Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 proformance help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 proformance help

I just bought my first ls1 and am wanting to get more power out of it, the car is a 98 z28 with hooker long tube headers, Texas speed x pipe, slp lid, yank ss 3600 stall on built tranny, 342 gears, 160 thermostat walboro 255 fuel pump and its been tuned.
I have a little extra cash but am wanting to get the most power for the money I can spend. so my questions are what will give me the most bang for my buck? witch cams choice would be good? ported stock throttle body vs 85mm?
ls6 intake? ported heads? or what combination of those things.

also will the stall converter make my dyno numbers less accurate?

ive herd of people blocking off the coolent lines to the throttle body. what advantages does this give?

any other ideas for cheep/ easy power?

thanks for any help ahead of time!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much money do you have to spend ? Ls6 intake and cam would get my vote.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
How much money do you have to spend ? Ls6 intake and cam would get my vote.
i have a guy thats got one for sale for 300. is that a good price? and i have proly 500$ or so. if its gains are worth i could come up with some more.

also then what cam would i get?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

$300 is a good price for a ls6 intake. As far as a cam, talk to some sponsors or some of the auto guys to fine one that will work well with your stall.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Will any of the upgrades I talked about earlier recquire bigger injectors? Or will my stock ones work? If it is a good price I may go pick it up soon. Will I need to buy anything else to make it work or is it a direct swap for my ls1 intake? He said its ported to run a 85mm throttle body. Will I see any gains if I use my stock one?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Would I be better off with a cam and eather ls6 heads or ported ls1 heads? Or a cam and that ls6 Intake? I read somewhere that the intake is only good for 15 hp or so. And I think I could get more then that out of swapping heads. But what's better? Ported ls1 heads or stock ls6 heads?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you do a cam swap its smart to replace the valve springs, pushrods and timing chain, with that being said you are going to spend more then $500. I bought everything used and spent about $700 and I installed everything myself so there was no labor cost and plus your going to need a tune after the cam install. Also heads are going to cost you more then $500, your best bet would be to pick up a ls6 intake or save a little more for a cam swap and a tune.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do a P&P TB,LS-6 Intake and a Underdrive Pully which will run inbetween $500-$600 somewhere !!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by atrain59
when you do a cam swap its smart to replace the valve springs, pushrods and timing chain, with that being said you are going to spend more then $500. I bought everything used and spent about $700 and I installed everything myself so there was no labor cost and plus your going to need a tune after the cam install. Also heads are going to cost you more then $500, your best bet would be to pick up a ls6 intake or save a little more for a cam swap and a tune.
I have a set of corvette springs and push rods already. they have about 30k on them so that will help with cost and i can get a set of ls6 heads for 380$. a little more then the intake but not by much. and its already been tuned here in st.louis at a place called proformance by joe. so im hoping that since he already tuned the car once it would be cheeper to have him re tune it for the new cam and heads.

if i went with the ls6 intake would i need a tune to see the added hp? and would i need a bigger then stock throttle body to get the added hp?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
I would do a P&P TB,LS-6 Intake and a Underdrive Pully which will run inbetween $500-$600 somewhere !!
what is this underdrive pully?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by musclecarsrock68
what is this underdrive pully?
25% Crank Pully/Balancer which is smaller so it spins faster to free up HP you usually get like 8 hp to the tire w/ one and they cost like $190 w/ a new crank bolt !No you dont need to tune a LS-6 Intake or P&P TB !
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The bigger throttle body will definitely help if the intake is 85 mm. The stock tb (78 mm I think) will be more restrictive. More air is better.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
25% Crank Pully/Balancer which is smaller so it spins faster to free up HP you usually get like 8 hp to the tire w/ one and they cost like $190 w/ a new crank bolt !No you dont need to tune a LS-6 Intake or P&P TB !
Ok so what's the p&p throttle body?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what cam is in the car currently ?your stock injectors will be good enough unless you get ported heads.a ported TB has the entry smoothed out,no ridges.if you get a ls6 intake ,carefully remove some of the ribs on the bottom of the intake .this allows use of the stock ls1 coolant lines.measure the TB opening be fore you buy a TB.a ls6 uses a 3 bolt TB.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garygnu
what cam is in the car currently ?your stock injectors will be good enough unless you get ported heads.a ported TB has the entry smoothed out,no ridges.if you get a ls6 intake ,carefully remove some of the ribs on the bottom of the intake .this allows use of the stock ls1 coolant lines.measure the TB opening be fore you buy a TB.a ls6 uses a 3 bolt TB.
It is the stock cam. So I'm thinking an under drive pulley ls6 intake and a eather ported tb or an 85mm. I've herd a ported stocker is practically as good as the 85mm. Any opinions on that? If its close I'll just save the money and buy a ported stocker
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

It is the stock cam. So I'm thinking an under drive pulley ls6 intake and a eather ported tb or an 85mm. I've herd a ported stocker is practically as good as the 85mm. Any opinions on that? If its close I'll just save the money and buy a ported stocker
I was told the underdrive pulpy is a bad Idea. Somthing about the Stock one has a rubber section to reduce vibrations on your crank and the aftermarket one does not so the vibrations are bad for bearings. Any thoughts on if this is true or not?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Default same thing

I was told the underdrive pulpy is a bad Idea. Somthing about the Stock one has a rubber section to reduce vibrations on your crank and the aftermarket one does not so the vibrations are bad for bearings. Any thoughts on if this is true or not?
i heard the same thing, but u have to spend like 400 bucks if you wanted a underdrive harmonic balancer. Listen if you can find a ls6 intake and its in good shape buy it, ask if the throttle body is included. (most likley not) they can handle up over 500hp.I have a 92mm fast intake ported with a nick williams 90mm tb and produced 15hp give or take with out a tune, with a tune in the mid 20hp range. Also the a simple flow solution if you dont have a aftermarket air lid is to take your stock one with plyers and break off the damn luvers on the inside of the air lid and have a round sander for a drill and smooth it down good for 5 to 7hp. not bad for a freebe
Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
The bigger throttle body will definitely help if the intake is 85 mm. The stock tb (78 mm I think) will be more restrictive. More air is better.
but proper fuel trims are what make this work

Quick Reply: ls1 proformance help