New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drilling holes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004 | 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default drilling holes

my buddy's car just got a cd changer installed. it was an older model changer, so the mounts are different than the newer ls1-style mounts. anyway, we drilled holes in his trunk area and screwed the changer in. the screws, from looking underneath the car, look like water will get on them easily. i'm just wondering if it's possible that the zinc screws will rust, or if water will somehow work it's way into the car threw the hole i drilled (even though there is a screw there, there may be some penetrable area?) and rust anywhere? what would you suggest i do? or do you imagine it's fine? thanks.
Old 02-26-2004 | 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Use silicone to seal up the holes otherwise it will rust and water will probably get in (over time).
Old 02-26-2004 | 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

so just put the silicone on the underside of the car, where the screws are? will the screws come undone in the future if i need to get them out, or will the silicone hold them in? thanks.
Old 02-26-2004 | 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

use silicone, it'll stop the water and youll still be able to pull the screws off easily
Old 02-26-2004 | 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just put some over the screws. they were already screwed in, so i don't know if that makes any difference. they've got a layer over the underside of them now, so i think that should be good. maybe?
Old 02-26-2004 | 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that should be enough. You mainly just want to keep water out, so just on the outside (underside) over the screw to seal it. You shouldn't have any trouble removing them if need be. Just plug the holes completely if you do.
Old 02-26-2004 | 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. i figured the screw probably seals up any connection between the outer part and inner part of the car. also i assume that since the underside of the car doesn't rust, then the whole piece of metal doesn't rust, and therefore, the metal that i drilled into wouldn't rust even if a small portion of water were to find it's way inside the car. either way, i hate drilling into cars, no matter what the case may be. i wish it had come stock so that i didn't and don't feel bad for doing it myself. kinda dumb, huh?