New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

build ground up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build ground up.

Just wanting to make sure im heading in the right direction with my car to ensure years of enjoyment. Basically My future goal with this 2000 trans am m6 is 400+ rwhp. but before i start any major engine mods want to make sure car has the supporting mods to handle this power. So this winter i will be working on preparing the car to handle this power. So i think I will be going with a 9" ford read end and sub frame connectors. What else should i look into doing to ensure that this car will last. The car right now is bone stock 70k miles. the ultimate goal is to reach 420 ish rwhp but right now main concern is supporting mods probably wont start engine peformance mods until fall of next year. Just want to make sure she is able to handle it and put the power to the ground. it will never see the track just a fun street/weekend warrior car. any insight guys to get this cars chassis in shape this winter this way when its time to add some ponys there will be no concern. Thanks for any replies!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

get some long tube headers and y-pipe catback and lid before any engine mods. also get a nice clutch!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear end is a good upgrade, and will be needed with real power and that 6 speed, especially if you plan on putting some sticky tires on it and taking it to the track, I have seen the stockers explode with stock engines. I would also swap to a set of poly engine mounts, and a poly trans mount. You will also want to get a better torque arm, and relocation mount, get it off the tail of that trans. A good clutch will also be needed, and to be honest with you, probably a built trans too, I would wait for that until needed though. realistically to get 400+rwhp, a good exhaust intake, and cam will get you there. Heads will just be the icing on the cake. I had a stock bottom end with PRC 5.3 heads, and custom cam, with a fast intake, and headers, and it dynoed at 463rwhp.
Hope this helps ya out.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

If the car will see the track often, then a 9" would be a good start. While replacing the rear, I would get a good torque are setup, better shocks, adjustable lca's, panhard bar and some sticky tires.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

He said the car will never see the track... If you're not going to do a lot of drag racing or burnouts, you could probably live with the 10 bolt for at least a while. The 9" adds a lot of weight and stuff like that to the car.

If I were you, I'd do bolt-ons, suspension, and chassis work first (no roll-bars or anything like that though) before a rear end and stuff like that. If you end up going with enough power that you start to damage things, then you can rebuild the transmission and replace your rear end. The trans can be built to withstand much more than you're wanting, with a Viper mainshaft and treating the gears, harder shift forks. The rear end, I'd do a Moser fab 9 if you have the money for it, it's much lighter than the other 9"s. But why spend money on stuff that may never break with what you're doing with the car?

It's not like an LS1 needs major engine mods for 400. Bolt-ons and a cam with a good tune will get you there pretty easily.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 PM

I appreciate the replies. yeah def doing sub frame connectors and torque arm. Parts i have for engine mods are tsp 1/7/8" lts and tsp true duals. Ls6 intake manifold,slp lid, torquer v3 cam with hardened push rods and dual springs. Gonna order a ud pulley. I hope this will make for a fun street car i know the cam is a little big but hopefully A good tune will help make it a little better. you guys think i should fork out some $ for stage 2.5 5.3 heads from tsp? also 4.10's ok for a m6? thanks!
s