Sponsored by:

straight line to corner carver

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight line to corner carver

Hi all,

Looking to get into lapping days on a road course next year. Done with drag racing in this car. I feel like its just too fragile. Basically I want to hear some opinions on what chassis/suspension/brake/tire mods to look into this winter. I want something that will fair pretty decently on a circuit. Car will stay full weight as it will be a street car as well. I have an extra set of 02 WS6 rims to put a nice sticky tire on. Looking to spend $3k max

Car:
02 WS6 M6
lid
ORY
Long Tubes
4.10 gear
91 octane tune
Old 10-23-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beltrame02WS6
Hi all,

Looking to get into lapping days on a road course next year. Done with drag racing in this car. I feel like its just too fragile. Basically I want to hear some opinions on what chassis/suspension/brake/tire mods to look into this winter. I want something that will fair pretty decently on a circuit. Car will stay full weight as it will be a street car as well. I have an extra set of 02 WS6 rims to put a nice sticky tire on. Looking to spend $3k max

Car:
02 WS6 M6
lid
ORY
Long Tubes
4.10 gear
91 octane tune
i would put koni single adjustable shocks on your list first - do not compromise here, trust me.

springs: either strano or bmr (strano copies) since they have the spring rates just right.

sway bars: 35mm front and 22mm rear

panhard bar if you don't already have one (recommend adjustable with rod ends or roto joints)

and tires. your choice really. i would get the suspension set up first and get used to it before you start pushing the limits on a set of sticky tires.
tires will probably put you over the $3k mark with this list. the more grip, the faster they wear out. if you are going to have a separate set of rims, i recommend R compound tires. a lot of guys seem to like the Toyo RA1 which you can drive on the street also (but don't expect too many miles out of them). if you wont be driving on the street, you could go for a kumho v710, hoosier r6, etc.

i would check the rulebooks wherever you're intending to go road racing to get an idea of what class these modifications put you in. check with sam strano (sponsor here who autox'd his fbody to countless wins) on here also.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitto NT05's with the strano springs/bars/Koni sa's with a double adjustable PHB or even better a Watts link. Better brake pads/fluid and consider SFC's. This is a start but depending on coin and how serious you wanna get you can keep going....
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Nitto NT05's with the strano springs/bars/Koni sa's with a double adjustable PHB or even better a Watts link. Better brake pads/fluid and consider SFC's. This is a start but depending on coin and how serious you wanna get you can keep going....
Yea if your serious about handling, opt for the Watts link if you've got the cash

Midwest chassis makes one and Strano sells one as well. He also has handling packages you should check out, Strano knows his stuff just give him a call.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

call sam strano. he kicks *** with fbodies. just watch his videos.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're looking for competition, then digest the rules first to see what you (and your competition) are allowed to do and how competitive your car can be based upon what you're willing to do vs a maxed-prepped vehicle.

Moneywise, I'd say start with lots of seat time and safety/braking equipment first. For brakes, at least start with some OEM C6 calipers and matching components, assuming they fit your sets of wheels. For safety a good racing seat which doesn't flex and braces against at least a roll cage. Snell 2005+ helmet, firesuit, etc. I'd recommend learning on street tires.

For parts I'd have a chat with Sam. Finally, I'd say to visit frrax.com because that's the reason for that website.

Edit: I forgot to mention the 4.10 gears will likely be too short for road course duty. Depending upon the course you may be spending a lot of time in 5th gear.

Quick Reply: straight line to corner carver