Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stall questions

i may be buying a 98z28 soon and i was wondering about stall converters. it is an a4 and i would like to run a stall somewhere between 3-4k. i heard that if you get over 3200 you have to reprogram the computer or it will think the tranny is slipping. is this true? is so, how do you do that ?(ls1 edit? hypertech?)
Old 03-30-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not true.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some LT1's had this issue. LS1's don't.

A lot of guys delete torque managment, especially on `00+, and play with their shift points/firmness but none of this is required per say.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

i read in car-craft where that is not a smart thing to change in the computer
Old 03-30-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you talking about torque managment, it shouldn't be a big issue on a `98. I think the added stress of launching off a converter would hurt the tranny more than not having the PCM reduce power during the shift anyway.

On a side note: the "car rags" also say a cutout reduces power, lids are differenet, SS or WS6 is faster than a Z28 or T/A, converter doesn't help a stock car a lot, a 3500 converter is unstreetable, M6's are faster than A4's, HPP3 actually gives hp, etc.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kurt D
If you talking about torque managment, it shouldn't be a big issue on a `98. I think the added stress of launching off a converter would hurt the tranny more than not having the PCM reduce power during the shift anyway.

On a side note: the "car rags" also say a cutout reduces power, lids are differenet, SS or WS6 is faster than a Z28 or T/A, converter doesn't help a stock car a lot, a 3500 converter is unstreetable, M6's are faster than A4's, HPP3 actually gives hp, etc.
Well I just got a 4400 converter installed and I would by no means say it is unstreetable. I did install a shift kit and did some tuning as well. It slips a bit when you first start out, but after that it pulls like mad. For an automatic, I cant think of a mod that has made a bigger difference than the stall. Of course you will need better tires... something like nittos...I would not put a high stall in a car without tuning it. Surging at lights and idle could be an issue. PM me and I can give you the name of a great tuner.