Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port/polish t/b

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port/polish t/b

What kind of improvements would i see if i had a ported and polished t/b? I have a 98 trans am stock A4 other than corsa catback and a suncoast ram air hood with their ram airbox kit or whatever the hell its called(bought the car with this stuff). Also is it worth it?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 243hunter
What kind of improvements would i see if i had a ported and polished t/b? I have a 98 trans am stock A4 other than corsa catback and a suncoast ram air hood with their ram airbox kit or whatever the hell its called(bought the car with this stuff). Also is it worth it?
Yes is worth it.. Any Type of mods is worth doing to ure ls1.. Not unless you got the cash to buy a Better one. Doing "The Free Mods" are always good too. If you Gather 3 h.p. here.. And 5 h.p. there.. It ALL adds up..
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

oh ya i agree it all adds up and what do you mean free mods? this is something you can do yourself??? and what can i expect out of it?...better throttle response etc also will I need a tune?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is what you want,this guy has an excellent reputation too:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...body-sale.html
Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the free mods are mods you can do with basic tools. each one totals out to a 2-3 hp gain nothing spectacular but every bit helps. the ones i know off the top of my head are the free ram air mod the egr delte and the air delete as well. theres a website that shows pics and step by step how to do this cant reember which one it is i think its ls1howto or somewthign like that
Old 06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

haha! this is why I started this thread. but it doesnt answer my question...better throttle response? need a tune after install? what exactly are the perks of doing this? and my t/a is nbm but maybe next summer I would like to repaint it black...any color ideas or just go chrome on that t/b
Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I just got my tb done by the guy above in the link, it is well worth the price and it looks awesome in person. yes it will give you a better trottle response, i had my done in chrome powdercoat.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

did you do the epoxy mod as well? sooooo is a tune needed after this? Im down here in Tucson AZ...anyone know of anyone that is reputable down here?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

yes i did and no a tune will not be needed. i have had 0 problems outta mine.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS9 Formula
yes i did and no a tune will not be needed. i have had 0 problems outta mine.
How hard was the install/uninstall? I never touched a TB before, plenty of exhaust mods and lids/CAIs...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

then you would have no problem taking the tb off. one bolt on top of the tb and 2 underneath it. take the trottle cable off and if you have cruise just pop that off. if u havn't done the tb bypass then just unhook those 2 hoses on the bottom and its ready to come off.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

They say around 7-10 hp...after install I noticed a difference in throttle response for sure.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my TB from the sponsor above as well. To be honest, hardly any noticeable difference. A TOUCH better on throttle response. I had my car retuned by a friend of of mine and there was really next to no power increase. Car ran slightly richer with the new TB which we corrected. In my opinion, not worth the money, unless u have more mods that demands more intake airflow.

Even my MAP pressure barely changed, showing it really didnt free up much restriction.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by bpalma
I got my TB from the sponsor above as well. To be honest, hardly any noticeable difference. A TOUCH better on throttle response. I had my car retuned by a friend of of mine and there was really next to no power increase. Car ran slightly richer with the new TB which we corrected. In my opinion, not worth the money, unless u have more mods that demands more intake airflow.

Even my MAP pressure barely changed, showing it really didnt free up much restriction.
So out of ALL the others that posted positive results your the one and only person that says otherwise....??? Doesnt that strike you as just a lil odd, maybe their is some other reason? Just saying...that guy has like 5 pages of compliments, heck just the polish and powder coat are almost worth the cost of his service, IMHO.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Doesnt strike me as odd. Of course it does help a little, every mod adds up. Im just saying for a stock car, the differences are very minimal. I only have a lid and a magnaflow muffler with a tune, and adding the tb did not gain me much at all. For me, the lid made a much bigger difference.

It does help dont get me wrong! the PCM barely recognized any differences in airflow for fuel correction, so its only a very small gain in HP.

And yes, the TB is very pretty if thats what your going for lol.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bpalma
Doesnt strike me as odd. Of course it does help a little, every mod adds up. Im just saying for a stock car, the differences are very minimal. I only have a lid and a magnaflow muffler with a tune, and adding the tb did not gain me much at all. For me, the lid made a much bigger difference.

It does help dont get me wrong! the PCM barely recognized any differences in airflow for fuel correction, so its only a very small gain in HP.

And yes, the TB is very pretty if thats what your going for lol.
This is pretty accurate info here, as well as data to back it up (tuning/data logging). There is not a huge need for a bigger throttle body on a stock motor. Yes, you will feel a slight increase in trottle response, but you will not be gaining noticable power.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

I am quite sure no one ordereding these is under the impression their getting a 100hp mod for $99, this is just a lil boost that looks good too and as we all know, every lil bits helps. If its 2hp, thats cool, if its 5 better, anything helps. Debated enought, lets move on.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I am quite sure no one ordereding these is under the impression their getting a 100hp mod for $99, this is just a lil boost that looks good too and as we all know, every lil bits helps. If its 2hp, thats cool, if its 5 better, anything helps. Debated enought, lets move on.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what you want,this guy has an excellent reputation too:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...body-sale.html
Good luck getting a response if you have a defective product. Awesome communication up until he finds out you have an issue then nada.

Originally Posted by 243hunter
haha! this is why I started this thread. but it doesnt answer my question...better throttle response? need a tune after install? what exactly are the perks of doing this? and my t/a is nbm but maybe next summer I would like to repaint it black...any color ideas or just go chrome on that t/b
Main thing is better throttle response. No retune should be needed.
All the free mods together plus a port tb and you might see a 5rwhp increase.
Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
How hard was the install/uninstall? I never touched a TB before, plenty of exhaust mods and lids/CAIs...
5mins with normal tools from popping the hood to the last connection.
It ranges from 1-7rwhp usually.1-3 is more like It.
If a 90mm tb isn't a decent restriction on a huge cam AFR heads ported 102 combo, you really think the stock tb will be on a bolt on car?
The intake can only flow so much air, Ie the runners. I don't know the specs on an ls6 intake but I'm willing to bet the stock tb outflows the ls6 intake... Won't even touch on an ls1 intake.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 09camarossls2
Yes is worth it.. Any Type of mods is worth doing to ure ls1.. Not unless you got the cash to buy a Better one. Doing "The Free Mods" are always good too. If you Gather 3 h.p. here.. And 5 h.p. there.. It ALL adds up..

this is exactly it!!!

I ported, polished, painted and clear coated mine, myself.

and

most definitely do the BUMPSTOP MOD...

its simple:

-dremel
-various sand paper grit
-polish
-rattle can paint hi temp
-clear coat hi temp
-multi-meter and an assitant for bumpstop mod

I noticed more with the bumpstop then the port/polish. Increasing WOT is always good! and its free!!