New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-13-2016, 03:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Horrible MPG? How to improve it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I fill my gas tank all the way full and the needle goes past the F by the time I drive 40 miles it is below the 3/4 tank mark. I have a cam,LT's,full exhaust,deleted cats, with a dynomax bullet.....**** I just thought I needed to get it tuned. If I hit 200 miles on a tank of gas I would **** and fall in it. LOL! Will be getting a tune this next week to see if that improves me any. Also you can't stand behind my car the smell of the fumes will choke you to death. I guess deleted cats helps that issue..hahaha but damn it smells of unburnt fuel. Hope we can find a solution to this problem if not I will just keep commuting in the 4banger to work.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Teching In

My 00Z28 A4 5.3 swap gets a consistend 27-28mpg 85%H/15%City without a tune.
The biggest thing is to stay out of the gas, and use cruise as much as possible. Low revs if its a M6 and stay off the brakes, and coast more often. Save the throttle for those imports and honeys-
Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colemann
If I fill my gas tank all the way full and the needle goes past the F by the time I drive 40 miles it is below the 3/4 tank mark. I have a cam,LT's,full exhaust,deleted cats, with a dynomax bullet.....**** I just thought I needed to get it tuned. If I hit 200 miles on a tank of gas I would **** and fall in it. LOL! Will be getting a tune this next week to see if that improves me any. Also you can't stand behind my car the smell of the fumes will choke you to death. I guess deleted cats helps that issue..hahaha but damn it smells of unburnt fuel. Hope we can find a solution to this problem if not I will just keep commuting in the 4banger to work.
It would be a good idea to just commute the 4 banger and save money... money that you can put towards your real car!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You should get better than that. 250 I would think would be normal with some spirited driving. My MS4 car gets over 200 to a tank and I'm not about to run out when I fill up either. My 2000 Z, 410s, longtubes, untuned gets 19 on average and about 25 on the highway. Does the car do anything weird? Any codes? 98s were speed density weren't they? They shouldn't have a MAF or 02 sensors right ?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Tune will save a lot in fuel, with HP tuner you can change the command of the optimum air fuel from being 14.7 to whatever you feel comfortable with for cruising. I had my Denali tuned and set to 15.3 and it made it a lot better on fuel and the timing adjustments also helped as well. My truck usually gets 22 mpg highway and 18 mixed, the camaro.........probably not so good
Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

To the OP, all the talk about how many miles per tank is irrelevant. Take the car and just do some straight freeway driving (no city) and actually calculate the mpg. The term "city" driving varies a bit from city to city and you're best bet to see if it's the car or you're driving is to just do as I stated.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by need2speed94
98 Z M6 *bone stock. I get anywhere from 150-190 miles per tank (15.5 gal tank). I *do get on it quite a bit... but seriously? 150 miles on a full tank? I'm not constantly racing if you're thinking that... just quick little pulls onto the freeway or at some red lights. Just the average driving of a car enthusiast in love with his car. I do realize an LS1 is nothing to brag about when it comes to MPG, but should it be This bad? What should I replace to get better MPG? Injectors?? I'm in high school so paying for a high compression pushrod V8 isn't exactly my favorite thing in the world right now (definitely worth it though). Any help on improving my MPG would be appreciated by me and the o-zone hah.
Should post how many miles are on the car sounds like it wasn't taken care of.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
You should get better than that. 250 I would think would be normal with some spirited driving. My MS4 car gets over 200 to a tank and I'm not about to run out when I fill up either. My 2000 Z, 410s, longtubes, untuned gets 19 on average and about 25 on the highway. Does the car do anything weird? Any codes? 98s were speed density weren't they? They shouldn't have a MAF or 02 sensors right ?
Not sure, and I got this crap gas mileage from my old LS1, it recently just got a new LS1 from a 00 Z28 so maybe the new motor won't be as bad.

Originally Posted by PSI GUY
Tune will save a lot in fuel, with HP tuner you can change the command of the optimum air fuel from being 14.7 to whatever you feel comfortable with for cruising. I had my Denali tuned and set to 15.3 and it made it a lot better on fuel and the timing adjustments also helped as well. My truck usually gets 22 mpg highway and 18 mixed, the camaro.........probably not so good
Yea I hope to get her tuned real soon!

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
To the OP, all the talk about how many miles per tank is irrelevant. Take the car and just do some straight freeway driving (no city) and actually calculate the mpg. The term "city" driving varies a bit from city to city and you're best bet to see if it's the car or you're driving is to just do as I stated.
Actually I'll have a chance to do that tomorrow, I'll see how it goes on the new motor and compare it to my old motor that I was referring to.

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
Should post how many miles are on the car sounds like it wasn't taken care of.
110k. I don't believe it was either as I just threw a rod :/ Now has a 60k miles LS1 out of a 00 Z28.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I get 290-310 per tank (fill ups are never more than 13 gallons).

I spend time playing and drive in town daily but skip shift and keep the rpms down when I can. With 150k on the engine I would have to guess either your far more aggressive driving or maybe it's time for plugs? Tuneup?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

RUN all your oils motor,tranny, rear end with redline that should help a little too... i agree with the rest by making sure you dont have any vacuum leaks or anything... hope it helps youll also pick up a cpl horses to the ground!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

04 gto 27 ave on freeway mpg 15 when its rippen stage 2.5 ls6 heads,224r cam, clutch ,tick mc, gmm, and sum more stuff m6 and 20s in rear 18s in front one peace drive shaft 12.54 with only a base tune 20 inch street tires

Last edited by mscottgto; 12-11-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: miss spell dident think i was alowed to post
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MikesTA2002
RUN all your oils motor,tranny, rear end with redline that should help a little too... i agree with the rest by making sure you dont have any vacuum leaks or anything... hope it helps youll also pick up a cpl horses to the ground!
100% true do all fluids and then do them againto flush chep fluids first then whatever you think is better than the other ,alingment is a factor along with suspention, tire size, lack of matanince and premature failur go hand in hand
Old 09-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by need2speed94
98 Z M6 *bone stock. I get anywhere from 150-190 miles per tank (15.5 gal tank). I *do get on it quite a bit... but seriously? 150 miles on a full tank? I'm not constantly racing if you're thinking that... just quick little pulls onto the freeway or at some red lights. Just the average driving of a car enthusiast in love with his car. I do realize an LS1 is nothing to brag about when it comes to MPG, but should it be This bad? What should I replace to get better MPG? Injectors?? I'm in high school so paying for a high compression pushrod V8 isn't exactly my favorite thing in the world right now (definitely worth it though). Any help on improving my MPG would be appreciated by me and the o-zone hah.
Well I get like 130-150 per tank and I get on it quite a bit, all stock

Quick Reply: Horrible MPG? How to improve it?