New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting some headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $380 shipped for my pacesetter off-road long tubes and y-pipe a few years ago from one of the sponsors on here. From a performance stand point, those alone brought me from stock 13.4s at 104 to 12.9s at 107. That's untuned, but she runs rich. I've found that to be luck of the draw as far as needing a tune goes. Some people fair better than others. Mine runs rich, but hasn't had any problems since installing them about 50k miles ago. I did, however, have to get a friend to turn off my rear o2 sensors with HPTuners since I'm running a catless Y-pipe.

I also ordered the Corvette o2 sensors from Amazon after having problems with extending my own wires. They're Bosch 13111's if you go that route.

Being a Mississippi man, I'd recommend going ceramic coated if you don't get a stainless set. When I still lived there mine held up perfectly, but 2 years of driving in the Pennsylvania salt has rusted them pretty badly. There are no holes or anything and they shine from above, but get underneath the car and it looks terrible. You can go painted, but with many companies the paint is for shipping purposes only and will not hold up to the heat. That said, you'd need to strip and repaint them with a quality high temp paint.

Fitment was great on the headers, but my Y-pipe bangs on the floorboard from time to time. I'm not sure if that's a design flaw or my own installation mistakes, but I've heard other pipes are less prone to banging. Speaking of installation, I flat backed it on jack stands, bringing them up from the bottom. If you aren't afraid to wrench, it isn't so bad. It's a bit of a pain and might take you the weekend, but it's doable in the driveway.

As far as my muffler is concerned I took the road less traveled and went with an 18" Sweet Thunder bullet style muffler. It has a very smooth, chambered sound.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I paid $380 shipped for my pacesetter off-road long tubes and y-pipe a few years ago from one of the sponsors on here. From a performance stand point, those alone brought me from stock 13.4s at 104 to 12.9s at 107. That's untuned, but she runs rich. I've found that to be luck of the draw as far as needing a tune goes. Some people fair better than others. Mine runs rich, but hasn't had any problems since installing them about 50k miles ago. I did, however, have to get a friend to turn off my rear o2 sensors with HPTuners since I'm running a catless Y-pipe.

I also ordered the Corvette o2 sensors from Amazon after having problems with extending my own wires. They're Bosch 13111's if you go that route.

Being a Mississippi man, I'd recommend going ceramic coated if you don't get a stainless set. When I still lived there mine held up perfectly, but 2 years of driving in the Pennsylvania salt has rusted them pretty badly. There are no holes or anything and they shine from above, but get underneath the car and it looks terrible. You can go painted, but with many companies the paint is for shipping purposes only and will not hold up to the heat. That said, you'd need to strip and repaint them with a quality high temp paint.

Fitment was great on the headers, but my Y-pipe bangs on the floorboard from time to time. I'm not sure if that's a design flaw or my own installation mistakes, but I've heard other pipes are less prone to banging. Speaking of installation, I flat backed it on jack stands, bringing them up from the bottom. If you aren't afraid to wrench, it isn't so bad. It's a bit of a pain and might take you the weekend, but it's doable in the driveway.

As far as my muffler is concerned I took the road less traveled and went with an 18" Sweet Thunder bullet style muffler. It has a very smooth, chambered sound.
Thanks for the great advice. Might be a dumb question, but what are the cons of running too rich?

And with a tune how much lower of a time do you think you could get?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Getting ready to order the bbks, what extra do I need? 02 sims, header bolts?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Getting ready to order the bbks, what extra do I need? 02 sims, header bolts?
I reused my stock header bolts and gaskets when I did mine. Also, I recommend v-band clamps over u-bolts and the corvette o2 sensors I mentioned before.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Thanks for the great advice. Might be a dumb question, but what are the cons of running too rich?

And with a tune how much lower of a time do you think you could get?
Other than poorer mileage and the smell I don't really know lol. Mine has given me no issues and it has been 50k so how bad can it be? With a tune I'm also unsure what kind of gains can be had since I've never had it dynoed or anything. With a better 60ft I could have gone a tenth or two better, but I was more than pleased by gaining a half second just from some damn headers.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
You're killing me smalls... I just looked today and was like damn it.

High demand I'm guessing?
They are high demand, but we should get our big shipment in this week!
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Hi Jake, how come there is no option for coating your TSP headers on the website? Do you have any recomendations in regards to coating?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by efizjb
Hi Jake, how come there is no option for coating your TSP headers on the website? Do you have any recomendations in regards to coating?

Stainless steel headers aren't coated, normally. I've never seen coated stainless headers, but I'm sure there are a few out there, just not many.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We dont offer a coating because stainless steel should last a several years without degrading or rusting.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really want to feel a difference and be considerably quicker...get a higher stall torque converter. It would probably net you some high 12 second quarter mile passes.

If you want it to sound wicked and go a little faster...get headers.

Just my Opinion.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

As for the BBKs: I have the chrome. I don't take my car out if roads are wet or in the winter at all, but I did manage to put a couple thousand miles on it over the summer. Aside from a slight multi-colored tint, they still look brand new after over a year. I can compare that to the painted pacesetters I helped a friend install, which also didn't see weather, and rusted almost immediately, and another friend who had Jet Hot ceramic coated headers that were rusted to hell after 2 years, but he did drive his car all year too.

BBKs are also available with a ceramic coating, I think it's about $100 more.

Like a lot of people said though, you really can't beat the 1 7/8 TSPs in stainless for $500. If that deal had been on when I got headers there would have been no contest.

Same buddy that has the pacesetters had a LM1. Personally I thought it sounded like open headers when it was only the catback. After actually putting headers and ORY on... I know it isn't possible, but I would swear it was louder than open headers. He liked it, I guess, but riding in that car was harsh. I can't imagine anyone would want a daily driver to be that loud. In fact if you go with an off-road Y pipe, just a swap to another bullet-style muffler may not do it for you. If you go with cats and a muffler swap I think you'll have no problems living with it.

I have the TSP Rumbler catback and after I did the headers and ORY, it was too much. I don't weld, and all the exhaust shops in my area suck, so I tried resonated tips before springing for a whole new exhaust, expected them to do jack ****, but to my surprise they worked. Took just enough of the edge off that it wasn't so harsh and eliminated a lot of the drone.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I reused my stock header bolts and gaskets when I did mine. Also, I recommend v-band clamps over u-bolts and the corvette o2 sensors I mentioned before.
I just realized I bought new gaskets when I pulled my heads and never used them. I should be good with headers, y-pipe and the corvette sensors. Thanks!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Why do people get Corvette sensors? What's wrong with the Camaro ones?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The corvettes read a bit better (because of the location on the Corvette) and you don't after to run any kind of extension because of the added length.

Just makes things easier/cleaner and possibly read better.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
We dont offer a coating because stainless steel should last a several years without degrading or rusting.
Ok. I thought the reduction in underhood temps was reason enough to have them coated. Looking to replace my SLP long tubes which are junk, but they are coated stainless. The fit (low hanging) and performance is terrible, but they still look good after years.

I keep checking the site hoping you have stock soon on the 1 7/8.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW TSP... I had 500$ sitting here waiting to spend it on your headers, then I sold my Kooks tonight... That was another 600$. I have decided to go a different route for now.

I was ready to buy and they would be on their way right now... You guys need to keep more headers in stock at any given time and when you get low, make more. Come on now..
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know that ebay brand OBX makes a decent stainless header for cheap. Problem is I cant seem to find a link to a y pipe anywhere. I know others purchased both OBX headers and ORY for dirt cheap, 299 or something. Id b willing to pay that, but I cant find a y pipe for them.

Anyone know where you can get get both OBX LTs and a y pipe? or a y pipe that will work with their headers. I believe they use FLPs old LT design.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by whitdog54
I know that ebay brand OBX makes a decent stainless header for cheap. Problem is I cant seem to find a link to a y pipe anywhere. I know others purchased both OBX headers and ORY for dirt cheap, 299 or something. Id b willing to pay that, but I cant find a y pipe for them.

Anyone know where you can get get both OBX LTs and a y pipe? or a y pipe that will work with their headers. I believe they use FLPs old LT design.
I have researched this setup extensively and have talked to 10 people who have this system. Obx stainless headers and y-pipe.What I did is found the seller and looked up everyone who bought the setup thru him.I then contacted them thru Ebay and asked how the fitment,quality,performance,and how they are holding up after 2 yrs time and all had great things to say about the setup.Best bang for the buck!! BEST OF ALL THEY ARE STAINLESS!!
Here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=200698496308

Last edited by ws6man29; 02-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Just ordered the BBKs.. the ebay thing just gives me a bad vibe... they were almost half the price of the TSPs so I hope I don't regret it down the road but I can't wait forever. :/
Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Teching In

just wanted to poke in and say i ordered up some BBK's - the price made me do it. they just arrived on friday and i'm pretty stoked. They appear to be much better then expected for the price paid. Now i just ahve to find time to install them.

I am using EFI Live to kill the rear o2's and my EGR. so to the anyone else pondering these, remember that if you have an egr car thats something else you need to get rid of (tune)

Quick Reply: Wanting some headers