Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to P&P your TB and...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to P&P your TB and...

Neverd P&P'd a TB before so if you have any help that can help or lead me in the right direction that wuld be great, and before that. Is it worth it on a Stock TB on my 99 TA WS6? or just upgrade it and P&P that one? TB's Arent cheap haha ty! ^^
Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't really port it by hand unless you know what you're doing. Best bet would be to get a polishing wheel and compound and make that sucker smooth as a mirror. That will improve throttle response quite a bit.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most can do it with a dremel tool, time and proper stones/sand paper. There should be a post somewhere in the external engine section just search.

MOST times its best just to buy one done by a sponsor, see if he will take one in trade.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll do it for you
Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redtan
Can't really port it by hand unless you know what you're doing. Best bet would be to get a polishing wheel and compound and make that sucker smooth as a mirror. That will improve throttle response quite a bit.
No, it's very easy to port the TB. The most critical part of porting the stock throttle body is to remove the ridge on the bottom part of the opening (where the TB blade meets the TB housing) This is basically "the port", everything else is blending it to a smooth transition.

Since the ridge blocks airflow most in the first few degrees of throttle this is where you notice the increase...throttle response. You aren't really increasing the size of the TB that much, but you are if you look at it in the first few degrees of opening the throttle.

I'm going to assume you can get the TB off so I'll go straight to the porting.

1. Clean the TB with some brakekleen or something similar.
2. Take off the two sensors on the side. 2 torx screws per sensor.
3. Take a sharpie and mark and draw a line on the TB housing around the TB blade making sure to mark the shaft as well (this will be your "do not cut past this point" line)
3. Take the TB blade out. 2 torx screws. Pulls out only one way (has two "rivets" that block blade from sliding through one way)
4. Take a hammer and hit the opposite end of the throttle cam (where you took the sensor off) until the shaft slides out. Be cautious of the spring, it's not under high pressure but it will still fly around. There will be a small metal washer that falls off...do not worry about this, it is not needed.
5. Take a dremel and cut the shaft where you marked it before (not necessary but will have a little better flow) Make sure you only go through the side that's marked, you still need the back half to screw the blade back into.
6. Take dremel and grind down the ridge on the bottom of the housing. Blend everything together so it's smooth. If you want it shiny you can polish at this time. Be careful not to take too much out of the housing because you will go through the TB which you obviously don't want. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GO PAST THE MARKED AREA. This will result in poor idle because your TB will not seal/close all of the way.
7. After that's done put everything back together. I usually like to get two small washers for the TB blade since we removed the shaft as well as grinding down the screws on the backside once you have tightened them down. It's really up to you.
8. Grind down the contact point where the throttle cam hits the throttle housing so that the blade opens up ~90* but not over. Follow this guide if you don't have the equipment to monitor the exact opening then go well below 90* by eye because you will throw codes if you go over.

Some people epoxy the sensor ports but I've found that it's just too much work for little to no gain.

Remember stock TB's are pretty cheap so if you mess it up, it's not the end of the world. Plus epoxy can fix a lot of small mistakes.

To answer your second questions...DO NOT buy another TB. Unless you buy a fast 90 or 102mm instake you are wasting your money on another TB. You ported stock TB will be fine for most applications. Unless you are just trying for a max effort NA or nitrous engine I wouldn't even bother with the FAST intake.

Last edited by 777; 11-15-2011 at 01:08 PM.