Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO vs F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
Yes - it's really hard not to chime in and defend my baby when people start insulting her. I wasn't even shopping for a new car and I fell in love with the GTO and own one. BUT it's not an f-body or f-body replacement. It's also NOT a race car.
Heck - we all have LS1's - shouldn't we all be busting on the ricer's and sticking up for our rwd v8 brethren?
Oh, and the dyno numbers have easily proven the GTO at the advertised 350 crank hp - why would they do any sort of buyback?
Dan
True.

The GTO is different. GM has nothing like the F-Body any longer. The GTO is the only RWD V8 that can be had new for under 40k.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

You also gotta remember what the GTO really is. I mean, for all those that are complaining about the looks and what not. I think it is a very accurate, modern day depiction of the original GTO. The original was pretty much just a LeMans with a bigger engine and stuff to support it. Look at the new GTO. It looks a lot like Pontiacs other sedans, just a bit sprotier. It has a bigger engine and the stuff to support it. I don't think anything can ever justifiably replace the F-body. The GTO was not made to replace it.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

If you can get past the styling, I'd say the new GTO is a winner. It would be really nice to have a nice interior, more comfy seats, more features, and the same rwd V8 in a better built/modern package.

The only reason I'd never sell the SS for one is that they look like a fat Cavalier.

I think Mike put it best:

"I can't imagine anyone wanting a sleeper. Heck when I'm driving down the road I want other cars to say oh Sh--t here comes the beast."
Old 03-23-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RealDealCamSS
...It would be really nice to have a nice interior, more comfy seats, more features, and the same rwd V8 in a better built/modern package.
I agree. The camaro interior (other than 35th anniverisary) is outdated and the seats suck.

I think Mike put it best:

"I can't imagine anyone wanting a sleeper. Heck when I'm driving down the road I want other cars to say oh Sh--t here comes the beast."
I like having a sleeper. I don't need the police focusing on my car, nor do I want to waste gas racing hopped-up Honda accords from stoplights because some pimple-faced teenager wants to try to prove how cool his car is to his girlfriend. I'm more than happy to hear from my buddies that the tower announcer was surprised to see my unassuming convertible blow right past a loud, flashy car on the way to a mid 11 timeslip.

It's a shame that the GTO is so heavy. There is no reason that Pontiac needed that much weight. Good seats, high quality switches, and a stiffer frame don't add weight. Pontiac decided to cut costs and not do it right.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

I have seen the GTO up close and the car has some potential.
The interior is nice. The engine is accessible for plugs and wires and such (I dread the thought of changing my plugs). It has allot of HP stock without a SC.

I hated the design originally. That had allot to do with the F-Body ceasing to exist and blaming the GTO. F8@K!

But the Holden Manero has some nice design points, though not a pony car.

I think with some changes the car would fit with cars that are more refined and sporty. The Audi S4 is a bad ride, IMO. The GTO may get there.

But, I will pay off my WS6 because she is going no where.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Yes - it's really hard not to chime in and defend my baby when people start insulting her. I wasn't even shopping for a new car and I fell in love with the GTO and own one. BUT it's not an f-body or f-body replacement. It's also NOT a race car.
Heck - we all have LS1's - shouldn't we all be busting on the ricer's and sticking up for our rwd v8 brethren?
Oh, and the dyno numbers have easily proven the GTO at the advertised 350 crank hp - why would they do any sort of buyback?
Dan
Same thing happened to me. I had a 4th gen TA and wasn't in the market for a new car. But I happened to go in the Pontiac showroom to check out a GTO in person, went for a little ride, and next thing I knew I was driving it home. I held on to the TA for a while after that but found it to be so inferior to the GTO that I really didn't want to drive it anymore and I sold it to my brother. Maybe I'll regret that someday but not right now..
Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Art_Vandelay...

Are you into imports.... or exports? /seinfeld

This makes me want to go drive a GTO real bad. Finally a car I could pass off as a family car to the wife.

Last edited by Kevyn; 03-23-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Teching In

The GTO is not overrated in horsepower. It's that the F-bodies were underrated in factory horsepower. Mine says 325hp but GM will tell you it was more like 368hp.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aaaaakkkkk..
ls1 powered grand prix =gto
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were shopping for a more practical car, the GTO would be in my garage hands down. This thread, though, is kinda screwed from the start. It's like starting a thread "What's more comfortable, a GTO, or a Firebird?". Both have their own merits, both are LS1 based, both are fun. Bottom line, folks-they both came from the GENERAL!!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dear Pontiac,
Please bring back the Trans-am, I'm thinking all wheel drive, Turbo charged big block for starters, and then who knows...To each is own on the GTO, I personally think they suck, but wheather they suck or not, we still want the Trans-Am back, but don't bring it back if it's not going to come of the factory line with at least 500hp...

~Thanks for listening....(YeaRight)
Old 03-23-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
folks-they both came from the GENERAL!!!!
amen!! i'm going to stay "an army of one" and i hope everyone else in here will to
Old 03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

The Judge is going to be coming out in 05- I'll wait till then to pass judgement (no pun intended). It's supposed to be faster (LS6?) and look a lot more badass with retro hood scoops and graphics and a spoiler. Hopefully they'll have VOE like the 70 RAIV goats (variable open exhaust-"elec. cutout"). That would be cool.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
Bottom line, folks-they both came from the GENERAL!!!!
thats right lets not forget that we're all soldiers (f-bod's/GTO's) fighting for the General!!... Ford/Imports

Last edited by Danny2tek; 03-23-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kevyn
Art_Vandelay...

Are you into imports.... or exports? /seinfeld

This makes me want to go drive a GTO real bad. Finally a car I could pass off as a family car to the wife.
I'm thinking of giving up the importing and just focus on the exporting. In any case, I just want to say I find those Mustang/Import guys to be both loathsome and repugnant.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
thats right lets not forget that we're all soldiers (f-bod's/GTO's) fighting for the General!!... Ford/Imports
I totally agree.

Not every GM muscle car is going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally like them all and think they're really cool.

Can't we all get along and admire each others rides as different as they may be?

I'd like to buy a new GTO after I get a chance to drive one (which nobody will let me do right now), but the treatment it gets on this site makes me afraid to ask any questions or get any help when I end up with one.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like it and i think it has potential.

its supposed to be getting an ls2 motor in the near future.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

They are a big hit over here, but they are made in Aussie land and they call them "Lumina".
No match for f-bodies though. That IRS is not drag material.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i own a a4 2002 commodore ss which is faster than the 2 door stock
it even wont run close to a a4 ls1 fbody
not even a a4 lt1 fbody
the thing is better from the inside than a fbody
and does not need DRs as much as they do
but "It looks a lot like Pontiacs other sedans"
its as they call it here "GM's rx8"
Old 03-28-2004, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

It may not look like it belongs in road warrior movies or anything - and it may not beat any LS1 f-bodies - but it sure feels good to drive and the V8 RWD combo is nice.

The 3-400 pounds would be shed real easily if you wanted to drag a GTO only. Personally I like the comfortable power leather seats, 10 speaker stereo and air conditioning - but they aren't condusive to racing if that's your thing. I will say it needs headers and an exhaust. I keep trying to convince myself it can wait until next spring...

Dan
Dan, I am moving to the East Side in June, to start a job in Livonia. Love to see the GTO some time...

Quick Reply: GTO vs F-Body