Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removing Calipers

Im wanting to paint my calipers this weekend, could someone please let me know how to remove them to make the painting process easier and any tips for painting/removinf would be great!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know about your car but my bleeders are frozen on the caliper which means if I remove I gotta get them out in order to re bleed the system. So an alternative was to buy some new calipers from places like NAPA. and paint those, then just swap.

Some send them out for powder coating, seemingly more durable, better adhesion.

On the other hand some just hang the caliper off the spindle, tape/mask area, clean, dry, prep, and paint on the car.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all you have to do is take 2 13mm bolts out from the back of the caliper and take one bolt that holds the brake hose onto the caliper. when i painted mine, i just left them on the car, cleaned them up and sprayed them with some good dupli-color caliper paint. i know it's recommended that you take them off to paint but mine came out perfect like this and you won't have to worry about bleeding your brakes afterwards or getting new crush washers for your brake hose. not that any of that is hard, but just one reason you might want to leave them on the car.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ My Point exactly.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So undo the bolts and let them dangle off of the car and then paint? Does the bracket come off too?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

you don't have to take the bracket off but if you wanted to paint it too, it's just two 15mm bolts that hold it onto the spindle.

and you might want to support the caliper with a zip tie or clothes hanger or something just so the weight of the caliper isn't stressing that hose too much.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dutinsss
all you have to do is take 2 13mm bolts out from the back of the caliper and take one bolt that holds the brake hose onto the caliper. when i painted mine, i just left them on the car, cleaned them up and sprayed them with some good dupli-color caliper paint. i know it's recommended that you take them off to paint but mine came out perfect like this and you won't have to worry about bleeding your brakes afterwards or getting new crush washers for your brake hose. not that any of that is hard, but just one reason you might want to leave them on the car.

I did mine this way also and it came out perfect. Just make sure that when you spray, you aren't over spraying everywhere. I used cardboard to make a wall and rags to protect what I didn't want painted.

I did the bracket also. Just 2 bolts holding it on.

Make sure to get some brake cleaner and a wire brush, scrub that stuff down, de-grease it and paint.

Quick Reply: Removing Calipers