New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best deal for mild cam package?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best deal for mild cam package?

Turns out I have to replace my lifters after I got it to the shop to do rockers. So having to pay a lot of money thought I would add some power when replacing parts. It looks like I have a couple bad lifters so a new set of LS7 lifters from Texas speed is looking like a great deal for 139 a set. The 98 WS6 is stock other than the trunion bearing upgrade for the rockers I just did. Future mods could include procharger but nothing likely till next year unless I am lucky.

Texas speed is recommending there 224R cam with push rods and beehive springs (said can use the stock retainers) for about $600 and then the LS7 lifters.

Whether I can afford to buy the better timing chain and oil pump right now I am not sure, but would like. Texas said they were optional especially on a low mile motor but they sounds like a good thing to do as long as the motor is apart if I can swing them, plus good oil flow will help durability for any motor.
To have had something go wrong at 40K is not encouraging. Motor not really running very poorly. Just found some (5) bearings during an oil change and assumed they were from the rockers. When I took all the old rockers out though all bearings were accounted for. I had heard a tick for about two seconds twice when on a steep incline and a slight misfire on occasion. Very subtle. But if the lifters have been damaged I am assuming either it is damaged or is just a good time to pay for an upgrade as long as the labor is not much more. At least get a more powerful motor when I am done paying.

The motor has 40K miles on it.

I realize I will have to have this tuned somewhere which will add to the cost.

It is in a shop a State away from me and time is limited...this was not planned. So I am wanting to do as much as I can as long as the labor is going to be the same to tear it apart.

Budget minded suggestions appreciated.

This is an A4 car BTW so Texas speed said with stock converter to stick to the 114 LSA rather than 112 on that cam...though I believe the GM hot cam has 112.

I had seen a write up in car craft 2009 where they used the GM hot cam and got 49Hp with a cam and spring kit for 415 bucks. There was a dip in power at certain RPM's but I don't think they had it tuned yet.

I see all sorts of other things possible including deletion kits. Money is just limited and I only have so much time they will allow me to keep my car at the shop or I would have planned this differently.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with the 224R 114LSA for stock converter. Get LS2 chain and TSP Ported LS6 oil pump while your down there. You can even get a Mail Order tune from Frost to get you by... Dyno tune to get every pony out of her.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Default Will check, thanks

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
Go with the 224R 114LSA for stock converter. Get LS2 chain and TSP Ported LS6 oil pump while your down there. You can even get a Mail Order tune from Frost to get you by... Dyno tune to get every pony out of her.
I will check. One issue for things like hand held programmers is the 98 is somehow different so not difficult to deal with. Even the Procharger kits are different for the 98 and are without a tuner. I will see what Frost has to say.
It is a budget thing right now but I will check on the prices of those things. Anything that will require tearing apart things again I will try to squeeze in now.

I am going to get the LS2 plastic lifter trays with the LS7 lifters since they are so cheap and suggested. Not sure about the two piece cover, would be great but only if I need to do a cam change again.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS2 chain is only $40 from TSP(one of our sponsors) and the oil pump is $180 also from TSP... I wouldn get the 2 piece unless your guna swap cams again.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not having oil PSI issues you dont need a pump. Too many suggest it and sometimes having it hogged out or HV can create more issues than it solves. 40k your fine.

Just do the chain if your really worried they are like said in expensive.

I have 47,xxx on my car running a Vengence VRx4 (228/230 cam) on stock lifters, chain, and pump. Oil PSI is great hot or cold, clean, and over all happy with the setup.

A future cam swap I would do chain and maybe a pump, again depends on RPM needs and current condition/milage. Maybe the rockers too as preventative action.