New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not DOT approved?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At nova guy- you don't know till you drive these roads so please do not try and tell me something u don't know like I said there are absolutely no street lights or stop lights, and it's all corn field roads and mountain roads . So yes even if you have sylvania bulbs it's still not enough. Especially going down the autobahn at 120 mph and there is no street lights and the roads have curves .. So yes sir you NEED HIDs or use your brights .. State side yeah people rarely need HIDs but here it's a must !
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
Lol at 71 nova guy..Some areas you need HID lights..like out here ,there are no street lights .so with out HIDs people put there brights on which is 2x worse ..anyways OP I am glad you passed and didn't fail for something that LAME
So, what did you do before HID existed? Run into everything?

Use your brights properly. Turn them off and switch to low beams when you have oncoming traffic, then switch the brights back on after they have passed. If you can't because there is that much traffic, well, there should be plenty of light from all the cars anyway.

I'm not saying HIDs aren't better, but they are ONLY when in proper projectors.

And before you tell me that I "don't know those roads" we have plenty of roads without street lights around here, I have driven out in the boonies many times. And you simply just do NOT drive at 120mph at night, duh! Slow down.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Lol at sparky .. Yeah bro I ran into everything :/ like I told nova guy out here it's a must! Do you know how much a pain it is to keep turning your brights on and off? I mean c'mon , when you can just easily get HIDs so when your going through these curvy mountain roads in the pitch black passing some cars you don't have to worry about switching your lights off an on so yes sir , you NEED them out here
Old 11-24-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

correct mounted HIDs are fine, but when i stay around the suburban/city area i dont even really need headlights unless i dont wanna get pulled over, but if i go 35 mins into the middle of no were country im struggling with high beams, my silverado has sylvania silverstars and there better but. my KCs make me comfortable when in my truck. always wondered if i could put KC daylights were my foglights are....hmmm... lol

and thanks camaroboy

but i feel inspectors should be LENIENT, not just sticker slap, if u roll in with ur car fallin apart u should fail, but they shouldnt care about dumb bs stuff (like TINTED non dot but working and light up sidemarkers), and if i was to guess most the cars on this site that are in an inspection needed state that a lot are inspected by "friends" or some sort of similar situation

anyways not arguin or fightin with any one just sayin
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At nova guy- you don't know till you drive these roads so please do not try and tell me something u don't know like I said there are absolutely no street lights or stop lights, and it's all corn field roads and mountain roads . So yes even if you have sylvania bulbs it's still not enough. Especially going down the autobahn at 120 mph and there is no street lights and the roads have curves .. So yes sir you NEED HIDs or use your brights .. State side yeah people rarely need HIDs but here it's a must !
what, you live on the backside of the moon? I grew up in rural Kansas, so it is just like the what you describe. Wide open roads with nothing but cornfields. No on coming traffic, no streetlights, ect. And my headlight on my truck are that bright. Rarely need highbeams. and man, it is soooo tough to switch the lights from high to low beams... what, to you have to stop the car, get out and remove a panel and rewire the son of a bitches? no, you just have to flip a lever you lazy ****
Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lol at sparky .. Yeah bro I ran into everything :/ like I told nova guy out here it's a must! Do you know how much a pain it is to keep turning your brights on and off? I mean c'mon , when you can just easily get HIDs so when your going through these curvy mountain roads in the pitch black passing some cars you don't have to worry about switching your lights off an on so yes sir , you NEED them out here
I've been there, done that on similar roads here. No, it isn't that hard to use brights properly. No, I don't have HIDs in my truck and my driver side headlight on it is even yellowed and reducing light output even more.

If you don't have to turn your brights on with HIDs in your reflectors, well, think about it - did you know that the actual lumens output of HID bulbs is about the same as a high beam halogen? So you are almost driving around with your high beams on all the time. Not quite since the reflector is different, but the reflector isn't designed for the focal point of HID anyway so it still throws excess light everywhere.

I stand by what I said. You don't "need" them. You just WANT them, perhaps because you can't be bothered to use high beams properly. You're getting needs and wants mixed up.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I get u , but man I wish u know what it was like driving down the autobahn at 110-120 mph..then it curves and then having to worry about turning off your high beams all the time :/ .. Then it's so foggy here in Germany :/ idk I guess nova guy just pissed me off by calling people idiots and lazy *****! I mean c'mon.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

Yeah I get u , but man I wish u know what it was like driving down the autobahn at 110-120 mph..then it curves and then having to worry about turning off your high beams all the time :/ .. Then it's so foggy here in Germany :/ idk I guess nova guy just pissed me off by calling people idiots and lazy *****! I mean c'mon.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

A few people in this thread deserve the
Old 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Lol .. Sucks ur like that .. I really hate not liking people.. Idk . I guess there are cool guys like u out there.. Later Internet bully
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Lol .. Sucks ur like that .. I really hate not liking people.. Idk . I guess there are cool guys like u out there.. Later Internet bully
Old 11-25-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, like I said, slow down at night