Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skopers3
Not true across the river. Here in Lincoln there's only one gas station (a truck stop just out of town) that has ethanol-free premium.
Damn rich farmers!
Oh wait...
<---------------

Exactly right. There is 1 (one) franchise in Omaha area (Fantasy's Phillips 66) that has the 93 octane my car is tuned to run on. There are a few places that have 91 with no ethanol, but I had serious problems after running that stuff in another car. I use the 93 only, and just change my fuel filter often, on the assumption that the ethanol is corroding it. I don't worry about mpg in my Camaro, so I haven't checked how it affects that.

To the OP, when you say the 87 caused knock... Is this something you detected with a scan tool or through degraded performance? My understanding is the knock sensors should simply trigger "knock retard" when knock is detected. That would cause degraded performance. If a gasoline triggers perceptible knock, I would be concerned that low octane was not the only problem with it.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always ran premium. It's what, 30 cents more per gallon than 87...that's like ~$5 a tank IF you get a full tank. If you can't afford $5 to run your car the way it supposed to be ran, you are too big of a broke dick ****** to own the car.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssick
if you can't afford $5 to run your car the way it supposed to be ran, you are too big of a broke dick ****** to own the car.
lmfao!!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WSsick
I always ran premium. It's what, 30 cents more per gallon than 87...that's like ~$5 a tank IF you get a full tank. If you can't afford $5 to run your car the way it supposed to be ran, you are too big of a broke dick ****** to own the car.
OMFG LMAOOOO thats the funniest thing i heard all week
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Haha!!! Any military guys run the aafes 91? That's what I use just wondering where it comes from
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bones_c
Haha!!! Any military guys run the aafes 91? That's what I use just wondering where it comes from
I'm so pissed they just dropped 93 on base, it's now 91. SOO, I drive to the offbase Shell now.

On the fuel issue, my car was tuned on 93 octane, so I prefer not to use 91, even if the car calls for it stock. Recently, I was extremely broke due to installing my Moser 9", and I needed some gas, and all I had was a gas jug used for my mower. It was clean fresh gas, just 87 octane. It drove completely fine for the few days until I filled up with 93, but in those few days, if I had to give it more gas than required for cruising you would sometimes hear some popping/hesitation
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
If you can't afford $5 to run your car the way it supposed to be ran, you are too big of a broke dick ****** to own the car.
You guys are a riot.

If you're that other kind of broke-dick ****** that races everywhere he goes so everyone can see what an awesomely bad dude he is, yeah, buy premium. You need all the help you can get, Bro'.

For the rest of us regular folk, if you have your owner's manual or can find one on the web, you'll see that it says there's absolutely nothing wrong with running 87, but for better performance you would want to use 91 or better. This is an old subject, and it's all be hashed out a bucket full of times. Try the search button.

If you use 91 you'll get better mileage but it costs more. If you use 87 you will get slightly less mileage but it costs less. In the end, it's a wash.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 09-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

In the end of the day, we're still giving them money.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
If you use 91 you'll get better mileage but it costs more. If you use 87 you will get slightly less mileage but it costs less. In the end, it's a wash.
exactly thats why using 91 makes more sence. if it's a wash, then using 91 is free hp.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fry_
exactly thats why using 91 makes more sence. if it's a wash, then using 91 is free hp.
do you NEED hp when you daily driving? I mean you shouldnt have a problem working that mustang gt in the next lane on 87 anyway...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
do you NEED hp when you daily driving? I mean you shouldnt have a problem working that mustang gt in the next lane on 87 anyway...
While you won't need the power, you probably don't want to risk detonation as well.
I think Ill pay a fraction more at the pump so I don't have to worry about my engine pinging...

While you are playing devils advocate here, why do you need to DD a 350hp V8 car?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could probably use 100-150 more hp for DDing after running into a Lotus a few weeks back, but I'll still take the 5 free hp any day of the week.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fry_
That all depends...

If you're the kind of driver that "needs" the small percentage of hp that 91 will give, then pay up and enjoy yourself. Revel in it while you can afford it. Smoke 'em while you got 'em. Buy 91 and mash that gas pedal.

Later on, when you have multiple cars, multiple kids, multiple bank loans, multiple ex-wives payments, car repairs, house repairs, 7 vehicles worth of insurance, retirement savings to make, food for the household, movies, cable, a phone for everyone over 10, tools, parts, and the occasional brewski...you'll appreciate every spare dime you can save. Each step along the way you'll give up something for something else. Constant mashing the gas and wearing away of those expensive tires is one of those things for most. Occasionally, smoking tires, two long an arcing black marks, the scream of the engine, and the thrill of it all will help retain your sanity.

Not everybody lives the same life. It's all good.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
While you won't need the power, you probably don't want to risk detonation as well.
I think Ill pay a fraction more at the pump so I don't have to worry about my engine pinging...

While you are playing devils advocate here, why do you need to DD a 350hp V8 car?
Because i can only afford to own one car... lol However, I still spend the extra $5 to get premium. and I only run Royal Purple fluids
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
That all depends...

If you're the kind of driver that "needs" the small percentage of hp that 91 will give, then pay up and enjoy yourself. Revel in it while you can afford it. Smoke 'em while you got 'em. Buy 91 and mash that gas pedal.

Later on, when you have multiple cars, multiple kids, multiple bank loans, multiple ex-wives payments, car repairs, house repairs, 7 vehicles worth of insurance, retirement savings to make, food for the household, movies, cable, a phone for everyone over 10, tools, parts, and the occasional brewski...you'll appreciate every spare dime you can save. Each step along the way you'll give up something for something else. Constant mashing the gas and wearing away of those expensive tires is one of those things for most. Occasionally, smoking tires, two long an arcing black marks, the scream of the engine, and the thrill of it all will help retain your sanity.

Not everybody lives the same life. It's all good.
I share several items on your list, however I have avoided the following:

....multiple kids, multiple bank loans, multiple ex-wives payments, movies, cable, a phone for everyone over 10.....

By avoiding those items, I'm able to buy the premium for my LS1s. But I put the cheap 87 in my Nova.... I mean why not, it's got 8.5:1 heads on it right now so more octane is not only a waste but it reduces performance.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

IMO if you can't afford to pay an extra $4-5 for ever 3-400 miles you put on your car, you can't afford the car. That's like buying an expensive car and only putting liability insurance on it because you can't afford full coverage, or buying a high power RWD car where there is snow all winter and not having a winter car. If you can't afford all things that go with owning a sports car you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

91+ in all my toys. Wouldn't run anything else in the car or quad, and the truck gets 4-5MPG better and more power with it.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've put 89 (mid-grade) into my 1999 Formula since I bought it in July. The next few times I fill up though I'm putting in Premium 93 before it gets dyno'ed, plus prices are dropping.

But I recently thought about it and realized that Premium is $0.12 more per gallon than medium so basically if you fill up 10 gallons you're only spending $1.20 more for premium so i'll try to remember that from now on and just get the 93
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
or buying a high power RWD car where there is snow all winter and not having a winter car.
I've put an LS1 F-body through several Chicago winters, they do just fine with the proper tires, weight and some decent driving skill.

I actually bought my '02 LS1 as a beater to keep my '98 LS1 nice. But I think I might stop driving the '02 car in the winter too....only because I hate to see the salt continue tearing it apart. So yeah I'd be buying a beater for my beater.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

I run 87 everytime, everyday. Jk

I ran across this craigslist ad for a ws6 claiming to got tuned for 87 or 89.

Originally Posted by gocartone
That's like buying an expensive car and only putting liability insurance on it because you can't afford full coverage, or buying a high power RWD car where there is snow all winter and not having a winter car. If you can't afford all things that go with owning a sports car you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
I have liability insurance on mine. I've driven Camaros through snow, wasn't too fun but whatever.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

87 user here. Guess I'm one of the only one's lmao!

Quick Reply: Which Gas?