Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange shifts, car runs rough at time

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange shifts, car runs rough at time

Hello All,

I recently picked up my first f-body, a 98 Firebird Formula.

The car has the LS1 engine, obviously, and the A4 trans.

As of late I've had a few issues with the car, which are as follows:

1. sometimes the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts will be very hard when the trans is cold and there is very little throttle application, but once it warms up the shifts are less harsh. Once it's hot however, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are intermittently strange. Sometimes, under about 1/2-2/3 throttle the shift seems almost as if it is coming in two seperate parts. I feel one movement from the trans as the car comes out of gear, and then a slight delay before another movement once it shifts. All shifts at WOT, however, are perfect and are just the right firmness. Not sure what the problem might be.

2. Sometimes the car runs rough, and even chugs/shuts off. However, this is a very intermittent issue and has only happened a few times.

3. Accelerating off the line at WOT the car seems sluggish, and has seemed a bit sluggish overall lately. My first thought about this is a potentially clogged fuel filter, and I am planning to change it tomorrow.

So for now, my plan is to change the fuel filter and contact the gentleman who has always tuned my cars for me to see if he can touch some things up and remedy the problems i'm experiencing. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions as to what could cause these issues?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whens the last time the tranny fluid and filter was changed? and last tune up

Quick Reply: Strange shifts, car runs rough at time