New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending on how much you use your boat & how many GOOD friends you have with trucks (), you could always borrow a friend's vehicle to tow your boat every now & then.....at least til you were able to get a separate vehicle, maybe?? i know that wouldnt work for long-term purposes, but it'd be a whole lot better than risking towing a boat w/a camaro.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well like I said, I won't get a z. I go out on the boat just about every weekend, along with my friends. I will just have to wait is all.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Did it with a 3rg Gen and my conclusion is: you'd have to be out of your mind(I was, boating gets in your head).

It was an 18' open bow with an IO.

First off the boat and trailer outweighed the car enough that stopping on downhills was not impossible, but VERY tricky.

Second, I was only able to tow the boat about 4 hours(2 to lake and 2 back) bafore the diffy(no real difference between 3rd and 4th gens) gave out. Looking back, I'm lucky that was the worst that happened. The rear in these cars is not designed to carry that kind of weight for any length of time(some would say PEROID).

Even if you have modded your way past the second problem, you are still faced with the first.

Oh and I actually did not have a problem with the boat pulling the car in at the launch. In fact that part really wasn't that bad. Thank God it wasn't a 'Vette.

Conclusion:

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT!!!

FWIW,
Old 03-13-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a hard time believing that the rear is the problem. Especially since I have had that rear in 2 of the 3 s10s that I have had. I pulled the boat plenty of times with them. Although my boat is 21' total weight including the trailer is no more than 2500 lbs. The truck I had when I bought the boat was a 93 gmc sonoma with a 2.8 v-6 5 speed. But like I said, I won't be buying a camaro. More than likely since gm won't build a good ss truck I will be getting a lightning.