Sponsored by:

LS swap vs. Emissions Laws...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS swap vs. Emissions Laws...

Hi,
I'm brand new here and have a question regarding 2001-2003 LS equipped vehicles and their emissions equipment.

I live in Las Vegas, NV and am in research-mode trying to decide on what combo to swap into my 2001 Isuzu VehiCross. I'm primarily interested in LS1, LS2 and LQ4/9.

The NV emissions laws regarding engine swaps state that you must retain, and have active, all emission control devices that came with the donor vehicle from the manufacturer... including anything connecting to the transmission, or even the fuel tank.

So, my question is... ARE there any devices attached to the transmission or fuel tank on LS vehicles?

Also, do the stand alone wiring kits allow the use of all emission devices?

Thank you!
---JIM---
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The EVAP system connects to the fuel tank, and includes a canister (with filter media), a vent valve, a purge valve, and associated wiring and vapor lines. This is most certainly an emissions control device, by any definition.

As for the transmission, manual cars are equipped with CAGS (computer aided gear selection, or more commonly known as skip shift) and auto cars have a TCC (torque converter clutch, or "lock up" torque converter). Neither of these are what would normally be considered emissions control devices, but they do effect MPG. Not sure where stuff like that would fall within your inspection laws.

I'm not sure what is or is not included in the wiring harness kits, as I have never done a conversion. You may want to research that in the conversions section of this site.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info.
Unfortunately it puts a huge challenge into the project that I was really hoping to avoid.

I'll have to see if whatever donor vehicle's gas tank will retro fit into mine.

Thank you!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your inspection Visual + Roller or Just a ODBII scan?

Quick Reply: LS swap vs. Emissions Laws...