New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO's are they selling????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004 | 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Is it just me or does that guy drive a friggin' buick ? How can you possibly get into an argument sayin' essentially that the Camaro is POS? I know the 20,000 members of this board would love to tell you different. I suppose my car is unrefined and bland in the style department?

Back to topic....no, the "GTO" isnt selling, flat out. Then again, give it some time, it might pick up. I am in the crowd of saying GM rushed it's release and should have done some more work on it. Change the name, change the body, and then it would have been complete. I think you can say FLOP....
Old 03-24-2004 | 12:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TriShield
Honestly, you can't really talk down on much of anything if you're a 4th gen. Camaro fan.
And why are you on LS1Tech again? Take a look around were all 4th gen fans, all of us are camaro fans in one form or faction. Talking trash in our forum about our cars is not condusive to anything. We don't care about Buicks, or GN's. If we did we might post something relevant on a Grand Nation site. Maybe thats where I would try looking for people that share the same biased, unrealistic, tasteless opinions such as yours.

Last edited by 98FormulaWS6; 03-24-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2004 | 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98FormulaWS6
And why are you on LS1Tech again? Take a look around were all 4th gen fans, all of us are camaro fans in one form or faction. Talking trash in our forum about our cars is not condusive to anything. We don't care about Buicks, or GN's. If we did we might post something relevant on a Grand Nation site. Maybe thats where I would try looking for people that share the same biased, unrealistic, tasteless opinions such as yours.
Well said bro
Old 03-24-2004 | 02:16 AM
TECH Regular

Weren't there only 10,000 GTOs being imported this year? I'm sure there will be more imported in the summer than late winter. This is no where near a high volume car. Hell there where brand new, never titled `02 F-bodies well into `03. (still some in `04 too)

As far as slow sales, would you buy one with a $5K markup and NO incentives (no 0 apr, 0 rebates, etc)? BTW the Pontiac dealer here has already sold the silver 6 speed before it got here and has only had the black A4 a few weeks. Slow is relative to area you live.

As stated over a million times: the GTO is NOT a F-body replacement. Has it ever occured to some people not everyone wants a batmobile? (how many `02 WS6s were there again?) The cars it's aimed against don't have huge scoops and body clading, why should it? Plus this is the first year, I'm sure there will be more agressive packaging in the future. It was rushed here to fill a void.

Yes, the regular 6 banger Camaro and Z28 are extremely bland also. Yes, they are get over it, and don't wip out pictures of your modded Z28 and try to argue. The SS was a big improvement in looks.

Quality and interior? The F-bodies are the biggest POS here, period. Sqeaks, creeks, rattles, crappy plastic everywhere, and **** poor design/engineering (hump, 10 bolt, etc). You payed $30K (SS and WS6) for that?

Yes, I had a SS and have several friends with F-bodies too, so I know what I'm talking about. I bought mine used (orginal owner took the $$ hit) and for the powertrain more than anything. I won't buy another one. My next car will be a used C5 or GTO. Yeah, I actually want some quality to go with the power in the next car I buy.
Old 03-24-2004 | 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RealDealCamSS
Classy enough for Porsche and BMW....... classy enough for me. And it's funny that you say that when the GTO interior IS painted in some places......
Please check your facts. I've checked my interior out - and there is no paint. Leather, molded plastic and 'aluminum' cloth covering - but no paint.

Oh, and I think it may take a while for GTO's to take off in sales - if they do at all. The car doesn't really fit any current class of vehicles. The LS1, the GTO name and the sound set it apart from what Pontiac says is it's competition - the BMW's and the Audi's; and the appearance, weight and interior set it apart from what most people think should be it's competition - the Ricestangs and late model f-bodies. I'm not sure if it will find a niche or not. If it doesn't, I'm damn glad I bought mine while it was available.
Dan

Edit - added appearance, part of my original thought process but didn't make the page.

Last edited by DANSLS1GTO; 03-24-2004 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2004 | 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Just bought the wife a montana, the dealer had 4 gto's and they are not going, when they first came in he sold them for 5000 over sticker now he says he can't sell them for sticker. Was looking around the sticker was 33 for the gto and 34 for a grand pre whats up with that a nice 8 or shitty 6 ?
Old 03-24-2004 | 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
Please check your facts. I've checked my interior out - and there is no paint. Leather, molded plastic and 'aluminum' cloth covering - but no paint.
So you're saying that there is absolutely no silver plastic in this picture:

Old 03-24-2004 | 07:15 AM
Administrator

I'm not the one in a 2002 bloated Catfish on wheels.

My 1987 box, unlike your 2002 archaic turd was a decade or better ahead of it's time, doesn't have an interior festooned with shiny, chintzy plastic (real metal steering wheel, switches, door handles, and trim, soft touch surfaces), a six speaker sound system, a real back seat and trunk, and no glaring examples of shoddy engineering like that lovely hump in the passenger side floor of the F-bodies, or poor workmanship like those front fenders that often don't mate with the side mirrors they're styled to flow into. The last F-bodies drive like they were still engineered in the 1960s.

Honestly, you can't really talk down on much of anything if you're a 4th gen. Camaro fan.

You drive a POS. Zip it.
Old 03-24-2004 | 07:28 AM
On The Tree

I'm just enjoying myself fighting fire with fire.
If I recall, YOU were the one who randomly started bashing Camaros on a GTO thread. The only person who brought fire was you.

And apparently Nighthawk is even more clueless than you, since you're talking about his interior, too.

It's one thing to not like a car and explain why you don't like it, but it's something entirely different to start mindlessly bashing it on it's home site... and not even on a Camaro thread.

If you'd like to talk about how much you hate Camaros, start your own "Camaros suck" thread flagging all Camaro owners. I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome.

As another has said, you drive a friggin' Buick - so you have no room to talk.
Old 03-24-2004 | 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RealDealCamSS
So you're saying that there is absolutely no silver plastic in this picture:

No, I'm saying the silver plastic is molded silver, not painted.
Dan
Old 03-24-2004 | 08:08 AM
Launching!

"bloated catfish on wheels"
Old 03-24-2004 | 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
No, I'm saying the silver plastic is molded silver, not painted.
Dan
And it's clear that whether it's painted or just silver plastic is NOT the point...
Old 03-24-2004 | 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am pleased with the interior of my Z. It is comfortable and durable. 6 years old and all original, with no failures of any part. I also have no interior rattles. People ride in it all the time and comment "this car rides like it is new".

Quality ratings on the Camaro are among the highest for any car made, look them up.

The GTO sales are unlikely to pick up. While the first deliveries were bought before even arriving at the dealership, that was a small niche of buyers that fell for the "GTO" name and paid bloated prices.

Now you are seeing the GTO rot on the lot because the suckers already have theirs, and no one else wants one. Who wants to pay 30k + for a beefed up sunfire? The car is bland and unoriginal, and does not stand out on the roadways, unlike the ever lasting classic design that is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Camaros.
Old 03-24-2004 | 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Default ok I've had enough

ok I think I've had enough of this Camaro bashing. Let me set all you GTO boys straight.

1. The new GTO is clearly a greedy corporate attempt to try and sell cars to nostalgic muscle car fans. It's insulting, uninspired, import body style can not be excused just because they dropped in an LS1 engine. Most of you who bought them know deep down you only did so because you wanted to buy American, couldn't afford a Vette, they don't make F-Bodies anymore, so you fell into the hype and settled on the "Sunfire LS1."

2. It is true the Camaro stock styling is a little conservative and the interior does leave something to be desired. But for what this car is - a modern musclecar - nothing can touch it at that price. If you're looking for a cushy interior and want to look like everyone else on the road (no apperance mods) then buy a BMW. The Camaro is a near perfect clean slate for mods - with only a few adjustments it becomes one of the most aggressive looking cars on the road, bar none. Judging from the pics of modified Sunfires (see RKSport catalog) there is nothing that will make the GTO look any better.

3. As for being on a site that is mostly 4th gen F-body fans and saying they are crap - I think you should find a new forum to post your mindless ramblings. You are lucky a technicality allows you to post here. I took the liberty of finding another forum for you:

www.isettledforaGTO.com

There's plenty of dejected folks there that fell into the same trap you did to share your pain. The first step is to get out of denial and move to acceptance! Best of Luck....
Old 03-24-2004 | 09:32 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Appearance is completely up to YOUR opinion. Some people like the
new GTO, some don't. Some people like the camaro, some don't.
Some people like the trans am, some don't.

What they ALL HAVE IN COMMON is the LS1 engine. This is LS1tech,
not FBODYtech. Why are all you people ragging on the GTO so much,
just because you don't like the looks? Grow up a little bit, please.
Old 03-24-2004 | 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Arrow

Driving past several dealerships daily here in downtown Houston, I've seen more than a few GTOs just sitting around. They are nice cars, but don't grab your attention visually. It looks much better than a Sunfire, so anyone saying its an LS1 Sunfire obviously has not seen one in person. If anything, it is closer to a Gran Prix.

As for the Buick owner ragging on 4th gen F-body styling, BWAHAHAHA! Turbo Buicks were only cool for their potential back when times sucked for performance cars. Honestly, the majority of the population that still drives those body style cars (Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Buick Regal, etc...) prefer 13" wire wheels and hydraulic suspension setups. I can appreciate a Turbo Buick for what it is, but its styling is far more bland than any f-body. "Grandpa car" comes to mind.

Tony