Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get a TA around 450rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
1998 Bright Red Camaro SS #731 a4 hardtop/cloth int | G2 Performance lid | Performance Granatelli MAF Sensor | Kooks Coated LT's| ORY | Ferno Bellow | Cut-Out | NGK TR-55IX | Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust w/ Missile Silo Tips | 3.73 Gears | 3600 Stall | Moroso Battery Relocation Kit | Ricky Fast Tuned | 315/35/17 NITTO 555r Drag Radials | Minor Weight Reduction

You said you were having a hard time surpassing 450Rwhp...? I don't see a cam and/or heads in here.

One thing to make life easier.. Switch to a nice merge... While you are at it I would switch to 1 7/8" headers.
nonono i never said I'm having trouble with my car reaching 450, i havent put it on dyno yet im prolly 330 or something.. no idea, jus guessing. I was referring to a few of my friends trying to hit 450 but they were always off by like 10 hp or something silly like that.

I believe mine are 1 7/8 headers, if they aren't I hear it does make a difference.
A merge is definitely in the works, but I'm highly considering a custom x w/ b4 axle dumps idk yet

Originally Posted by Latch
That car is a great example of how not properly matching your parts results in low dyno numbers. 228r cam, stock heads, cats, and a Flowmaster? Try again.
yup. those numbers are way to low, but would cats & flows really rob that much HP if hes only making 450 with everything? he did have a fast 92/92 and a cam

my guess is its not tuned properly, or not tuned at all
Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bedo
was looking to see what mods if would take to get around to 450 rwhp?

I know I will be getting headers for sure, and maybe an LS6 intake (unless I get an '02)

but just wonder what else? or is the only way to get to 450 is with forced induction?

and is it save for stock internals to be pushing that kind of HP?

thanks
A CAI kit, some bumper stickers, and a million LEDs.

But seriously, a well matched H/C combo with all the bolt-ons. Beyond that, without going FI, you could stroke the engine, and increase the compression ratio (which also improves gas mileage). FI: not necessary unless you want something that's extremely easy, and have the $ for it.

I know I will be getting headers for sure, and maybe an LS6 intake (unless I get an '02)
If you're thinking long term, stainless steel will last, 1 7/8. FAST is better than the LS6 intake, but costs more. Port the throttle body, do an X/H pipe, and a lid. See how that feels for power, then go for the stuff above

and is it save for stock internals to be pushing that kind of HP?
450, most likely no problem, but if the parts are already old, they may fail earlier than they would otherwise.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An intake is only as good as the heads allow it to be. He isn't gaining much with the fast.

Cats rob hp and depending on the flowmaster it could rob a lot or just a little.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Latch
That car is a great example of how not properly matching your parts results in low dyno numbers. 228r cam, stock heads, cats, and a Flowmaster? Try again.
I agree, I bought the car with this setup on it and was kind of confused as to why he didn't upgrade the heads when he did the cam... and everyone knows Flowmaster is a bad idea for LS motors. I think once I change the heads and exhaust, and re-tune I will be well over 400 without the nitrous. I have everything else already to get me there.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what is with you guys wanting to do a HVAC deleat to make 450 hp? thats just nonsense and its not going to net enouph HP to really be notice and if you want you could just deleate the A/C and keep the heat and get the same power results.

450HP is not hard to get, good seat of heads and a cam to match, got for a 11.1 compression atleast. Good intake setup and 1 7/8 headers with a good exaust system.

should be 450 and if your a little shy of 450 then get yourself a eletric water pump and underdrive pully and your good to go.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Dude, all you need is a some bumper stickers and you'll have your 450+ right there.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

OP- you really want to know the easiest way to obtain a guaranteed 450whp without sacrificing any luxuries, drivability, etc. Its called a good supercharger kit and nice exhaust.

Yes, the stock LS1 shortblock is safe at 450whp.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

stroke it with good heads/cam and exhaust.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
OP- you really want to know the easiest way to obtain a guaranteed 450whp without sacrificing any luxuries, drivability, etc. Its called a good nitrous kit.

Yes, the stock LS1 shortblock is safe at 450whp.
Fixed.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Fixed.
No, no, no lemons. I really meant a supercharger kit. Maybe I should have added the "best" way, for a street car that is

lemons- your code name should be Mr. Fix It lmao j/k I'm just f^ckin with ya
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, no, no lemons. I really meant a supercharger kit. Maybe I should have added the "best" way, for a street car that is

lemons- your code name should be Mr. Fix It lmao j/k I'm just f^ckin with ya
Eh, couple different ways to look at it.

I can think of more reasons a street car that you want reliable with little to nothing changed with the idle/mpg/powerband/etc... Would be better off with nitrous than a snail or blower.
I have thought for a long, long, long time about all the pros and cons of all three for a true street car. Turbo was counted out very quick. Blower held its own in my eyes for a while but was counted out later on. Blower has all the pros of both with very, very few cons. The only con that I can think of that matters to myself, the power isn't there 24/7. However, for me.. I don't need the power unless I'm racing, otherwise I'm just BSing around and could care less.

And I'll take that name, I've been called worse!!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Eh, couple different ways to look at it.

I can think of more reasons a street car that you want reliable with little to nothing changed with the idle/mpg/powerband/etc... Would be better off with nitrous than a snail or blower.
I have thought for a long, long, long time about all the pros and cons of all three for a true street car. Turbo was counted out very quick. Blower held its own in my eyes for a while but was counted out later on. Blower has all the pros of both with very, very few cons. The only con that I can think of that matters to myself, the power isn't there 24/7. However, for me.. I don't need the power unless I'm racing, otherwise I'm just BSing around and could care less.

And I'll take that name, I've been called worse!!

I think the main reason a supercharger is preferred for a street car is that there's no worries of running out of it, like running out of juice in the bottle.
But I see what you mean. Hints why my car already makes approx. 500hp N/A and is probably getting bottle feed strictly for the reasoning you mentioned, for racing. The thing is I don't drive my car a lot and I surely don't do much racing.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the main reason a supercharger is preferred for a street car is that there's no worries of running out of it, like running out of juice in the bottle.
But I see what you mean. Hints why my car already makes approx. 500hp N/A and is probably getting bottle feed strictly for the reasoning you mentioned, for racing. The thing is I don't drive my car a lot and I surely don't do much racing.
No doubt.

If I do go out for a night of racing however, I might get 5 run MAX... And thats if there is a whole lot of nice cars out.
I'm not stupid enough to go out with a bottle 1/4 empty, its not that expensive or hard to get it filled.
Chances of me being caught without enough giggle gas is slim to none. A 100 shot will last me a solid 10 sprays, more than enough for a full weekend of fun.

Plus... When you are door to door on the first run and then pull 8 lengths on the second run people are like WTF!?

Nitrous is it IMO.. I will own a procharger car in the future at some point because I have love for them both, but nitrous is hard to beat for many reasons.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Teching In

nitrous is fun but there is nothing like boosted cars imo, they are just much more fun to drive...
Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

2000 ss full bolt ons cam stock heads 415whp. Easy 450whp with some heads.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 19kiloz28
2000 ss full bolt ons cam stock heads 415whp. Easy 450whp with some heads.
Can you list your setup? And show your numbers? I also have full bolt ons and a TSP 228r and cannot get past 390 on my 99Z.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

Is a stall converter needed for all this?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brcampbe
Can you list your setup? And show your numbers? I also have full bolt ons and a TSP 228r and cannot get past 390 on my 99Z.
How about you list your complete mod list and i help you, your car has nothing to do woth anyone elses.

First, remember that an auto and dyno numbers mean nothing. It's all about the et that shows how an auto is performing. I make 377rwhp full weight and ran the times in sig barely spinning in 2200+da.
Originally Posted by exodus_gs1
Is a stall converter needed for all this?
An autos first mod should be a converter, it is needed to get an auto run the expected time with any mods. They are dogs without a larger torque converter.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

450 whp= stall, decent size shelf cam with supporting mods, good pair of heads prolly stage 2 or 3 or set of 205-215 and milled, fast 90 or equivelant, good free flowing intake to the manifold, GOOD 1 3/4 stepped headers to 1 7/8, HF cats with 3 inch y pipe, 25-30% UD pulley. generally that should do'er
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My car:

ETP 215's, S7 cam w/110lsa, stock block, Fast 90 with Nick Williams ported, 36# injectors, 25% underdrive pulley, Hooker long tubes, stock bottom end, Hooker off road Y pipe w/QTP cutout, Still have AC, SLP lid, Smooth bellow, stock fuel system, tuned.

I make 455rhp 400rwtq. Upgraded rear end though. Strange 9" with Detroit Locker. Stock tranny still but next year will be Tick stage 2 and RST.

Quick Reply: how to get a TA around 450rwhp?