New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC makes my oil pressure go insane!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC makes my oil pressure go insane!

From my understanding, turning the a/c on makes your engine work harder so I can see it having an affect on oil pressure. But my guage goes insane when I turn my ac on during a hot day, car also seems to lose 40% of its power which I know power loss normally happens when using the ac but when I drive other sports cars they don't really feel like they lose as much power as I do with the ac on, for example 350z, g37, rx-8 and the new 5.0 stang just a few I recently drove. But I'm more worried about why the oil pressure will flicker from 40-55 every few seconds when I'm at idle. If the car sits for to long with the ac the pressure will bounce below 40 and back up non stop. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

if you're losing that much power just by turning the ac on I'd say check the compressor... if there's a problem there it could explain the loss of power and funky oil pressure
Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

dont trust a dummy gauge.........get a real gauge on there to verify
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by TankTheTurtle
if you're losing that much power just by turning the ac on I'd say check the compressor... if there's a problem there it could explain the loss of power and funky oil pressure
Good advice.

You shouldn't feel much difference in power at WOT with the A/C on or off, since the compressor clutch should disengage at WOT. Some performance reduction at lower rpms/part throttle application (when the compressor is still engaged) should be expected though.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Good advice.

You shouldn't feel much difference in power at WOT with the A/C on or off, since the compressor clutch should disengage at WOT. Some performance reduction at lower rpms/part throttle application (when the compressor is still engaged) should be expected though.
x2 on that. The compressor could be starting to lock up even if it doesnt sound like its going out. I've seen cars completely die if you engage the compressor while its locked up. This should def be your starting point to look at.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Teching In

I think it's just the stock gauge, I hear they are pretty inaccurate.

Quick Reply: AC makes my oil pressure go insane!