Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon Corvette/GTO ls1 owner!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Soon Corvette/GTO ls1 owner!!!!

Hey guys,

I'm very new to the forum and GM vehicles as well. I was raised in a Ford home and my first fun car was a 1995 Mustang GT H/C/I procharged and it was fast and fun until I blew the motor up at 180,000 miles with the mods being on for 80,000 miles. The car was decently quick but cobra's and ws6 trans am's typically walked me. However, I drove my mustang daily and it was pretty damn reliable for the turd it was.

So here's what I'm trying to get to. I wanted a cobra but every one of my friends and their neighbor bought one and they've worn on me. So I noticed I could get an LS1 FRC corvette or GTO for about the same price, this made me very happy!!!!

Now heres the thing, if I get a vette I'll be fine with just like exhaust and intake, however a GTO I'd prefer cams, heads, and possibly a supercharger.

Here's the real question:

-In reliability terms how does a H/C/I Corvette compare to H/C/I GTO?

-Is a corvette worth spending the extra money?

-How is reliability affected on a procharged or magnacharged GTO?

-What are some common problems for both cars?

Thank you guys for all of your help!!! I know most on here are camaro and trans am owners but I figured you all have LS1's so all of your help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a ls1 camaro or trans am...lighter than the GTO and parts are very cheap compared to the vette. Only downfall is the fbody cheaper interior. But I love my ws6
Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For reliability period, hard to beat stock setup with a nice turbo or supercharger and intercooler.

Vettes are light, and ls1 parts are cheap and easy to find, but you pay the 'vette tax' on everything else. C5 vettes do have some electrical gremlins with age.

Ls1 camaro or ls6 is more budget friendly, but that didn't stop me from making my choice.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Sorry no trans ams or camaro's for me. Not my style. Nice cars, but I just can't take those interiors.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I have owned a couple vettes. A C3 and a C4. still own the C3. Not comparing them to a C5 but the one thing i didnt like about them was that there was not much room to carry anything like bags and such. so i would think about that too..unless this will be just a toy car and u dont care. ANYTHING can be made fast and reliable if u use the right parts and have a good tune.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

GTOs are nice. if you want the kind of power i think you do youll need to improve rear suspensions on them.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my story. I wanted to buy a new Corvette in 2004, but did not due to the cost. I have a 2006 GTO and owned a 2004 GTO. I test drove a 2004 Corvette Z06 after modifying my 2006 GTO. The difference is very noticeable. I built my GTO to handle any Z06 and it will, without question. The GTO handles better, accelerates with aggression, seats four, and is uncommon on the road. The GTO turned a 12.3/120mph with eleven bent valves. Oh, and the gas mileage is the same.

Spend your money wisely and you'll have fun!

Quick Reply: Soon Corvette/GTO ls1 owner!!!!