Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/ Headers/gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
You need a cat. As long as no ses lights are on, on the dash they hook up the obd2 scanner and check for trbl codes thats it.

A visual inspection is done, but if you have a fast or heads or cam it won't matter as long as you have cats and have all your trouble codes tuned out and/or have your car tuned correctly so you don't have to worry.
...wow a NC member. Not many of those on the internet thats for sure.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a 3600 stall from either FTI, Neal Chance, or Coan. Yank and PTC etc. are off the shelf converters and really aren't made for your application specifically. Does it mean they suck? No, I'd just prefer a part that was tailored to my car specifically. Greg at FTI is awesome to deal with and if you need a re-stall it's like 100 bucks and he'll have it back to you in days not weeks like some companies.

Get a lid, catted y-pipe from TSP, and TSP 1 7/8" headers.
Then get a 3600 stall from said companies above& a good tranny cooler(must with stall)
160* thermostat and ported and polished TB is what i would do next
Then start with suspension mods such as SFC's, LCA's with reloc. brackets, and a adj. PHB or adj. tq. arm and a good set of shocks and Drag Radials.

That should get you in the bottom 12's to 12 flat. No offense, but you don't have any track experience and are still in college so I'm sure your launch techniques and driving skills could be improved upon since car's with said mods above have run high 11's all day in good air.

Once you get good with the set-up the way I layed it out, then I would start looking into a cam.

Go ahead and be very careful with the size because if you go to small you will always be wanting to go bigger and then you'll go too big and hate it, or if you go to big to begin with you'll go back down and vice versa.

For you and the 3600 stall you will have and 3.23's I would get a 228R or 224/228 cam from TSP or TR. You could even pump it up to a Torquer V2 or V3, but that's about as big as I'd go on your first cam.

Get a cut-out and a good merge too after you do your cam swap, and get a new timing chain, oil pump, valve seals, lifters, pushrods, retainers and valve springs all at the same time.

Once you do all these things and if your 10 bolt stays alive you'll have a low 11 second car.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick V.
...wow a NC member. Not many of those on the internet thats for sure.
Go to the regional forums in the southern members section. There are more of us than you think!

I bought my car in Glen Allen, VA.

Check out F-body Beach Bash for next year, we just had it this year at Myrtle...lot's of locals there.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks man thats all really helpful.

And thanks for not being a dick like some of the members up here.

Theres always a few no matter where you are