Sponsored by:

Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My budget build is
Lid-$50
Longtube's/ory dumped-$280 for everything except 02 sensors.
Chris1313 cold air-$200
Dry kit $400
Tune about $300-400

I have an m6 so I got a clutch/tick master but you could get a stall for $5-700 with a cooler.

Suspension is gonna be lcas and panhard(50-$200)

And I got drag radials on saladshooters $80

Na I think im hoping for 12.6 125 shot who know's and ill want a rear first.

Obviously I'm skipping a lot of stuff people get but this is a serious budget dd that has to be reliable so I'm saving about $1000 by skipping a catback,ls6 and ported tb/smooth bellows.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a loud mouth cat back for sale in a month.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

Yea I have seen the free mods, I dont have egr, and im not sure how to go about the tb coolant line, and I have never ported anything so im not sure if I wanna start on my dd lol and if im gunna spend the 100 dollars on a ported one ill just buy a bigger on
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

What weight reduction could I do but keep a stock look and keep my backseat for the up and coming kid? Also what's a good suspension setup to start peeping for? I'd like to hook but not so well I put it on the bumper
And wayfast is that you setup what you listed?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by exodus_gs1
What weight reduction could I do but keep a stock look and keep my backseat for the up and coming kid? Also what's a good suspension setup to start peeping for? I'd like to hook but not so well I put it on the bumper
The golden budget suspension is Bilstein shocks with Strano springs. For weight reduction, you can do speakers, AC, K-member, EGR/AIR, lighter wheels, clear the trunk, don't fill up all the way, all that stuff. You can also consider removing your T-Tops and replace them with a Targa from 6LE. A fiberglass hood will also cut some weight
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calm down... Take some advice with a grain of salt.
I'll be on my comp tomorrow and post up.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Calm down... Take some advice with a grain of salt.
I'll be on my comp tomorrow and post up.
Ok cool thanks man, Cause I use this as a dd and no music or ac would suck.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a wet tnt power ring kit I might sell idk.

Like lemons said auto's show there power at the track.

I was gonna use mine for a dd/weekend warrior. I wanna keep my car to where I can drive it on 2 hour drives and what not but im leaning more towards the extreme side now haha.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I wouldn't take them out either. But some people drive up north and don't need AC, and others don't listen to music at all, so the loss of music doesn't bother them.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kev SS
I have a wet tnt power ring kit I might sell idk.

Like lemons said auto's show there power at the track.

I was gonna use mine for a dd/weekend warrior. I wanna keep my car to where I can drive it on 2 hour drives and what not but im leaning more towards the extreme side now haha.
That's how I am and I will also probably go extreme down the road but I wanna keep it somewhat mild and functional cause my wife rides with me so ya.

Originally Posted by Metal Muscle
Yeah, I wouldn't take them out either. But some people drive up north and don't need AC, and others don't listen to music at all, so the loss of music doesn't bother them.
Yea well Oklahoma summers are killer and music keeps my head on straight when stuck in traffic.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

So whats the difference between the chris1313 intake and the slp cold air system? they look like they do the same thing and for an extra hundred you can get the slp lid, filter, and bellow. Andis there anymore BG ram air kits out there?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well my buddy has an 04 gto with exhaust and a tune and made 311hp and ran a best of 13.7 spinning and hopping like crazy, then my other buddy has a 03 mustang gt and made 253hp and ran a best of 13.8... then I put down 315hp and they have both beat me in a heads up race. the gto by a car and ahalf where as the gt by half car. So I would like low 12's high 11's as cheap and fast as I can. I know thats not do able on a low budget just where I wanna be. and what do you think of stage 2.5 ls6 heads?
Are they both manuals?

Low 12s/high 11s as cheap and fast as you can? Nitrous, period.

PRC ls6 heads are nice but there are more options for the same price that perform better. First being AI Ls6 heads, for the money they can't be beat.

Originally Posted by gs462
Which ported throttle body would you guys use? I'm ready to order one.
Go on Ebay.. The "*****" TB. You will know which one I'm talking about when you see it!
They or jantzer or however it is spelled.

What about a shift kit? like a beefed up valve body? would that help at all? and what about a hammer shifter? My sister as a 81 z28 with a b&m quick silver shifter and that thing is nuts and makes shifting so much easier. almost like just putting it in drive. also how do yall race at the track? trac on or off, and do you drop it down to one and shift up? Im new to a fast auto I usually race manuals so this auto tranny thing is blowing my mind
Don't waste your money.
Leave your car in D (3rd) and let it do its own thing. Traction control off.

Yea I have seen the free mods, I dont have egr, and im not sure how to go about the tb coolant line, and I have never ported anything so im not sure if I wanna start on my dd lol and if im gunna spend the 100 dollars on a ported one ill just buy a bigger on
Don't spend the money on a larger TB, you won't benefit much from it.. About as much as getting the stock one worked over, and you will save money.
Do not do weight reduction on a DD. I plan on running 6s, full weight with a baby cam and "budget" build.

Suspension? LCA/front shocks/TQ arm.
The golden budget suspension is Bilstein shocks with Strano springs. For weight reduction, you can do speakers, AC, K-member, EGR/AIR, lighter wheels, clear the trunk, don't fill up all the way, all that stuff. You can also consider removing your T-Tops and replace them with a Targa from 6LE. A fiberglass hood will also cut some weight
You miss the part about DD?
Do not start taking **** out, you won't enjoy the car and it is not needed to have a stout street car. Been there, done that.
So whats the difference between the chris1313 intake and the slp cold air system? they look like they do the same thing and for an extra hundred you can get the slp lid, filter, and bellow. Andis there anymore BG ram air kits out there?
Chrs1313 is superior, period.
Slp lid is 80$ new IIRC.. The bellow doesn't do anything... And you can get better looking ones for much much cheaper. Stock paper filter out flows a K&N filter.

Buy Chrs1313 ram air and an slp lid.. Save 20$ or whatever it is and have more gain.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

If you only wanna go high 12's... I would do full bolt ons and a converter...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mean87SS
If you only wanna go high 12's... I would do full bolt ons and a converter...
A quality converter and sticky tires/tune should get you there.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Well, you can do the stall, but it'll damage your fuel economy, which you have to worry about on a budget.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, you can do the stall, but it'll damage your fuel economy, which you have to worry about on a budget.
A converter is a must with an automatic and anyone who cares about an ET. Period.

You will drop 2-3 mph TOPS with a quality 3600 converter. Highway (40+) will remain identical.

For the performance trade off, it can't be beat. A cam will effect it more than that.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

And also guys... It is a torque converter, not a stall.

Why that is the new term for it, I have no idea.. Laziness while typing I suppose?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Ok cool, so chris1313 + slp lid, full exhaust, tune, some zom zoom juice, and converter with a good pair of sticky tires and ill be doing pretty well. and yes both my friends are manuals thats how they get me. they shift harder and faster then my car does. But my cars has 1,2,3,D so I still just put it in D turn off T/C and let her roll. O and we just had a very rainy weekend how would a chris1313 do in the rain?

And lemons yet again thanks for the help and know how. One of these days ill be out of your hair and not bugging with noob questions
Old 10-10-2011, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

O and we just had a very rainy weekend how would a chris1313 do in the rain?
In the rain, fine. Just don't drive through a lake
Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok cool, so chris1313 + slp lid, full exhaust, tune, some zom zoom juice, and converter with a good pair of sticky tires and ill be doing pretty well. and yes both my friends are manuals thats how they get me. they shift harder and faster then my car does. But my cars has 1,2,3,D so I still just put it in D turn off T/C and let her roll. O and we just had a very rainy weekend how would a chris1313 do in the rain?

And lemons yet again thanks for the help and know how. One of these days ill be out of your hair and not bugging with noob questions
With those mods you should be able to turn some low 11s@120+ pretty easily. Don't forget a couple suspension pieces.. lca and front shocks will do.
Leave the car in 3rd, from a dig or roll. You shouldn't be WOT in 4th/od or d in your car anyway, good way to burn the trans up.

Don't drive through any lakes... plenty of people dd, just don't be stupid.

Not a problem, thanks for the acknowledgment.. There will be five more come along to take your place.
There are no stupid questions.

Quick Reply: Budget Build