Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slave cylinder/clutch kit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave cylinder/clutch kit...

So I'm considering buying an RX-7/LS1 complete car instead of building one but the guy says the slave cylinder has gone out and won't be replacing it. From what I read you have to drop the trans in order to access the cylinder (I've only ever worked on the style mounted to the outside of the bellhousing). Since I'll have to have the trans down to swap it out I might as well get a new clutch kit...

What is the best kit that comes with all of the necessary parts (pilot, PP, clutch disk and slave cylinder) and would you guys recommend a lightened flywheel for daily driving with this engine/trans? I don't want to make the car annoying to drive.

There's tons of companies selling them but I'm unfamiliar with domestic performance companies (I've only ever had Z32 300ZXs and a few trucks not worth modifying). Any help/feedback on kits appreciated!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i enjoy my act single disk clutch, new stock steel flywheel, and new gm slave, pedal feel is great and it doesnt give me problems. if the motor is stock id probably go with the gm slave and flywheel and an ls7 clutch kit.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9kredline
What is the best kit that comes with all of the necessary parts (pilot, PP, clutch disk and slave cylinder) and would you guys recommend a lightened flywheel for daily driving with this engine/trans? I don't want to make the car annoying to drive.
Well you do have some options, depending on power level. People will give suggestions on their personal exp and what they have seen from others. I can say I love my Textraila oz-700 z grip. ONE of the best street/strip single disk clutches out there, period. It is a little pricey but IMO well worth it. Others have put in a LS7 (stock type replacement), some have upgraded to Monster again all depending on the power level.

Given the lighter weight you should have a better time with clutches then most F body owners.

Yes, the slave needs to be replaced when you drop the trans. Just go to a GM dealer and get a pilot and 2002+ GM slave for a Fbody. Should be no issues there. Not sure if your clutch master has had the "drill mod" done to it but maybe something to think about when doing the job. not sure if there is a good upgrade to clutch master cyl for RX7's but worth a shot to look for it. Even an adjustible one would help with you swap the clutch.

As for the LW flywheel, I am not a fan for street cars due to the F body average street weight, but with your car you may be fine. The lighter the weight, the quicker the RPM's come up but they come down just as quickly and can definitly effect street manners and possibly track results (1/4mi) but be a positive for Auto-X. Really depends on intended use but the more you try to "slip" the clutch the more it can hurt it and some aftermarket units you really cannot do that with out seriously lowering the life expectancy.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder/clutch kit...