Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control A Must On A F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need it!

I used to turn that button off every single time I got in my car. Not anymore, when it's raining anyway. I was behind an older couple on a state highway, they were doing 25 in a 45 (we were in a small town). So they turned off and I punched that petal to the floor and I went around and around again. I just about had to get a crowbar out to pry my fingers from the steering wheel. I admit that I was a complete MORON for punching the gas knowing that it was going to downshift into 2nd and let loose. For me it is a foolproof button. Because behind the wheel of my LS1 I am definately a fool, like the rest of you!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

My first car was a RWD 300zx, I was coming on an exit ramp entering a local 3 lane road in the rain, I drove over a man hole cover and the tires lost grip, I wasn't going too fast, I let off the gas, the rear end spun to the right, I turned into the skid and did a 180 and ended up stopped facing the wrong way still in my lane. That's why I got traction control.

My mom drove my car once and I told her to go easy on the throttle, she forgot and thought she was in her v6 mini van. ASR to the rescue. I agree with Sam in that its good for your sis or mom or GF.

A4's you never know when its gonna downshift and take off, so I like ASR for that as well.

Also, stock/old tires suck and ASR has kept me from spinning TONS of times when driving on them.

Last reason its good is resale value.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

I've had cars with and without. I prefer without. I always had to remember to shut it off. Got lined up next to an SS one day and went from 10 and he slapped me bad. Why? Because the ASR was still on and the go pedal came back up and about broke my foot.

BTW~ I drive in the rain on Nittos without traction control. The driver plays the biggest part (and my wife rarely drives this) =)
Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

traction control is for girls
Old 03-09-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

yah im glad i have asr, and the SLP asr-invertor helps too. Now i pay attention to the road conditions. If its looking nasty out, i turn it on. I'm new to the modded/verted a4, and i must say it will bitch slap you quick if you don't know whats going on.

if you understand what happens when your going around a corner, wet, and a car is in your lane (Turning left), you're locked up at 40mph, then you gas it, the verter unlocks and flashes, you'll know what i mean about nearly pissing yourself, even with ASR on. A4's have a mind of their own, i have found the 4l60E (tuned/etc) isn't 100% predictable, and i'd feel like a fewl if i crashed.

i dont claim to be a great RWD/muscle car driver, im sure alot of you guys are 10X better than me. I've been driving fwd for the past 4 years so going from a 165whp blown-1.8 motor vw thats super light and agile, to a fat pig z28 with an a4 stalled, is some learning curve. I got more than i ever imagined with the package of bolt-ons. I'm grateful for ASR, but am leaving it off to learn when conditions are right. Im sure as time goes on, and i become more skilled i'll vere to agreeing that ASR is not so cool, but its only a button to turn it on when conditions get crappy.

besides it came with the car, so its basically a free option, and my wife wants to drive my car, she's asked a few times. So i'll probably unplug the ASR switch and let her have at it someday. Nothings hotter than your (girl/wife) rocking out in your ls1 man

especially if its an auto, that gives her an extra hand like colonel said
Old 03-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Its a good thing IMO,its covered my *** a many a time.
The positives FAR out weigh the trivial negatives.
As with all things.........You just have to be Smarter then what your working with
Old 03-11-2004, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess if you're an A4 it makes a big differance, but it's totally unnecessary with an M6, IMO. Tires that don't lose traction in the first place, now THAT's necessary.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input. I guess if the car comes with or without TCS it wont be a big deal. I just wondered how much of a difference it makes and if it is worth making sure you have it or not. Hopefully I will get a hold of the proper finances soon so I can a Fbody. Thanks, Derek
Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

imo A4 yes, M6 no. i made sure to get it on my 01 after i had my 87 ta with an auto. that thing was terrible in bad weather. after having it in my 01 m6 i realize i dont need it cause im in control of the shifting. i. e. if it spins upshift. i wouldnt get it in a stick car ever again. if you know how to drive you know when its spinning and you act accordingly. in an auto car your at the mercy of the cpu and it doesnt know your driving style or road conditions. fyi i know this is an old thread.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Holy old thread....

Just so you guys know. All the LS cars have traction control, even if you don't have the option. The engine pulls timing when it detects tire spin. You literally have to go in and change all the parameters with a program such as HP tuners to eliminate all this. I just did this on my car
Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

gets in the way in my opinion. get the retrofit cable from the pedal to the throttle body acceleration and throttle response is amazing
Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dean85gt
Holy old thread....

Just so you guys know. All the LS cars have traction control, even if you don't have the option. The engine pulls timing when it detects tire spin. You literally have to go in and change all the parameters with a program such as HP tuners to eliminate all this. I just did this on my car
I dont know who told you that but your wrong. On all my car I have not had traction control and and spin the tires without any problem. Auto's or M6. I has even datalogged for tunning while spinning tires and have seen no timming pulled. If you dont have the option with the switch you have a 3 channel rear with the traction control parts. THe traction control on our cars is a mech in nature it pulls the gas peddle closed it doesnt pull timming as fords do.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally would prolly never use it but I would have loved to have had it the two times girls bounced my car of the curb. One time was a BONE DRY 90* DAY First time replaced a road rashed rim. The second time the hatch squeaked til I got adjusted out with the rubber stops....

Quick Reply: Traction Control A Must On A F-body?