Sponsored by:

How to make it fit??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to make it fit??

Guys,

I just received my fancy straight upper rad hose to replace the stock ps cooler hose. From where I'm from I had a heck of a time getting my hands on one.. Dealer and about 3 parts stores said they can't get it. Anyway, I found a store that ordered it cross country.

It's a Dayco product P/N 71981. However, I had some concerns with the size of the hose. I put it beside the stock one that's on the car now just to compare size and it appears the Dayco is marginally smaller in diameter. Could this be because it's brand new rubber and hasn't had 13 years to expand haha? It looks like when I install, its going to be a very tight fit. Is there any techniques that can make my life easier when trying to install this hose - stretching or making the rubber more forgiving? Also can I safely put something around the insides of the rad hose to help slide them on the water pump and the rad? I'm just anxious to get that ps heater off the car and want to try and limit any problems during the install.

Thanks guys
Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,284 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I am not familiar with the Dayco hose that you have, but if it doesn't fit, this same hose it also available in the Gates brand. Gates part number is 22352 (no PS cooler). I've had good experiences with Gates products, so that's probably what I would use at this point. You could probably find an online retailer for this item, if you're not happy with the one you have and can't find a local store that sells it.

I checked the original part number from GM for this hose via GMPD, and it's not showing active, so it appears that GM may have dropped the product.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can put dish soap on the inside of the hose and the fitting and mabey heat the hose with a torch not alot just enough so it will get a little warm and be more flexable. This is how I do boat exhausts when their tight and the soap dosent do anything to the hose