Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to clean intake runners and valves

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean intake runners and valves

So I found some oil in my intake manifold. I cleaned all that out but the intake runners where nasty and so where the valves. I was thinking maybe using seafoam but I heard that won't get all the cylinders so I was also thinking I could take the manifold back off and use brake clean to clean it up then change the oil shortly after. But if anyone has any other suggestions on the best way to clean it I'm all ears. Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you mean the intake runner in the head or still in the intake manifold. Basically brake clean and a good clean rag would work to get misc containimates in the cyl head and soak up what does not evaporate.

Unless there is some nasty carbon or sludge I would not be going that over board. IF you so worried, pull the heads, have them disassembled, cleans and re assembled with new springs, I mean if your looking to get crazy.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

To clean thoroughly you would have to remove the manifold and use a non-corrosive solvent to remove everything. The next best thing is seafoam or perhaps some carb and choke cleaner. However I'm not confident seafoam or the spray cleaner will make all that much of a difference. The only way to clean the intake runner of cylinder heads is to remove them and have them cleaned in a hot tank or sonic cleaner.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try gas and a tooth brush ,and use a shot vac to remove the solvent.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe before you do all this you should think about a catch can or ls6 pcv system I believe so it isn't fed back into your intake otherwise waste of time
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've fixed the oil in the manifold problem and the carbon looks like its from oil burning in there I'm going to try some brake clean on there and yea taking the heads off would def be the best way but when I take the heads off I'll be replacing them with trick flow lol
Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of people using mopar top end cleaner and it being really good, you spray it in the intake and it expands as foam..
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
I've heard of people using mopar top end cleaner and it being really good, you spray it in the intake and it expands as foam..
What he said... I've done some before and after on a few engines and results were best with the above mentioned Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean intake runners and valves