Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed Headers on a 2002 z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastianroher
Well, my next question is where is the PCM and how do you remove it? I couldn't find a sticky with that info... Help anyone?
If you go to the website from the link (someone else posted earlier) it shows you exactly how to do it.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you change you motor mount in the process...it's a must do when changing your headers. I'm in the process now and it's a pain the *** with the headers on.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've ordered the 1 7/8 headers they are just sitting around here, going to install them by 5/1/2012 mm/dd/yy along with monster stage 3.

will let you know what happens with me.
02 Ws6 M6
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

@AmDWs6 can you pm me some pics when you do the install? How hard is it to change out the motor mount? Change it with poly bushings? Does it really make a lot of difference?

The car is back home in VA I'll hopefully be there soon Can those stainless steel texas speed headers be welded up to the stainless ory pipe? I heard that stainless can't be welded, is that true?
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stainless can be welded.

If you got the "offroad y" make sure to get your rear 02's deleted in the tune also.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

I know there is an o2 sensor in each header, but there's another one in the stock y pipe? sorry I haven't been even able to look at my car, still in FL with the Navy
Old 04-28-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know there is an o2 sensor in each header, but there's another one in the stock y pipe? sorry I haven't been even able to look at my car, still in FL with the Navy

Yes, you have a front set and rear set for before/after the cats. If you go with an offroad x-pipe, you will need to delete the rear 02's with the tune or you will have the dreaded "Check Engine" light on.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

what if I just welded the headers up to the stock y? would you recommend that or just get the ory from texas speed and tune out the rear o2s?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock Y is complete garbage and will not fit the LT's without extensive modifications.

You have 2 options.
1) get a TSP offroad y, delete the cats and tune the rear 02's out.
2) get a catted y, retain cats and then you may still have to tune out the rear 02's (some people still report getting codes thrown, some don't).

FYI-you don't have to get a tune immed. as the codes thrown will not affect performance. You will just have the annoying idiot light on.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

so the o2s throwing the code won't affect my mileage? lol I'm on a budget, I can only get one mod at a time and I guess I'm gonna get my headers and ory and get them welded and then get the rear o2s deleted and a tune how much hp do you think I'll be pushing to the wheels with only the exhaust mods and an slp lid and k&n filter + tune and plugs?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so the o2s throwing the code won't affect my mileage? lol I'm on a budget, I can only get one mod at a time and I guess I'm gonna get my headers and ory and get them welded and then get the rear o2s deleted and a tune how much hp do you think I'll be pushing to the wheels with only the exhaust mods and an slp lid and k&n filter + tune and plugs?
Your front 02's (the ones you will be using) monitor your air/fuel ratio, rear 02's only monitor the cats for efficiency.

Mileage will be affected slightly as the car will run a bit rich and you will want to hear the new sounds coming from your car...haha

LT Headers are usually (give or take) good for 15rwhp or so. You will not be disappointed. Headers will be optimized by a tune though.

What catback do you have?

To be honest rwhp ratings have so many variables involved that I wouldn't want to get started on a guessing game. Don't worry about the numbers as much as feeling the gains you do make and enjoying the car.

I do highly recommend that you research and educate yourself before getting into big mods without knowing what your realistic goal is going to be in the long run. Too many people (myself included) end up buying parts to only have to upgrade again later.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Use clamps don't weld you headers to the y pipe
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what if I just welded the headers up to the stock y? would you recommend that or just get the ory from texas speed and tune out the rear o2s?
This will absolutely not work, you need an aftermarket Y-pipe in order to fit headers. Easiest way to do it would be to just bolt the O/R Y up to the headers, then tune out the rear 02's because at that point you would be pretty much done with the process all together.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

why wouldn't you weld it?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Well if you weld it for one you cant take it back off with out hacking it off. Second when they weld it it actually makes both ends that get welded smaller thus adding a small restiction in your exhaust.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Have Vbands welded onto the headers if you want a clean and easily removable option.

I just installed my 1 7/8" TSPs last week, and I couldn't be any happier. Very easy to install. I think the motor mounts were the hardest part lol.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

what do you mean by vbands can you post a link of where I can buy them? and is there a sticky on here of how to change out that motor mount? and lastly, is there a sticky on here of how to weld up the subframe connectors?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

what do you mean by vbands can you post a link of where I can buy them? and is there a sticky on here of how to change out that motor mount? and lastly, is there a sticky on here of how to weld up the subframe connectors?

Just do a quick search on VBands. They will come up. If your buying a Ypipe tho I wouldn't worry about it tho. I had a custom ypipe made so it made sense to add VBands.

Not sure if there is a sticky on doing motor mounts. Once you have the exhaust out of the car they are pretty straightforward on how to replace them.

Subframe connectors have a shop weld in for you.

Quick Reply: Texas Speed Headers on a 2002 z28