Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast intake or ls6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Even independent tests have proven the BBK setup makes more than ls6 setup.

Wanna solve intake issues? Buy a blower, FORCE that air in there!!!
I dont see too many good reviews on the bbk. The only good reviews are from bbk. Once you add in the extra weight of the bbk im sure any hp advantage would be ruled out.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ws6man29
THEN SHOW ME THESE TESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! if they even exist and If its a reliable source then I will say you are right but do not just throw out there BBk is better than Ls6 because it is offered as a aftermarket bolt on that claims 17 rwhp over a ls6 setup Lets face it we all know these performance part stores all beef up their rwhp claim to get us to buy the parts.Its a marketing thing.Really buy my MAF and you will gain 20 rwhp come on get real they just want our money and their is people out there stupid enough to buy the false horsepower claims."""""""""I sell these parts on a daily basis""""""""" and I can tell you all the manufactures exaderate their claims here is Bbks claim

•Provides 18-24 Horsepower Increase On Stock LS1, 12-15 Horsepower Increase On Z06

They also do not tell you the intake weighs 34 lbs compared to the 8lb ls6.They do not tell you that you can fry a egg on their intake a 1/2 hr after you shut the car off either.
I'm not doing your research for you because you are too lazy or don't want to believe.

You have studderings link, believe whatever you want.

Ls6 weighs 10#s roughly and BBK weighs 24#s roughly.

Please don't tell me you are going to go the "heat soak" route.

I didn't say anything about manufacturer claims, they are always wrong.

Whether you sell the intakes or not is irrelevant to me.

Thunder,I agree with you that they are almost identical and would prefer the black one also.Here is a quote from the link you posted.Also from that link the tester said the BBk had only 5 rwhp more than the ls6 so I guess if you get a good deal on the ls6 get it!Plus the advantages of not having a metal intake for heatsoak and weight is also a factor.So my opinion is ls6 over BBk SSi

"""""I'm mixed on this. If I had a stock TB and a LS1 intake, I would buy a BBK for sure. Unless I found a LS6 intake cheap, like $250 that dosnt happen much. Most are $330-350. A BBK 85mm intake is only $399 at NewEra were I got mine. So thats a good deal if you have a LS1 intake still, its 5whp more then a LS6"""""""""""
I never said it made XX Rwhp more than an ls6 intake, I said it made more Rwhp. For a bolt on car if I was on a budget I would definitely buy a BBK setup for an extra 5-8Rwhp. People spend 75$ on TB porting that maybe picks up 1-2Rwhp max. A BBK runs 50$ more brand new than an ls6 intake sells for on average.

BBK makes more power than the ls6 intake for slightly more money.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Once you add in the extra weight of the bbk im sure any hp advantage would be ruled out.
LS6= 9.825#

Fast (with some bondo work)= 11.225#

BBK= 24.875#
Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont see too many good reviews on the bbk. The only good reviews are from bbk. Once you add in the extra weight of the bbk im sure any hp advantage would be ruled out.
Really man? 10#s is negated by 5-9Rwhp? No. I will give you it might make a >1 Rwhp loss factoring in the weight, not quite 1 but close.

Yes, there is many negative posts about them.. Usually from people like ^^^ this guy.

I posted the facts up, everything else is opinion on them.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That ad was from GM high tech and the test was done at an ex shop out by me that had a reliable dyno. The gains are there. The test with the cold air intake on should be an even better indicator that the LS6 will get beat on even a stock LS6. Idk how you guys can sit here and say that an intake that flows more and has a better runner design than the LS6 and that it doesn't gain anything. Even if I had an LS6 I'd sell it for a BBK, at most I'd pay 50 bucks for it and get around 10rwhp? I'll take it all day. Again heat soak is a myth, tests have shown at operating temp the intake will raise the temperature going into the heads by 1 degree. Not enough to.have an affect especially considering the PCM reads from the sensor in the lid or MAF. Also most people generally accept every 100 pounds adds up to roughly .1 in the 1/4 mile. So 10 pounds is .01 of a second. If you can feel one one hundredth of a second at the track thats bs
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just keep the LS6 intake and spend money on another mod, maybe a bigger cam and gears.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once you add in the extra weight of the bbk im sure any hp advantage would be ruled out.
Really??? Jesus man, 15 extra pounds vs. 10hp???

That is like saying rear ends are worthless because they sap more power and weigh more.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not doing your research for you because you are too lazy or don't want to believe.

You have studderings link, believe whatever you want.

Ls6 weighs 10#s roughly and BBK weighs 24#s roughly.

Please don't tell me you are going to go the "heat soak" route.

I didn't say anything about manufacturer claims, they are always wrong.

Whether you sell the intakes or not is irrelevant to me.

I never said it made XX Rwhp more than an ls6 intake, I said it made more Rwhp. For a bolt on car if I was on a budget I would definitely buy a BBK setup for an extra 5-8Rwhp. People spend 75$ on TB porting that maybe picks up 1-2Rwhp max. A BBK runs 50$ more brand new than an ls6 intake sells for on average.

BBK makes more power than the ls6 intake for slightly more money.
Thunderstruck had the best comparison in his link with the indepth dyno results!!
Read the quote only 5rwhp from a so called aftermarket bolt on performance product worth $530 just for the intake(keep in mind no discount)the tb is $389 (with out discount) and the kit for both is $ 829 (with out discount)i know the cheapest I can sell the kit for is $700.
So if you are a guy like me and already has an Ls6 on his Ram Air Ws6 because it came stock that way and you just use a ported 78mm tb from potz performance you are in the same bracket as the guy who wasted $800 for the BBK.And the ls6 guy is only out $75 for the tb and has the same performance.

So for you guys out there if you have a ls6 keep it!!! When it comes to bolt on modz!!Port the tb or buy an 80MM but IT IS better to get one from Potz Performance on ebay and save your money.
BBk is not worth it if you """"""""""already have a ls6 intake""""""""""".
If you have an ls1 intake then the BBK would be something to look at but not if you have the ls6!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLAIN AND SIMPLE""" IF YOU HAVE THE LS6""" DO YOU WASTE $800 ON THE bbK FOR A WOPPING 5 RWHP OR DO YOU DO THE SMART THING AND BUY SOME HEADS AND CAM WITH THE $800 YOU DID NOT WASTE!! WHICH WILL MAKE YOU 20-30 RWHP

Enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ws6man29; 01-27-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ Exactly!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have much else to say to you about the subject to you... You are being very closed minded/ignorant/biased.

You can spin it whatever way you want to make you feel better, the fact is for just a few more bucks you can make a few more Rwhp.

I am unsubscribing, I stopped posting for a while because of people like you.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
^^ Exactly!!!
Yes just jump on and agree... Don't look at the facts. THIS is how bad information is spread and why people make misinformed decision.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't know all the facts, etc... A. Don't post B. Don't agree or disagree with a post.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by ronny_02_ws6
^^ exactly!!!
God thank you !!! Finally someone with common sense!!!!!!!!!!!! BESIDES THUNDERSTRUCK
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

yes just jump on and agree... Don't look at the facts. This is how bad information is spread and why people make misinformed decision.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't know all the facts, etc... A. Don't post b. Don't agree or disagree with a post.
lemons

i guess you are the""" THE UNFORTUNATE PERSON"" who would spend $800 for 5 rwhp thru an intake instead of using it towards a head and cam!!!!

You fool
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 02CamZ28
i currently have an ls6 intake on my 02 camaro z28 with stock tb. What kind of gains would i possibly see if i got like a fast 92/92 or 102/102? I currently have ported 5.3 heads, torquer v2, ls6 intake, slp cai and lid, pacesetter lts, tsp true duals dumped bullets, and hp tune. Thanks for all input
I switched from a ls6 intake to a fast 90 when my car was full bolt on and had a set of ported 243's with the stock cam. I only gained about 5 rwhp in the mid range for a couple thousand rpms and lost about 1/2 hp peak. This was tested on a Dyno jet. I have tested and documented basically every thing done to my car on the dyno.I hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im out too. Idk why the hell you would buy the BBK new when all day you can get the manifold and TB used for 500. LS6s are selling for around 325 these days. So for 175 or 50 at most if you reuse your stock TB you have a manifold that gained a solid 10rwhp and 15 rwtq on a STOCK LS6. I dont know why you wouldnt take it off. IMO the only reasons to run an LS6 are if you are staying bone stock to collect the car or show it, if you boost your motor and want to save some money or if you run the money maker kit. Other than that rip it off asap. You guys can keep believing that it will be ok until 450rwhp and guys like Lemons and myself will take the smart route and make more power
Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

God thank you !!! Finally someone with common sense!!!!!!!!!!!! BESIDES THUNDERSTRUCK
Or just not looking at what is being said and the facts.
lemons

i guess you are the""" THE UNFORTUNATE PERSON"" who would spend $800 for 5 rwhp thru an intake instead of using it towards a head and cam!!!!

You fool
Its not 800$. I can get a brand new BBK for 400$ shipped to my door. An ls6 intake it 350$, that is 50$ difference.... Whether I have the buy the ls6 intake or I already have it and I can sell it.... Its still 50$.

You aren't teaching me anything, you have shown me your ignorance in this thread. You say you sell these intakes? Do you own a shop? If so that sucks for some people... Are you a phone guy/salesman at a shop? If so, this all makes sense.

Watch it with the name calling.

See ya!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Im out too. Idk why the hell you would buy the BBK new when all day you can get the manifold and TB used for 500. LS6s are selling for around 325 these days. So for 175 or 50 at most if you reuse your stock TB you have a manifold that gained a solid 10rwhp and 15 rwtq on a STOCK LS6. I dont know why you wouldnt take it off. IMO the only reasons to run an LS6 are if you are staying bone stock to collect the car or show it, if you boost your motor and want to save some money or if you run the money maker kit. Other than that rip it off asap. You guys can keep believing that it will be ok until 450rwhp and guys like Lemons and myself will take the smart route and make more power
I actually will be running an Ls6..... But A D1 @ 10#s kind of helps it flow.

I ran a ported 102 setup on my H/C 346. And made way more power over my SLP ls6 intake/ported TB setup.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by studderin
I'm mixed on this. If I had a stock TB and a LS1 intake, I would buy a BBK for sure. Unless I found a LS6 intake cheap, like $250 that dosnt happen much. Most are $330-350. A BBK 85mm intake is only $399 at NewEra were I got mine. So thats a good deal if you have a LS1 intake still, its 5whp more then a LS6, that like 25% the power gain for not alot more money.
And you can port them pretty easy, maybe even fit a used 90mm TB on them. But Ive found most 346s are fine with a 85MM TB. The BBK is really nice compaired to that Profenial Products intake, Ive worked with 2 of them, and there were both junk. That heat soak stuff is BS, after the dyno pull I could push my hand hard on the BBK and keep it there. Warm not hot, just the same as my LS6 gets.
If I had a LS6 intake and a ported stock TB I don't think I'd buy a BBK, but then agian it was amost have the gains of the fast over the really good LS6 intake with a 75mm TB. And I could, and I'm going to sell my LS6 for 330-350$ and my ported stock TB for $100.
The fast intake is a lot of money all setup on your car, I was hoping to make 420whp and was disapointed on the 415whp. But even Mike at new era said he sees a lot of cars that don't gain 13-15whp over a LS6, and with tunning only gaina 9-11 kinda sucks for the money. But its true if you have stock heads, and cubes. But I've seen cars gain 25-30 with smaller 370-383cube deals, and good heads, over the LS6.
1- Note at the start, the op does have a ls1 intake.

2- Heat Soak is not a problem

3- Note that Mike even states with different heads the gains would have been more and studderin is cam only
Old 01-27-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

lemons

You fool
The OP already has heads/cam so this would only strengthen the gains the BBK would see over the LS6 and your cost is WAY off.

and somehow we are the fools???

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
You guys can keep believing that it will be ok until 450rwhp and guys like Lemons and myself will take the smart route and make more power
Could not have said it better

Cheers

Last edited by My6speedZ; 01-27-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL! I love this thread: Look, IMO everything depends in how you can afford parts, If it would be me I'd just stay with the LS6 intake and buy me a bigger cam, gears and a Dyno tune since I would have the ported 5.3 heads.

If I would have money to spend I minus well go with a Fast 102, Even Tony Mamo says its not overkill, it's just a myth on loosing low end with a FAST 102.

Quick Reply: Fast intake or ls6 intake