Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 or 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
I hear ya. I'm not a fan of the GTO really.
At least you guys are mostly civil to us GTO owners here. Another certain LS1 site is downright hostile towards us.

Not to mention, this is the best tech site for anything anywhere I've ever seen. So much information already posted - and more than enough people willing to help.

Back to the question at hand - you've driven both - which felt best for you? That's the one you should get.
Dan
Old 03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rschumacherfan1
At least you guys are mostly civil to us GTO owners here. Another certain LS1 site is downright hostile towards us.
I don't really dislike GTO's. I'm more upset that they didn't take the opportunity to make the styling unique. It's great that it has a LS1 in it and the comfortability certainly is there. I'll never give anyone a hard time who has one. It's definitely a nice car...just not my cup of tea on the outside. The inside is nice.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Wink ws6 or cobra

I am one of those guys who put the Vortech on a stock car just to level the playing field. I don't street race, I just wanted to have an answer to the blown cobras. I race my '67 camaro and just cruise the ws6. A blown ws6 does get a little more respect from the mustang guys though and that was all I wanted. If you only have 1 car get the Cobra- serves you both in racing and cruising.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Transamlover33
I personally love trans ams and hope to own one soon, but as for which car I would rather have, Cobra all the way, I am by no means a ford man, but imo this is the supra of american cars, for cheap it can be made real fast.
NO, that would be a viper then Z06
Old 03-11-2004, 09:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

03 cobra. its just too easy to make mad power. if you want an ls1 then i'd pick up a 99-00 for cheap and build up a stroker, get a 12 bolt and spec 3 if m6 or a nice stall if an a4 and have yourself a nice ride.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default ws6

stock for stock they are very close i have two friends of mine that went best 13.0 110 with there cobras on f1s and a buddy of mine who went 13.1 109.9 with his 01 ss 6 speed both with very close 60 foot times ls1 pushrod design motor is the best smallblock in my opinion ever made,yea you can put pullies and such on a mustang and make some power but then again you can procharge an ls1 and boost that baby plus i just love the way an ss or ws6 looks
Old 03-11-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with a WS6. I have one and I love it. I ran an '03 Cobra a month ago and I kept pulling on him. I think the Cobra is a nice looking bad *** car though.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Teching In

TA baby imo the ws6 looks much badder but of course I drive one the only plus for the stang in the sound but thats just me
Old 03-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Go for the lS1 I have only a few boltons and have worked an 03 cobra in street races and track races!! ALl I can say is LS1!!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike98WS6
I would go with a WS6. I have one and I love it. I ran an '03 Cobra a month ago and I kept pulling on him. I think the Cobra is a nice looking bad *** car though.
Was it stock? I'm trapping around 15-16mph more than you are with minor mods.

Let's not forget about drivability and road manners. My friend's 660rwhp Cobra (pictured above) behaves like it is bone stock until you get into the throttle.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Well, I have decided not to get a Cobra. As fast as they are, I just can't get behind the looks. I would rather get another Vette or WS6. I haven't raced anyone since high school and I am 31 years old. An LS1 car will be fast enough for me. I am going to go drive the Pewter WS6 in an hour or so again and go from there. If I get it, I will probably do full exhaust and an SLP lid and some suspension stuff like SLP stage 1. I will have about $3000 left over. Any suggestions on how to best spend it on the WS6?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LowFlight
Well, I have decided not to get a Cobra. As fast as they are, I just can't get behind the looks. I would rather get another Vette or WS6. I haven't raced anyone since high school and I am 31 years old. An LS1 car will be fast enough for me. I am going to go drive the Pewter WS6 in an hour or so again and go from there. If I get it, I will probably do full exhaust and an SLP lid and some suspension stuff like SLP stage 1. I will have about $3000 left over. Any suggestions on how to best spend it on the WS6?
Good choice. It was a win win situation either way.

We have tons of great sponsors here that can help you out with any aspect of you car...suspension, forced induction, bolt-ons, etc. Take a look at some of the over ------>

Post pics if/when you get it!
Old 03-12-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take a look in my sig. If you follow the same route you won't be dissappointed.

1. Get some LT's (Jet hots are nice)
2. Magnaflow makes an awesome catback which is very free flowing but not too loud. (until you get on it.
3. Maybe get the ASP pulley
4. I'd get the Holley powershot and Texas Speed lid. I had fitment issues with both the K&N and Whisper lids.
5. Get sub frame connectors SOON. It will keep the car from turning into a rattle trap.
6. After mods (LT's mainly) get your car tuned with LS-1 edit
7. If you don't like the drls there is a mod where you can use another foglight switch to turn them off or on. I also did a mod where I can control if the antenna is up or down considering I listen to cds most of the time. Any questions just ask. Install University and some other sights have some good info.

Like yourself I was trying to decide between the 2003 Cobra and WS6. the Cobra was a bit faster but I liked the drivability, fitment, and looks of the WS6 better.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't take the time to read every post on here. Here are some big advantages and disadvantages for both.
Looks, both look nice, I like the WS6 more myself but that's just me.
Interior, I will give the notch the the stang here.
Comfort, bact to the TA.
Style is about equal.
Stock performance is about equal with the small advantage going to the Cobra with the IRS setup. HOWEVER this IRS sucks if you plan on drag racing. Dont believe me ask the Corvette drivers. Half shafts will defentially break.
Then again we have a POS 10 bolt in the F bodies. Either way if you plan on drag racing the car you will have to replace the rear.
Advantage Cobra because the rear end is much cheeper. Pickup a nice 8.8 for a stang for under a 1000 dollars.
Power advantage is the Cobra again. You can make 600+ Horse for like 5000 dollars and have a very streetable car still. The 4 Valve motor and 9:1 C/R really make a nice combo for boost. To make 600 horse in a LS1 using a SC it would cost way more.
Best forum to visit is defentially LS1tech and should factor in your decision to buy a Ford or a GM. Advantage WS6
Price, well this is a easy one to figure out. The TA should be way cheeper.
Another option would be to find a real nice 98-2001 WS6 with low milage and save yourself thousands of dollars. Put the money you saved in performance and have some fun. If you are looking for a fast everyday driver that pulls nasty from a roll, and something that wont cost a ton of money to make fast then go towards the cobra, or go with a TNT KIT and the WS6.
I drive a WS6 but I have a brain and my brain tells me I wouldn't mind having a 03 Cobra. However you have a better chance of seeing God tonight then you do in seeing me trade my GM for a ford.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Between the two , Thats a tough decision. I have always beleived that N/A motors will last longer than SC cars, especially when you start to run them hard. But I must say (From experience with an 01GT I owned) that the Mustang was a better everyday car. I really like the styling of the WS6 Trans-Am, but my wife is 4'9" and the seat belt was around her chin when buckled, and she told me this was not very pleasing. The H/C LS1's are putting down some really good numbers and the prices are coming down on the mods. On the other hand you can swap pulleys on a blower and pick up alot too.

Coming from a ZR1 why are you not looking at the C5? the prices are really good and the Corvette is way more car (in original configuration) than the Cobra is. So I would add a third to the list and add the C5.

Good luck and I am glad to see that your choices all originate from the U.S.A.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROJO99
Coming from a ZR1 why are you not looking at the C5? the prices are really good and the Corvette is way more car (in original configuration) than the Cobra is. So I would add a third to the list and add the C5.

Good luck and I am glad to see that your choices all originate from the U.S.A.
Never have been a fan of the C5....1996 was the last year of Corvettes. The LS1 is a great engine, but the car is just ugly IMHO.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Never have been a fan of the C5....1996 was the last year of Corvettes. The LS1 is a great engine, but the car is just ugly IMHO.
Interesting. I hated 'vettes with a passion until '97.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Teching In

The salesguy (my neighbor) and I are at my house right now getting some paperwork. I took it up to about 130mph...pretty fast. I think it would hang with a C5 no problem. I am getting it for $21k.!!!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

The salesguy (my neighbor) and I are at my house right now getting some paperwork. I took it up to about 130mph...pretty fast. I think it would hang with a C5 no problem. I am getting it for $21k.!!!!!
Very nice. You will love the WS6. If it is out of warranty, for 3k or less, I would do a 2800 TQ with trans cooler and maybe a 3.73 gear. IMO

That is where I am headed eventually........
Old 03-12-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Very nice. You will love the WS6. If it is out of warranty, for 3k or less, I would do a 2800 TQ with trans cooler and maybe a 3.73 gear. IMO

That is where I am headed eventually........

2800 stall? I think I could foot brake that. Minimum of 3200 stall.

Quick Reply: WS6 or 03 Cobra