Sponsored by:

4.8l upgrade questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8l upgrade questions.

Hey all!

I'm interested in doing a budget single turbo 4.8l this coming year. I have a few questions, seeing as I'm from the 4 cylinder world.

-are all ls1-like accessories bolt ons for 4.8l's?

-same cam? Can they be swapped from all v8's like them?

-can a 4.8l be punched out for 5.7 parts? Or are they any 4.8 aftermarket rod/piston sets for 4.8l's?

I have access to cheap 4.8's, most would say to go with a 5.3, but there's quite the price difference around here. Id like to build one that can rev decent, with a decent sized turbo, for instant street response. I don't need tons of power, and would like to keep it cheap! I will mention I do work for a shop, and have access to lots of parts, just looking for guidance!

All of your wisdom is much appreciated!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to hotrod magazines website and read their article "cheapest 1200 hp ever"
Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-are all ls1-like accessories bolt ons for 4.8l's?

Essentially yes, with some exceptions. The belt drive is different, and the earlier truck water pumps collide with car-intake style throttle bodies. Everything is swappable though, it's the same basic block.

-same cam? Can they be swapped from all v8's like them?

Yep, though obviously I would match it to your heads and turbo set up.

-can a 4.8l be punched out for 5.7 parts? Or are they any 4.8 aftermarket rod/piston sets for 4.8l's?

S'far as I know, though someone more experienced in boring may be able to tell you more. I do know that the aluminum 5.7's are extremely difficult to bore out very far, but I'm pretty sure the iron truck engines can be bored to 5.7. I'm pretty sure I've heard of that before. Though don't quote me on it.