New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me NEVER buy another mustang lol (mod list/cam help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me NEVER buy another mustang lol (mod list/cam help)

Ok so I am new to the whole LS F-body scene (used to be a fox body guy but never again lol). A few months ago I got a 99 Z28 A4 with a k&n intake(the one where the filter in rectangular and exposed... not just the filter under the lid the whole cold air kit), GMS Maf, Mufflex 4" single outlet cat back. It also came with slp ceramic lt's and a pacesetter ORY pipe but they are not installed.
First question is, Are these headers any good I have heard about fitment issues? They look great but that means nothing if they dont fit. Also will the pacesetter ory pipe line up with the slp's?
next question is I have been looking into cams and I am wandering if I should go heads and cam or just cam? If I should do heads what heads should I go with? I am not looking to go crazy fast I would like to run high 11's but still be a streetable all motor set up. I was looking at the texas speed 224/224 with either a 114 or 112 LSA. Should I go bigger? Which LSA should I go with? I want it to sound ballsy but not kill my drivability.
The trans is a fresh rebiuld but the motor has 114,000 on it so obviously I would think I should do the oil pump, timing chain set, and valve springs etc. But by the time I do that would I be better off upgrading the high mileage heads.
And by the time I do that would it be ok to put those new heads on a 114,000 mile block? I hear these LS1's are supposed to be very strong but that seems like a lot of miles to me?
also if I do the 224 cam do I need the dual springs or is it overkill? would I be ok with beehives?

CLUELESS TO CHEVY stuff help me never buy another mustang!!! I love this car and hope to never go back to my old BAD habits lol.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also can I ditch the EGR and AIR I see so many conflicting arguments about it. I plan on doing either an ls6 intake or a FAST intake, 373 gears and a stall converter but I have to figure out the cam before I can figure out the convert to match them... also which plugs are best for all motor I also see conflicting arguments on them as well.

Thank in advance guys!!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evilz99
Ok so I am new to the whole LS F-body scene (used to be a fox body guy but never again lol). A few months ago I got a 99 Z28 A4 with a k&n intake(the one where the filter in rectangular and exposed... not just the filter under the lid the whole cold air kit), GMS Maf, Mufflex 4" single outlet cat back. It also came with slp ceramic lt's and a pacesetter ORY pipe but they are not installed.
First question is, Are these headers any good I have heard about fitment issues? They look great but that means nothing if they dont fit. Also will the pacesetter ory pipe line up with the slp's?
next question is I have been looking into cams and I am wandering if I should go heads and cam or just cam? If I should do heads what heads should I go with? I am not looking to go crazy fast I would like to run high 11's but still be a streetable all motor set up. I was looking at the texas speed 224/224 with either a 114 or 112 LSA. Should I go bigger? Which LSA should I go with? I want it to sound ballsy but not kill my drivability.
The trans is a fresh rebiuld but the motor has 114,000 on it so obviously I would think I should do the oil pump, timing chain set, and valve springs etc. But by the time I do that would I be better off upgrading the high mileage heads.
And by the time I do that would it be ok to put those new heads on a 114,000 mile block? I hear these LS1's are supposed to be very strong but that seems like a lot of miles to me?
also if I do the 224 cam do I need the dual springs or is it overkill? would I be ok with beehives?

CLUELESS TO CHEVY stuff help me never buy another mustang!!! I love this car and hope to never go back to my old BAD habits lol.
Nice purchase.

SLP made some shitty headers back in the day, unless you verify if they where newer style I would swap them out for something stainless.

Ditch the MAF and look for a stocker. Mufflex is not a bad piece but large and not sure on the sound, no one around here has them.

You could run 11's with bolt ons, dyno tune, converter, and some gears if the street/race weight is not too heavy in good air. Cam's vary based on preference and in a A4 car the #'s will never look as good as M6 drive trains. Look in the dyno section to get a guage.

IF you just do a cam and a LS6 intake with all that you should have no issues IMO of running an 11.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also can I ditch the EGR and AIR I see so many conflicting arguments about it. I plan on doing either an ls6 intake or a FAST intake, 373 gears and a stall converter but I have to figure out the cam before I can figure out the convert to match them... also which plugs are best for all motor I also see conflicting arguments on them as well.

Thank in advance guys!!
yes, your car will run fine with or without the air/egr. Save your money and just get a ls6, if u go with a fast setup, you need to buy a new tb + matching fuel rails.. or you can go with a ls6 intake and ported stocker with similar gains.

plugs, ngk tr55 for n/a or tr6 for n20
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the quick replies guys! So any opinions on the Texas speed 224 /224 114 lsa cam too small? Or just right? Should I go 112 lsa instead? Also. Dual springs or can I get away with the beehives? Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got a competent tuner then you could a lil larger on the cam. A 228R 112LSA from TSP will be perfect give you that ballsy sound you want and be very streetable. Match that cam with a 3600 stall and it's a proven combo. Beehive springs are fine too. Do this and all you already mentioned and the 11's are yours. Btw welcome to the dark side.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks... Love the dark side lol. Only way I am goin back to a fox is with an ls in it lol.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Isnt the 3600 stall a little big for street? Still would like decent mpg.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

The 3600 stall is just fine for the street, with a good tune it will drive just like stock. The LS cars like more stall than your traditional SBC/SBF cars as they run in a higher RPM range than the old small blocks. Most people here on the board will tell you any converter with less than 3200 stall isn't worth doing. The 3600 should work well with the 228 cam.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks you guys are great. Any idea where to get an ls6 intake that's not 400. They sell fast on here and eBay they are through the roof. Nothing on Craigslist list. Any other places to check? Any one have one to sell.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

What's a good torque converter to get For these cars?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No not really. I put heads & cam on mine with over 100k, as many others have. I wouldnt hesitate to do if I were you.
Beehives would be ok with that cam.
Why are you hating on the fox bodies? They make great drag cars, they come with the 8.8 so you dont need to change the rear, you just need a chevy motor. Last few times I went to no ets in Detroit, thats all you see at the track, foxbodys with chevy power.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not hating on them, I just like LSX that much more! lol I have had like 10 fox bodies and said earlier I wont have another and less it is LS powered.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

had a hand full of foxes here and fully built sn95 cobra, cant beat that ls1 power and m6 never going back love that darkside muah ha ha ha !
Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have a ls6 intake for sale?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

228/232 cam, ported LS6 heads, LS6 intake, gears, and a nice stall would make a huge difference in performance.

I'd go with something a tad bigger than that 224/224 cam though.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have pat g spec you a cam and order it from eps
Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. On that 228/230, which lsa 112 or 114? Thanks for all the help guys. Which would be a decent converter to go with
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. On that 228/230, which lsa 112 or 114? Thanks for all the help guys. Which would be a decent converter to go with
Heres the cam I'm running.

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...mart&Itemid=54
228/232 .600/.612 and a 111lsa

With my ported LS6 heads, I made 445rwhp on a 95 degree day (no nitrous) AND its still got stock-like drivability, which was a huge part of my decision. After its all warmed up, it drives like stock.

Heres an exhaust clip. Catted ARH long tubes with the stock Z06 exhaust.

With yours being an auto, it wont make as much power on the dyno, but thats just a number anyway. Do you plan on doing a lot of street driving also?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! Sounds and looks great! I plan on doing more street driving than anything I have had mustangs that I went too far with and lost streetability in and I really dont wanna make that mistake with this car. Its nice to be able to throw my wife and kids in the car and go where ever we want with heat and air conditioning and no worrys of over heating or anythig breaking or going to every gas station we pass lol..
I quess I should of said I will be doing some racing, but more street drivning than anything.

I thought the LSA had a lot to do with your streetability, yours is 111 and you have no probs??? I think I am gonna do the cam first and do heads later (if at all) So I would need a cam that would be ok with stock heads too.