New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

275s in the rear??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They were not limited at a certain HP, it was 108 mph because that's all the tires were speed rated to.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Well i read up on how they work and yea they may work a little and but i highly doubt they are more functional than the 97 ss was considering the air box and filter were directly underneath the scoop. But on the cars with v6 tires they still werent limited low. I had mine up to 150 and is was all factory with 235s from the factory so the 108 limiter i have to ssay is still completely untrue
Doubt all you want, my ws6, with a lid feeds air in almost a straight line into the tb, having to slightly change directions 1 time as it goes through the filter, not to mention people that change the setup slightly with a fipk or the slp ram air kit.

The ss has a lightly less desireable ram air setup but works in the same way.

Originally Posted by bww3588
They were not limited at a certain HP, it was 108 mph because that's all the tires were speed rated to.
My iphone sucks it was supposed to say mph..
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok talking about the ss here it goes into the hood at the vent at the middle of the hood then flows in the opposite direction back towards the front of the car then changes direction again to go into the air box and not all of it is even for sure gonna moke it into the lid and go into the tb and youre gonna tell me thats more efficient than a setup where the filter and air box is directly behind the vent all the air goes straight into the box and is routed to the tb? Like i said doubt it. I agree the trans am has a good ram air setup and is actually functional especially withh a raptor or superhawk hood on it

And considering that the slp cai brings air in from under the car not the top
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a thread somewhere on here that someone posted of tgem
Doing a sealed box, plus a pretty ingenious free ram air mod, that arguably wasnt free more fabbed.

The air that goes into an ss hood HAS to go somewhere it doesnt just dissapear, and if you take the time to seal your lid, it has an almost FI charcteristic to it. Given your only good for a few hp, but there is a reason all the lt1 guys convert to ls1 style lids...

Also theres another kit, "looking for link" of a box that helps to further. Channel the factory ram air into the lid..

On the 97 it might as well be the old school breather on top of a carb
Intake like on old school motors. While its true it could have been a better design, its really more gimmick on any ram air unless your running some custom fi system that utilizes the holes in our hoods..
Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Ok talking about the ss here it goes into the hood at the vent at the middle of the hood then flows in the opposite direction back towards the front of the car then changes direction again to go into the air box and not all of it is even for sure gonna moke it into the lid and go into the tb and youre gonna tell me thats more efficient than a setup where the filter and air box is directly behind the vent all the air goes straight into the box and is routed to the tb? Like i said doubt it. I agree the trans am has a good ram air setup and is actually functional especially withh a raptor or superhawk hood on it
Neither 98-02 WS6's or SS's have actual functional "ram air", the airboxes are not even sealed, the LT1 WS6's/SS's however have functional ram air since the airboxes are sealed to the hood.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Neither 98-02 WS6's or SS's have actual functional "ram air", the airboxes are not even sealed, the LT1 WS6's/SS's however have functional ram air since the airboxes are sealed to the hood.
I have to disagree sir. Besides a little duct tape will "seal" your lid....
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But it doesnt seal to the hood like the 97 model did. It was a filter without a lid the sealed directly to the hood where the vent was and even in the numbers the 97 ss made 305hp while a 97 z28 made 275 you dont see that much of a gain between a 98 ss and a 98 z28
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those were factory ratings?? I thought they were rated at 285hp starting since 96 when they went to a dual cat for obd II. Which since your wrong on base z28 hp numbers probably on ss model as well. But saying you got the ss hp right, thats a diff of 20 hp rating vs the 15 hp rating on the 98+, but the ss's and z28's still dyno the same.

I mean, I see the possible advantage, but I still feel the 98+ is a tad better, especially on the ws6's which only has a rain deflector for restriction whoch a lot remove.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they were factory ratings i looked up the 97 ss and the 97z28 factory specs but i couldve told you the 97 ss has 305 factory because my grandpa has one sitting in his garage that he bought straight off the show room floor in 97 and the car is all original with less the 3,000 miles on it and the window sticker says 305 but i do agree the ws6 setup is great i cant knock that but when it comes to the ss i feel 97 had the bbetter setup sealing the box to the hood i mean im not putting any of em down i have a 2000 z28 and my gramps has a 97 and 2012 and theyre all badass but ive always wished the 98-02 ss had a true ram air setup like 97 did
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Factory hp rating on 96/97 z28's was 285hp fwiw... Not 275
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that was a typo i thought i had put 285
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

We hijacked the f*ck out of this thread.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thats what i was just thinking about lol
Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

come on guys. that ram air didnt do ****!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok i gotta know how does ram air do nothing
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

measure vacuum at 100 mph at WOT and if you have boost, i will believe it does something. but if that gauge is at around 100 kPa then there lies your proof.
The engine is gonna suck air stronger than that hood/intake/lid is gonna try to push air.
line up an ss vs z28 or formula vs a WS6 and no car will have a specific advantage in the 1/4. obviously on the dyno airflow would be fairly equal either way so i wont argue that point.

I give you this, at 200mph that ws6 ram air might be worth a few HP. cant say for sure.
But from 0 to 162 where these cars are supposedly limited, that ram air aint gonna do ****. If it was everybody would have it on every car.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

Holy hijack...

Just to bring the thread back some, the cars limited to 108 are few and far inbetween. There weren't that many for obvious reasons, but they are (were) out there.

Just remember how easy it is to raise the speed limiter. Just because some people haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's the same principal as the CAGS. How many 6 speed cars do you see with it still enabled? Not very many and every 6 speed car had it factory.

I'd imagine the ls1 cars that did have the lower speed limiter have had them raised or removed totally.

Besides, the only 2 I have seen and driven were automatics, with the steel 2 piece driveshaft, v6 sized tires and 2.73's.

Not trying to start a war, just saying because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've never seen a 98+ trans am without t tops, but there were 3 made.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Neither 98-02 WS6's or SS's have actual functional "ram air", the airboxes are not even sealed
This is the correct answer. True ram air requires a sealed setup. Yes, you can seal the stock setup, but that's not how it came from the factory on the '98+ cars. Therefore in stock form, they don't have actual "ram air".

Originally Posted by spy2520
line up an ss vs z28 or formula vs a WS6 and no car will have a specific advantage in the 1/4. obviously on the dyno airflow would be fairly equal either way so i wont argue that point.

I give you this, at 200mph that ws6 ram air might be worth a few HP. cant say for sure.
But from 0 to 162 where these cars are supposedly limited, that ram air aint gonna do ****.
Agreed. In the 1/4 mile and/or at street speeds, the factory "ram air" setups in factory configuration is a gimick at best.

Originally Posted by bww3588
Holy hijack...

Just to bring the thread back some, the cars limited to 108 are few and far inbetween. There weren't that many for obvious reasons, but they are (were) out there.

Just remember how easy it is to raise the speed limiter. Just because some people haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's the same principal as the CAGS. How many 6 speed cars do you see with it still enabled? Not very many and every 6 speed car had it factory.

I'd imagine the ls1 cars that did have the lower speed limiter have had them raised or removed totally.

Besides, the only 2 I have seen and driven were automatics, with the steel 2 piece driveshaft, v6 sized tires and 2.73's.

Not trying to start a war, just saying because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Yes, there were in fact V8s with lower speed limiters. This had nothing to do with gear nor driveshaft options though; it was entirely based on which tires the car came with.

FYI. I've had two 2.73/steel shaft cars that were both optioned with the Z-rated tires and had 162-163mph limiters stock.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is the correct answer. True ram air requires a sealed setup. Yes, you can seal the stock setup, but that's not how it came from the factory on the '98+ cars. Therefore in stock form, they don't have actual "ram air".

Agreed. In the 1/4 mile and/or at street speeds, the factory "ram air" setups in factory configuration is a gimick at best.

Yes, there were in fact V8s with lower speed limiters. This had nothing to do with gear nor driveshaft options though; it was entirely based on which tires the car came with.

FYI. I've had two 2.73/steel shaft cars that were both optioned with the Z-rated tires and had 162-163mph limiters stock.
Yup all true! Only way a 98-02 ram air setup may help is by assisting in drawing in some cooler outside air at speed, but not enough to really "ram" any air. Maybe sealed but better off with a ftra or similar.

Its also true that speed limiters are subject to factory tire ratings. Guess they didn't just make you a mod because of your cool name lol .

Pretty standard info but I remember asking about, and challenging these things myself.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 AM
12 Second Club

Most definitely. I was just stating the ones I have seen/driven were bare bones, highway geared cars...just saying they are few and far in between.

It's a simple safety issue. The tires were not rated to run the same speeds as the z rated tires, hence the lower limiter.

I think it has been beaten to death and proven many times that the ram air options from the factory are more for looks than anything. You can clearly see in the design, gm designed it for looks, then made it "functional"

Quick Reply: 275s in the rear??