Young people (LIKE ME ) these days grow up watching stuff like Fast 'N Furious and don't even have ANY concept of what all it takes to make a turbo powered beast. So many parts need to be upgraded and we don't even realize the extensive planning behind it.

I know there are guys that are very ambitious out there that have done a turbo set up on their own car at an amazingly low cost, but for the average young guy that has never touched an engine hoist or pulled off an intake manifold...that kind of project would be a logistical (and expensive) nightmare.

Most people don't want to be told that their dream turbo set up is a huge commitment of time and resources. They just want to be told that it can be done cheap and easy.

I was kind of like that until I realized how much power I could get out of just heads and cam without having to have my own custom race fabrication shop in my garage and go into debt for the next 10 years.

A good FI set up takes commitment...and a steady flow paychecks coming in
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

/\ agreed
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread was painful to even read. Its kind of like when a 15 year old says they are "saving" for an outrageous car like a new camaro blahblahblah. In reality they get a civic. 500$ go get long tubes and exhaust and be happy!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

....or save up over the next two years and buy a decent turbo kit.....

....yeeeah. i already have the SLP exhaust anyway so that should be good enough till i can decide once and for all if i want magna flow
Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of the worst threads I've read. Seriously do you think you can build a turbo car for $500. That won't even afford the injectors you need to fuel the car let alone any of the other supporting mods to do it somewhat right. If this is truly your daily then you need to get a 9" or Dana 60 and a built trans/triple disk converter to hand the increase in power. That alone will set you back 6k. Building something daily drivable, cheap and reliable is damn near impossible for an fi car.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willizm
This is one of the worst threads I've read. Seriously do you think you can build a turbo car for $500. That won't even afford the injectors you need to fuel the car let alone any of the other supporting mods to do it somewhat right. If this is truly your daily then you need to get a 9" or Dana 60 and a built trans/triple disk converter to hand the increase in power. That alone will set you back 6k. Building something daily drivable, cheap and reliable is damn near impossible for an fi car.
no dude. i just used 500 as a placeholder to show i meant dirt cheap.

Did i ever think i could get a turbo for 500? Hellz no man

and yes ive covered the fact that i will be SAVING up money over the next two years to get my mods when i get out of college.

But thanks for the advice on the 9" or Dana i guess. Btw this thread is nowhere near as bad as some of WhiteKnight01s threads.

just sayin-easy on my lack of afterthought
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick V.
no dude. i just used 500 as a placeholder to show i meant dirt cheap.

Did i ever think i could get a turbo for 500? Hellz no man

and yes ive covered the fact that i will be SAVING up money over the next two years to get my mods when i get out of college.

But thanks for the advice on the 9" or Dana i guess. Btw this thread is nowhere near as bad as some of WhiteKnight01s threads.

just sayin-easy on my lack of afterthought
to that.

No problem, just keep eyeing up the FI section and make sure you try to consider everything that will go into your build. When I started mine I decided mid way through to pull the block and go forged. Those are the added costs that come up mid build. I just felt better doing that because I don't want to have a weak link and baby my setup. Rear end and trans is very important along with a decent suspension, sticky tire, converter, fueling system and valvetrain. Those are all supporting things completely independent of the turbo setup itself.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willizm
to that.

No problem, just keep eyeing up the FI section and make sure you try to consider everything that will go into your build. When I started mine I decided mid way through to pull the block and go forged. Those are the added costs that come up mid build. I just felt better doing that because I don't want to have a weak link and baby my setup. Rear end and trans is very important along with a decent suspension, sticky tire, converter, fueling system and valvetrain. Those are all supporting things completely independent of the turbo setup itself.
yessir. there are so many options for building cars its crazy. i wish i had a shitton of money and i was out of school.

My parts wish list is something like this

Eboch springs
SFcs
Louder exhaust than my SLP(prob Magna Flow)
Nitto 555Rs
17"in rims
Turbocharger
Intercooler
Transcooler
Level 4 or 5 trans from a sponser
4.10s w/12bolt
C5 brake conversion
Weight reduction(already got rid of jack and tire)
Fast Intake
new fuel system(fuel pump included)
Maybe forged stuff
Something like the magicstick cam from texas speed
Better heads(ported)
Cutout for exhaust
Tint
repaint (maybe blk with red hockey stripes)
Extra gauges
Maybe a HUD?

Quick Reply: Cheap/Best Super or turbo.