New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum, in search of lq9 advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum, in search of lq9 advise

I poked around a few LS forums before joining this one. Looks like a good community here.

I'm no stranger to the LS based engine. Although I've never bothered to do any performance upgrades to an LS. I have 220k trouble free miles on my 4.8l Silverado and a mechanic by trade. I don't think there is a better platform out there right now. For that reason, when I started my International Harvester pick up build, I turned to a trusty GM driveline. My 64' Harvester frame has been clipped with a late 99-2000 Silverado 2wd front frame section. It has been shortened from a 9ft bed to a 6ft, the stock rear end from the donor Silverado was narrowed 4in total and running the stock 3:73 rear gears. I have an 04-05 LQ9 6L sitting in it and a 4L60E I need to have rebuilt before installing.

Now my question is to cam or not to cam? I think the engine is going to be stupid fast in this light little truck, but I would like the sound of a small cam. This will be my daily driver come next year when I pass my 2000 1500 to my son for his 16th birthday. The only mods to the LQ9 are new SS Camaro exhaust manifolds. The computer was already tuned and the wire harness simplified before I bought the engine. So the fact that it is ready to hook up and run as is, is deterring me from spending money on cam/springs/and cost of programing again?

My budget truck is over budget with plenty to do. I'm trying to decide where to draw the line in the sand on this truck.
Any thoughts on the matter or any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on the cam you choose you'll be looking at buying a higher stall converter for your auto trans. So if you are already over budget the stall might make the decision not to cam it. Some others might chime in with a small enough cam that can work with a stock converter or you might want to call some sponsors for there opinion. I have a 6 speed so I have no experience with cam choice vs stall speed. Best of luck and post up some pics of the tuck.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a cam would be great, but a stall would give you the extra boost you are looking for, it is amazing how much faster you will feel with a good stall....as far as a DD cam, i would reccomend a brutespeed blower cam, or a texas speed 228r and keep the lsa around 113-115. great power from those two cams, with great reliability. seriously. proof is in the pudding.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel you will have to retune it if you install a different cam.look at a Texas Speed products or a thunder racing cam pkg .I like comp 54-455-11 or EPS 222/226 for good low end power for a heavier truck.you can get a mail order tune from frost for a great price.