Sponsored by:

will 317 heads work on my ls1

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
^Amazes me how someone else finally understands
It hasn't been a secret to me for a while.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently to everyone else it has been. It amazes me that engine dyno tests have been done on little 224 cam only LS1s on the engine dyno where the FAST picked up almost 20/20 over an LS6 and people still think anything under 450rwhp wont see gains
Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No secret. I see dynos from bolt on cars swap from a ls6 to fast setup and gain... BUT when u have a mild-high lift cam the volume and big runners from the FAST help that cam work to full potential.. squeeze out every pony lol
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Hardened pushrods are from the days of engines with guideplates...which these engines don't have.
Really I guess everyone that modifies LS and LT engines is wrong.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I thought I read that wrong.....

Sometimes I think I'm getting stupider and stupider. Then I think about it..... LOL
Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently built a LS1 that made 448 rwhp naturally aspirated. 243 heads with oversized valves and ported by Elliot portworks, 227/231 .614/.617 112lsa. Stock LS6 intake, stock LS1 injectors, single 3" exhaust, long tubes, no cats.

Mentioning the particular specs because your goal is 450.... This setup is choppy as hell and a little extreme for a daily drive in my opinion.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

loved my 228r. took me to low 7's with stock 241's. great cam all around. just remember to always try your best to build for what you may be doing in the future. if you ever plan on going with boost, why not get a boost cam. etc etc.....
Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faught
Still with a bigger cam it is cheep insurance to go ahead and have hardened pushrods, I have seen small cams bend factory pushrods with a tune in about 3K miles.
Oh I'm not disagreeing that higher quality pushrods over OEM are worth it, especially when you also need a different length, or you want them to be lighter...but hardened has nothing to do with their resistance to bending, hardening on pushrods is a surface level heat treatment to the metal to keep it from galling/wearing on a guide plate. Gen 3 and 4 engines will never need guide plates due to the rocker base design, so hardening is not necessary. Using a better material that's just stronger and making them better in the first place certainly does have it's benefits.

Well, actually, LT engines DO use guide plates (not from the factory though)...at least the aluminum head versions do, they have screw in rocker studs...you can get away with self aligning rockers on an LT1/LT4 if you keep the cam lift mild, but when you go big, you need to go to guide plates and non-self aligning rocker arms...and when you do that, yes you absolutely must also run hardened pushrods. Can't do that on an iron head LT1/L99 without pulling out the pressed in rocker studs first, then machining the rocker bases down lower, then drilling/tapping the holes for screw in studs...and at that point, you should really just invest the work/time in aluminum LT1 or LT4 castings anyways. Some Gen 1 SBC heads (iron ones) also have a guide plate of sorts built in to the head itself too...the pushrod holes are just wide enough to allow the pushrod through with support to align the rocker, and in that case, I believe those engines came right from the general with hardened pushrods.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Oh I'm not disagreeing that higher quality pushrods over OEM are worth it, especially when you also need a different length, or you want them to be lighter...but hardened has nothing to do with their resistance to bending, hardening on pushrods is a surface level heat treatment to the metal to keep it from galling/wearing on a guide plate. Gen 3 and 4 engines will never need guide plates due to the rocker base design, so hardening is not necessary. Using a better material that's just stronger and making them better in the first place certainly does have it's benefits.

Well, actually, LT engines DO use guide plates (not from the factory though)...at least the aluminum head versions do, they have screw in rocker studs...you can get away with self aligning rockers on an LT1/LT4 if you keep the cam lift mild, but when you go big, you need to go to guide plates and non-self aligning rocker arms...and when you do that, yes you absolutely must also run hardened pushrods. Can't do that on an iron head LT1/L99 without pulling out the pressed in rocker studs first, then machining the rocker bases down lower, then drilling/tapping the holes for screw in studs...and at that point, you should really just invest the work/time in aluminum LT1 or LT4 castings anyways. Some Gen 1 SBC heads (iron ones) also have a guide plate of sorts built in to the head itself too...the pushrod holes are just wide enough to allow the pushrod through with support to align the rocker, and in that case, I believe those engines came right from the general with hardened pushrods.
Really. I ran a .595 lift cam on Self Aligning rockers and never had a problem. And stock LT1 or LT4 castings do not use guideplates from the factory. Find me 10 more people that would run a mild cam like i did (228/236) with either rocker and stock pushrods, bet you will be hardpressed

Quick Reply: will 317 heads work on my ls1