Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.7 LS1 Build Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Z28X11
Thanks for the help guys. Just about the 6.0 motor. I also had a friend check it out yesterday. No tapping and no smoking. He can't remember what intake was on it. The motor is in a wrecked van(hit from behind). Close to a hundred thousand miles. So I will be selling this motor(block, stock cam, crank, rods, pistons, 98 5.7 heads, 2001 5.7 heads, oil pump and pan). What should I ask for it? The motor and heads are at the machine shop getting cleaned and checked. So I move my questions to the 6.0 motor. Would stroking this motor make more hps or can you make the hps i am looking for with a set of heads, cam, and intake?
What year is the 6.0? Some of them had thicker piston than others.. Iirc its 2003+.
I recommend putting new bearings in it, arp rod bolts, and running it.
What all is wrong with the ls1? That will tell what its worth. A good condition longblock usually sells for around 1500$.
A stroker will make more power but for under 500rwhp its a waste of money. I mean your talking 4,000$. The power can be made with a stock cube 5.7 or 6.0.
For your application, a driver, I would look into a cathedral setup. Afr 225s, fast 90, 1 7/8 headers and a custom grind cam.
Forgot to add that everything from the trans forward comes with the 6.0.
Worth around 1,500$.
Originally Posted by 1lejohn
You can make your goal either way. Increasing the 6.0 to a 402 or 408 would be better but your going to have to spend more cash. The stock bttm ends on these motors are good to around 400-500HP. The rod bolts and pistons are the weak link, the cranks are good to 700+

I would get a custom cam any way that you go. I used FTI( Ed Curtis). The fast works well on cath heads, not so on the rect. heads (92, LS3's).

On the valve train stock lifters are ok, rebuild the stock rockers, and buy quality valve springs and valves.

If you could get a deal on used aftermarket heads that would be good. The 6.0 heads aren't the best for performence. They have large chambers, but are designed after the LS6 head.

There are some disagreements on how well the GM rect port heads work. They are a good buy and IMOP the work well.
600rwhp is more of the breaking point for stock bottoms on average. Stock crank is good to 1000+. Breaking a crank with power is unheard of.

Rectangular heads are awesome in certain setups.. Like a budget minded weekend warrior/track car where one needs good performance for money Invested and will take compromises like a lazy mid range, granted we are talking about these engines and not 427s.. For his needs though I think he would be kuh happier with a cathedral setup.
Thanks again John. Would you consider getting a good set of H beam rods or would some ARP bolts? The reason I was planning on going with the L92 heads was because a friend is making close to 800 hp with them. What intake would you consider rather than the Fast intake. I just can't see paying that much for an intake right now. As for the cam, I will be going with one from Comp cams as I can get a discount from them. What kind of numbers can you expect form the stock crank, better pistons, bigger cam, LS3 intake, L92 heads? Would this get me close to range I'm wanting to get to?
With boost the head doesn't matter as much.. With that said, that's a lot of power for the l92s.. I personally would be running something with a thicker deck.
You wont pay 800$ for an intake but you will pay 4,000$ on a stroker? In a cathedral setup a fast is a must, rectangular setup it is a waste.
Originally Posted by WS_6_SPEED
If im not mistaken for l92 heads you would need a 4" bore 4"stroke. Intake wise i would say it is really hard to beat and ls6 for the price and the performance. I would also keep very much in mmind an ls1 stroked to 383 for some big power. JMO. Good luck with the build
Ls6 falls off hard above 6000rpms, where that 475rwhp would come on.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea they did it with aftermarket pistons and rods like I said the cranks are good for 700+++ Why does every one quote shop cars and not there own H.mmm We bent a Callies crank on spray making mid 700's. It was after 3yrs of racing though. The Calllies rods from that motor are in the 416 today.

I know Hot Rod just did a boosted 4.8 and made insane power 1000- 1200 ? on a stock bttm end. So every body should do it right. If you plan on racing it they won't last.
I wish 1000rwhp bottoms were the norm for ls motors lol

We can dream yea? Hahahahaha
Old 11-05-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again John. Would you consider getting a good set of H beam rods or would some ARP bolts? The reason I was planning on going with the L92 heads was because a friend is making close to 800 hp with them. What intake would you consider rather than the Fast intake. I just can't see paying that much for an intake right now. As for the cam, I will be going with one from Comp cams as I can get a discount from them. What kind of numbers can you expect form the stock crank, better pistons, bigger cam, LS3 intake, L92 heads? Would this get me close to range I'm wanting to get to?
I don't know?? Whats your budget. The stock rods are pretty good if you add bolts. If your going to build a stroker why not add rods and pistons. You really can't rebuild(resize) the stock rods. Why pay the money to balence them etc.

I paid like 500 for the Callie H beams and they are on there second engine. I think thats a good investment.

The stock LS3 for now seems to be the best and easiest fitting choice for the 4th and 5th gen cars . The Vic jr would work on your car and have more top end, less bttm should be close on the midrange. It would work best with a plate type throttle body and a carb type air cleaner. IMOP.

The new Camaros with bolt ons and a cam are making in the low 500 hp range. Our car dynoed the other night 486 hp and 468 ibft. That was with slicks on the car air filter on etc. It ran a 10.68 @ 128 with a 1.45 60ft. Friday night. That was driving out to the track on slicks , frt sway bar still on car weighing 3550. The intake is killing us on the top end along with the 4.11's car is just dying at the 1000ft mark. Oh well back to the drawing board.

I'm thinking with the right set up you can make 550-580 with a 400+ cube engine.

Last edited by 1lejohn; 11-05-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good point by Lemmons , GM stock type heads are all thin castings. We had issues with a set of cnc 243's but again it was after 5 yrs and 100's of passes.

I agree with a great tune and every thing working correctly you shouldn't hurt an engine. You can exceede its design limits. On the dyno it will last longer not so at the track.

Turbo engines are easy on parts compared to N2O and centrifugal blower cars. How many broken crank snots have the blowers caused many. Most people on this board don't report on their failures.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have always heard from straight power that breaking a crank is extremely, extremely, rare. As in 1 in a 1000 that break. Always something else played a part. Granted we are talking sub 1000rw.
I could be mistaken however.

For the 500$ though, its dumb not to get one while you're at it.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also agree that you can make great power with the cath port stuff as well as the basic 5.7 blocks.

I went with the 92 stuff just to be different. I like using GM heads, blocks , gaskets and valve train parts when I can. I would have used my old 5.7 block but it had alot of abuse and the starter mounting ear was broken off.

If I do another build it will be big cubes with Mast heads and intake, I like NA power.

If you think about a centf. blower pulley on the end of the crank its aleast 6-8 inches forward of the last bearing, maybe a foot . Thats a lot of stress on the crank when you turn the boost up.

Another good thread here with good opinions and info.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is true.. Never really thought of that.

We've had a couple good threads past few days.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wink

Yes Sir enjoyed it. Like good discussions when people are adults about it. Cheers.

I would like to see the LSX in a prostock car. Maybe one day How about it WJ.

My son wants to build a comp dragster with a 6.0 junk yard motor. Or should I say we will buy a used chassis and put one in it.

Yea the Mustang guys have had that problem for years with the crank snout snapping off. I think on of the companies is selling a bracket and support bearing to address this problem. I have some friends that run Fords. They have really pushed there parts harder then the LS crowd due to the class racing that they where involved in. Sometimes I base my opinions on their experiences. Later .

Last edited by 1lejohn; 11-05-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea they did it with aftermarket pistons and rods like I said the cranks are good for 700+++ Why does every one quote shop cars and not there own H.mmm We bent a Callies crank on spray making mid 700's. It was after 3yrs of racing though. The Calllies rods from that motor are in the 416 today.

I know Hot Rod just did a boosted 4.8 and made insane power 1000- 1200 ? on a stock bttm end. So every body should do it right. If you plan on racing it they won't last.
I'm certainly not trying to start a pissing contest here. The speed inc car was a shop car, but the link I posted is to a thread where it's a completely stock bottom end pistons/rods/crank/rings/bearings and all. And the guy claims to have around 1000 passes on it making over 700whp.

I have a stock crank in my setup and it makes around 850 at the FW. There, I referenced my own setup. A friend of mine who lives local, has a 02 Z06 with a completely stock bottom end as well making 765whp with a T-trim and nitrous on an E-85 tune.

No, it's not the norm and it doesn't mean every LS out there will hold up to the same power. But, if your tune is right on the money, they can hold well over 500 and still be very reliable.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, lots of good information here! I'm not even going to ask about the preference over the cathedral and square port heads. I've been researching and there is so much debate about it I don't really mind to hear it again lol. I will just have to see how things work out on what i am getting this week. I'll let you guys know and we can go from there.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lol good idea to steer clear from that can of worms! Haha
Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrDavid
I'm certainly not trying to start a pissing contest here. The speed inc car was a shop car, but the link I posted is to a thread where it's a completely stock bottom end pistons/rods/crank/rings/bearings and all. And the guy claims to have around 1000 passes on it making over 700whp.

I have a stock crank in my setup and it makes around 850 at the FW. There, I referenced my own setup. A friend of mine who lives local, has a 02 Z06 with a completely stock bottom end as well making 765whp with a T-trim and nitrous on an E-85 tune.

No, it's not the norm and it doesn't mean every LS out there will hold up to the same power. But, if your tune is right on the money, they can hold well over 500 and still be very reliable.
Very impressive car that you have. I never said that the stock cranks were weak. The rods and pistons ??? Did LMR tune your car?

Last edited by 1lejohn; 11-06-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very impressive car that you have. I never said that the stock cranks were weak. The rods and pistons ??? Did LMR tune your car?
v8muscle.net tuned mine. If you have a spare second, take a look at their site. Several rides on there are making some big power on stock shortblock engines.

Quick Reply: 5.7 LS1 Build Question