Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I like turtles.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,182 Posts

K&N has no place on an MAF car, IMO. It doesn't matter how careful you are with the oil, over the years it will build up on MAF wires. It's just a hassle that I don't need or want for an item that, frankly, can't possibily give you more that 1-2hp.

I do still have one on my carbed SBC, but one day I'll probably ditch that as well. The Kool-aid doesn't work on me anymore.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk i had one one my car for a couple years with a MAF and oiled the hell out of it and it never did anything. im SD now so my MAF is sittin on a shelf takin up space but yes k&n has excelent marketing and more power to them but i wouldnt completely hate on them and as they say it pays for itself idk about yall but here a recharge kit is like 9 bucks and after havin the car for awhile all those normal paper filter changes will eventually overcome the cost of a k&n it just will bottom line. for longevity its kind of a why not thing. i dont really advocate k&n but i do not like paper filters at all they are a joke i think any sort of aftermarket filter is better not just the k&n
Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always go w/ a filter that doesn't require to use oil for a recharge like Amsoil.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Forums: where everyone has to have the last word. <3

I'm running a K&N on my car because it was on it when I got the car, but my next filter will be an Amsoil filter. If I found a K&N really cheap, I'd buy one. My experience does not include any negatives on them.

Playing devil's advocate here... Element, what studies can you provide to show dirty oil due 100% to the use of a K&N filter. Not saying they don't exist, but you are telling whigham about his "small test group". Let's see the opposite "small test group" that had dirty oil.
They are all over the oil forums. People with K&N filters have elevated silicon levels that are 2-4x as high that drop as soon as they ditch the K&N.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
K&N threads - always more fun than watching atheists and Catholics go at it.
Well played, sir.

Last edited by dr_whigham; 07-31-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Speaking of Silicon in engine oil analysis, here's a good argumantative thread..... Hard to believe elevated silicon levels could be from an air filter alone. This is from Black Stone Labs

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/the-silicon-bugaboo.php
Old 07-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Launching!

how is any excessive amount of dirt gonna get in the oil from the intake system i just dont see it happening i mean lets be real if thats the case if your intake system wasnt sealed properly youd change the oil to find bugs and leaves and what not its just kinda out there
Old 07-31-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

A DEALER air filter is like 20 bucks. I see nothing wrong with just a good ol paper a/c delco filter.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

K&N isn't the best at filtrating the air, but it filtrates it enough while maintaining consistent airflow.

I hate how easy paper filters collapse and crinkle with ease while DD a car, ugh
All the K&N's I found have held their shape fairly well, thx to its preshaped mesh. That gives a thumbs up for me, and I have been very happy with the product.

The overall cost of ownership is roughly (much emphasis on roughly) the same cost vs a oem filter replaced every 3 months (or whatever interval its suppose to be)

I live rather far from a parts store, so driving to and from, especially with these gas prices, is rather very inconvenient for me just to buy a 11 dollar filter. When I can buy a K&n, has a 10 year warranty, keeps its shape longer, decent filtration, and reusable, along with fewer trips to the parts store. Need I say more?

Here is a unbiased Test i found, which actually shows how much dirt is trapped, filtrated, and let through between a few different filters.

And I quote:

"How they were tested.

The filters were tested on the quality of the filtration, simulated by using a vacuum cleaner and millions of microscopic dirt particles. The particles that penetrated the air filter, were collected on a secondary paper filter, so that a fair comparison could be performed, and the results could be compared like for like. As well as the fine particle test, the performance gains were also measured using each of the induction kits in the test. Therefore, in the quest to find the ultimate induction kit, the filters must not only filter the particles out efficiently, but must maximize the amount of clean air flow, through the filter. The winner would be the induction kit that filters the most dirt particles, whilst acheiving the maxmimum power output of the vehicle."

Just scroll down and take a look for yourself, it gives actual pictures of what was captured and let through, along with HP gains (i got this from a skyline forum)

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

If there is another test out there that compares filters side by side in terms of filtration, I REALLY want to see it, so I can have a more accurate opinion next time I shop for filters. Unfortunately, its hard to come by such tests, especially ones that try to debunk a k&n filter. These word of mouth assumptions about k&n are getting out of hand, both for and against, atleast prove one way or another before flaming each other.

Judging by this particular test, I am content with the results.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Canbarelygo
how is any excessive amount of dirt gonna get in the oil from the intake system i just dont see it happening i mean lets be real if thats the case if your intake system wasnt sealed properly youd change the oil to find bugs and leaves and what not its just kinda out there
Yeah because bugs and leaves are small enough to make it past the rings... And if they somehow magically did the oil filter would pick them up.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
K&N isn't the best at filtrating the air, but it filtrates it enough while maintaining consistent airflow.

I hate how easy paper filters collapse and crinkle with ease while DD a car, ugh
All the K&N's I found have held their shape fairly well, thx to its preshaped mesh. That gives a thumbs up for me, and I have been very happy with the product.

The overall cost of ownership is roughly (much emphasis on roughly) the same cost vs a oem filter replaced every 3 months (or whatever interval its suppose to be)

I live rather far from a parts store, so driving to and from, especially with these gas prices, is rather very inconvenient for me just to buy a 11 dollar filter. When I can buy a K&n, has a 10 year warranty, keeps its shape longer, decent filtration, and reusable, along with fewer trips to the parts store. Need I say more?

Here is a unbiased Test i found, which actually shows how much dirt is trapped, filtrated, and let through between a few different filters.

And I quote:

"How they were tested.

The filters were tested on the quality of the filtration, simulated by using a vacuum cleaner and millions of microscopic dirt particles. The particles that penetrated the air filter, were collected on a secondary paper filter, so that a fair comparison could be performed, and the results could be compared like for like. As well as the fine particle test, the performance gains were also measured using each of the induction kits in the test. Therefore, in the quest to find the ultimate induction kit, the filters must not only filter the particles out efficiently, but must maximize the amount of clean air flow, through the filter. The winner would be the induction kit that filters the most dirt particles, whilst acheiving the maxmimum power output of the vehicle."

Just scroll down and take a look for yourself, it gives actual pictures of what was captured and let through, along with HP gains (i got this from a skyline forum)

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

If there is another test out there that compares filters side by side in terms of filtration, I REALLY want to see it, so I can have a more accurate opinion next time I shop for filters. Unfortunately, its hard to come by such tests, especially ones that try to debunk a k&n filter. These word of mouth assumptions about k&n are getting out of hand, both for and against, atleast prove one way or another before flaming each other.

Judging by this particular test, I am content with the results.
http://www.autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-t...szuroteszt.pdf

http://www.jpmagazine.com/shop4parts...des/index.html
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,182 Posts

Originally Posted by Canbarelygo
but i do not like paper filters at all they are a joke
I'm not laughing.

Paper is no joke when it comes to filtering; they are better *filters*, there is no question in my mind. K&N might be worth 1-2hp, but it's not worth the hassle of washing/oiling, and they will often cause oily build-up on the MAF over long periods of time.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not gonna lie, that first link I'm gonna have to study it a little bit to understand the language and math haha

I'll just take your word for it lol

So I'm perfectly clear with everyone, I never said it was the best at filtration, but it exceeds my expectations and, for my demo-graphical situation, K&N is still more convenient for me since they don't sell Amsoil or AES filters close to me, its either Fram, Ac Delco, or K&N .. unfortunately, those charts & graphs don't compare either one or the two

edit: btw, thx for sharing the links

Last edited by LeanPocket; 07-31-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-01-2011, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
I'm not gonna lie, that first link I'm gonna have to study it a little bit to understand the language and math haha

I'll just take your word for it lol

So I'm perfectly clear with everyone, I never said it was the best at filtration, but it exceeds my expectations and, for my demo-graphical situation, K&N is still more convenient for me since they don't sell Amsoil or AES filters close to me, its either Fram, Ac Delco, or K&N .. unfortunately, those charts & graphs don't compare either one or the two

edit: btw, thx for sharing the links
There's always mail order :shrug: I like the dry ones since you just vacuum them or wash them with dish soap and let them dry, and there's no oil to mess with the MAF. The only reason I went with the AFE over a regular paper is the pleats are a bit shorter and there is a gap between them that lets the air get to the front of the filter. I'm running a lid on an LT1 car and the radiator support doesn't flatten out in the center so space is tight in there.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
The only problem with that is that the engine is limited to how much air it can take in without F/I. So just because it flows a little better does not mean the paper filter is restrictive (in terms of producing more HP).
totally agree.
also another thing, DO NOT spray your MAF with carb cleaner, that was a total dumbass suggestion!!! my bad.
use specially designed cleaner for the MAF!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Holy Jesus.

..... I didn't mean to start all this commotion.. O.o
Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2 cents

Originally Posted by N/A_gets_you_laid
So I changed out my air filter today and when I asked about the k&n air filter is was 65 bucks as compared to the normal 11 dollar standard discount autoparts air filter. What's the big difference? Does it really even increase horse power?
Btw, I took the thrifty approach and bought the 11 dollar air filter.. lol.
I now have a 99 Trans Am and was thinking of getting the K&N set up. ($419) Years ago I had a 95 Formula LT-1. The car would not rip out unless power braked. 16" standard rims. After a K&N filter install the car was able to do a burn out without power braking. A definite difference but not mind blowing. Soooo, I don't know.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I know this is a old thread, but Green Filters seem to be better. I put one in my daily and it runs smoother.
Any other people have experiences with them?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

The only ones who think a K&N isn't better that a paper filter are the ones who can't afford the K&N. The guys with the $20k engines and $10k turbo setups. Those guys.

Oh wait......

Quick Reply: K&N air filter really that good?