Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Start Probem - NEED HELP / THOUGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Start Probem - NEED HELP / THOUGHTS

I have an LS2 that I recently installed a cam/head package from TSP. This is in a hot rod and as a stand alone program - ran great stock for 2500 miles. MTI in GA went to tune the new configuration and the car will not hot start at all. Cold it fires up instantly, hot the starter barely turns if at all. All connections are solid and it does the same thing even if the charge is placed directly on the starter lug.

Here is the kicker - I have a track weekend at Barber Motorsports in two days and I can't start the freaking engine hot.

Here is what I've done:
1) Retraced the entire positive feed to the starter lug.
2) Checked ground from batter to chassis and trans to chassis.
3) Connected a short #4 cable to the starter lug and fed power directly.
4) Jumped the solenoid trigger to the starter lug.
5) Connected jump start to the battery itself.

ALL OF THE ABOVE DO NOT WORK WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT. When the engine is cool or even warm it fires right up with ZERO hesitation. It now appears the timing isn't being pulled in a HOT condition. Is this possible? The tuner says he can't do anything until I get the car running...everyone else tells me the TUNER needs to fix the hot start timing. What are your thoughts. I'm supposed to load in two days and have allot to do well beyond getting the car to start. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by crackertoo; 02-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Is it possible it's just the starter heat soaking? Depending on how hot your starter is getting , how close it is to headers for example, high temps can turn a weak connection into no connection and then back into a weak connection when everything cools back down...
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crackertoo
hot the starter barely turns if at all.
This message would leave me to believe it is a starter issue.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Connect the ground cable directly to the engine. #4 cable is not large enough to supply adequate current to the starter. Increase the size of both the positive & ground cables to #1 & connect the ground cable directly to the engine.

Barry

Quick Reply: Hot Start Probem - NEED HELP / THOUGHTS