Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 99 Trans Am, order of upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Being its an A4, my first modification would be to upgrade the Torque Converter.

I don't have any experience with this modification (my car is an M6), but everything I've read on this site has me confident that this will be the first thing I do to my future Convertible A4 T/A.

An aftermarket converter is supposed to take a stock F-body and turn it into a ridiculously fun car.

Air Lid, and Catback would be some easy first mods, but before going any further, I would seriously consider looking into a Converter.
I would do the torque converter after the lid and fluid swap plus free mods. I guess a better way to put it is that a TC is a great first "major" mod.

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
if you do a converter do a cooler too. a cooler is a good idea for longevity no matter what really..

I looked into converters, didn't seem like a lot of fun to me for a DD, but I haven't gotten all that serious about transmission mods yet. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this somehow.. but when I've seen videos of people driving on converters it's like watching someone pour wine down the drain, needless revving for bumper to bumper traffic..)
I wouldn't even consider a cooler a good idea, its a must. Especially with a new torque converter. And driving around town isn't bad. I don't even notice it anymore. And for how much more fun the car is now that I put mine in, I will gladly sacrifice those couple of MPGs in town.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Being its an A4, my first modification would be to upgrade the Torque Converter.

I don't have any experience with this modification (my car is an M6), but everything I've read on this site has me confident that this will be the first thing I do to my future Convertible A4 T/A.

An aftermarket converter is supposed to take a stock F-body and turn it into a ridiculously fun car.

Air Lid, and Catback would be some easy first mods, but before going any further, I would seriously consider looking into a Converter.
Period.
Originally Posted by DarkFox118
if you do a converter do a cooler too. a cooler is a good idea for longevity no matter what really..

I looked into converters, didn't seem like a lot of fun to me for a DD, but I haven't gotten all that serious about transmission mods yet. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this somehow.. but when I've seen videos of people driving on converters it's like watching someone pour wine down the drain, needless revving for bumper to bumper traffic..)
Stock converter a4s are boring. Stalled a4 is awesome. I'd take one any day to a manual.
Originally Posted by jamal
Is a slp maf and ported tb worth using if I can find both parts for under 80dollars?
No. Stock maf is good to around 500rwhp, even then it gives minimal gains. Ported tb is a good mod on the cheap. Make sure someone reputable porter is doing it.
Originally Posted by 777Shock777
Sweet lots of good information guys!

Well, I guess from what I've been reading before doing mods do a Tune-up, change fluids, etc.
THEN = Lid -> Cat-back exhaust.

Any recommendations for cat-back exhaust?
I prefer something with a "throatier" sound to it, I do like SLP loudmouths but don't want something that loud
Magnaflow.

Quick Reply: Stock 99 Trans Am, order of upgrades?