New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting some headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012 | 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
So by keeping my SLP LM cat-back there is a chance I will lose back pressure and thus some torque?
Should be good with the LM...3" exhaust is fine for these cars. I was just saying that you don't need to run and buy the biggest diameter exhaust you can find. Now as to whether you will still like the LM after putting headers on is another question. Haven't heard one with just headers on it, but with headers and a cam that thing is obnoxiously loud IMO. I'd definitely have cats on it.
Old 01-24-2012 | 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
Should be good with the LM...3" exhaust is fine for these cars. I was just saying that you don't need to run and buy the biggest diameter exhaust you can find. Now as to whether you will still like the LM after putting headers on is another question. Haven't heard one with just headers on it, but with headers and a cam that thing is obnoxiously loud IMO. I'd definitely have cats on it.
I have the cats on my car right now. Before adding headers I plan on either adding a Magnaflow muffler or probably a Borla muffler to give it bettter tone.
Old 01-24-2012 | 12:41 PM
Launching!

I have the cats on my car right now. Before adding headers I plan on either adding a Magnaflow muffler or probably a Borla muffler to give it bettter tone.
Stock cats and y-pipe?? When I ordered my ARH LT's, I also got their y-pipe with high flow cats so it all fits together and flows better than the stock flattened out y-pipe. Plus it was all SS.
Old 01-24-2012 | 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
Stock cats and y-pipe?? When I ordered my ARH LT's, I also got their y-pipe with high flow cats so it all fits together and flows better than the stock flattened out y-pipe. Plus it was all SS.
The SLP LM cat-back is 100% stainless steel also. I elected to keep the cats on, because I didn't want it to be super loud and raspy.
Old 01-24-2012 | 01:50 PM
Launching!

The SLP LM cat-back is 100% stainless steel also. I elected to keep the cats on, because I didn't want it to be super loud and raspy.
Yeah, I was just referring to a full exhaust system like ARH, Kooks, etc that are all stainless steel vs something that is not.
Old 01-24-2012 | 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

To the OP and whoever else is interested, feel free to pm us or call. We will gladly answer any questions you have about our headers.

Although we have been out of stock on the 1 7/8" Stainless F-body headers for quite a while, we are supposed to have them here in about a week!
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-24-2012 | 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the OP first of all how much is your budget, that's going to make a whole lot difference for your exhaust system.
If money isn't an issue then I'll recommend Kooks 1 7/8" witht their true duals setup. That's my dream setup that I'll have in my car someday.

For a budget setup, I'd recommend you to go with TSP 1 7/8, that's the best bang for the SS headers in the market period. Another thing is, does your state requires emission test? If yes then you'll have to consider getting catted Y pipe which would be more expensive, than regular ORY. For the exhaust, you can use the one that you have right now, I've had LM1 before and it was too loud for my taste.

You won't need a tune with headers, I've had 2 camaros previous the one I have right now, and they ran fine without tune.

As for ground clearance, with stock height I don't see any problem you're running LT, I'm lowered and I have LT, just be cautious when you hit speed bumps don't speed through them.
Old 01-24-2012 | 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
To the OP and whoever else is interested, feel free to pm us or call. We will gladly answer any questions you have about our headers.

Although we have been out of stock on the 1 7/8" Stainless F-body headers for quite a while, we are supposed to have them here in about a week!
You're killing me smalls... I just looked today and was like damn it.

High demand I'm guessing?
Old 01-24-2012 | 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raysadude
To the OP first of all how much is your budget, that's going to make a whole lot difference for your exhaust system.
If money isn't an issue then I'll recommend Kooks 1 7/8" witht their true duals setup. That's my dream setup that I'll have in my car someday.

For a budget setup, I'd recommend you to go with TSP 1 7/8, that's the best bang for the SS headers in the market period. Another thing is, does your state requires emission test? If yes then you'll have to consider getting catted Y pipe which would be more expensive, than regular ORY. For the exhaust, you can use the one that you have right now, I've had LM1 before and it was too loud for my taste.

You won't need a tune with headers, I've had 2 camaros previous the one I have right now, and they ran fine without tune.

As for ground clearance, with stock height I don't see any problem you're running LT, I'm lowered and I have LT, just be cautious when you hit speed bumps don't speed through them.
You said I don't need a tune? Everyone else says the car will run like crap and probably run rich until you do get a tune.

My budget really is hopefully less than $1,000 for parts and tune.

I currently live in Mississippi, they don't give a damn about emissions.

Won't not having cats make it a lot louder and have more rasp? I think I'd like it to be loud, but not that loud. I do plan on adding a muffler to my cat-back, Borla or maybe Magnaflow, something to quiet it down and add more tone.
Old 01-26-2012 | 12:45 AM
Launching!

Not having cats will definitely make it louder and create some rasp esp with the LM1. I would stick with cats. I think as you add more to the LM1 as far as headers, cam, etc., to me it gets louder but does not have much of a tone to it...its just LOUD noise. I think loud w/ tone sounds awesome, whereas just loud does not, if that makes sense. And yes, I would get a tune. It may "run" without it, but to get the most out of what you are adding you need to get one.
Old 01-26-2012 | 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

BBK LTs and ORY... It has a very decent merge on them and are a breeze to install.

350$ shipped from a sponsor on the board, can't beat that.
Old 01-26-2012 | 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the BBKs are a good deal and great for lowered cars.
Old 01-26-2012 | 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
BBK LTs and ORY... It has a very decent merge on them and are a breeze to install.

350$ shipped from a sponsor on the board, can't beat that.
Guessing they are painted at that price?
Old 01-26-2012 | 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chrome I beleive for the 375$...Go to the ws6 store...They have a catagory for everything 98-02 F-body. I was gonna go for bbks ceramic coated, best price with a nice merge in the y-pipe. But I decided to go with pacesetters to slip fit with tsp duals.
Old 01-26-2012 | 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Guessing they are painted at that price?
"Chrome"... Most pics I have seen after 2-3 years still look pretty damn good. No rusting (few very very very small surface spot dots on the collectors, nothing to worry about)..

350$ shipped is what you can get them for. Nice piece for the money, and it includes a Y with a decent merge. Even with the 2.5" y it would make more power than TSP/pacesetters/kooks/etc Y pipe because the merge is so much nicer.
Old 01-26-2012 | 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you guys... that's a damn nice savings over the 650ish price I was looking at!
Old 01-26-2012 | 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes it is.. Can't beat it honestly.
Old 01-26-2012 | 02:56 PM
Launching!

so you guys think the chrome holds up as well as Stainless?
Old 01-26-2012 | 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Go Kooks or ARH and be done with it... you can't go wrong with either.
Old 01-26-2012 | 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dummybait
Go Kooks or ARH and be done with it... you can't go wrong with either.
Want to lend me 1200.00? LOL .. j/k .. kooks is way out of my price range regardless of their quality.

Quick Reply: Wanting some headers