New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Know my mods, unsure on order

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

what's your time frame for all this? if it's not that long of time, it really doesn't matter. if you do a cam and then build your tranny in a few months, i doubt it's gonne blow in that short of time. but if it's going to be a while inbetween mods, just do the safest first and so on.
Old 06-25-2012 | 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would hopefully have it all done within the next 3 years. I was planning on 1-2 big mods per year, including the converter that should be done within the next month or so. That would be the only big mod this year.

Technically I could just go full bore and do it all now but it would be irresponsible to drop 9-10k in car parts/labor all at once right now.
Old 06-26-2012 | 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

After talking to someone, I realized I overlooked the additional cost of labor for pulling the trans twice if I do a built trans and converter at separate times. Makes more sense to do them together. Then I'd save up for a cam or rear after that. Or do the cam and rear together whenever I could afford to.
Old 06-26-2012 | 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just doing a stall isnt that expensive. I think you can get that done for under a G. Then next year re-visit and get a new trans if you need it. I think ur stock trans even with a stall will last a while with just the mods you have now. My friend has been pushing his stock trans with a YANK SS3600 stall for 2 years now daily driving it. Also maybe see if you can find a good condition M6 10 bolt for like $200... that will help you a lot with the stall (the 3.42 gear). You want to ditch those 2.73s when you do the stall. However if you got the money... just get a s60... I just put one in my car and love it... running 4.10s but mines a M6.
Old 06-26-2012 | 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't see putting money into a 10-bolt at all. $200 isn't much but it is just extra that could be used for the S60 lol.

The converter I am looking at is in the $650-$800 range. Then I'd need the labor cost to install it, and the tune. That puts it well over a G unless you weren't counting the cost of the converter itself. It just seems logical to me to only pull the trans once though...I guess it could ultimately come down to up front cost out the door converter only vs converter and trans together.

I was quoted $400-$500 to install the TC at a local trans shop and another $150-$200 for the cooler install btw and then I'd still need a tune.
Old 06-26-2012 | 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
I can't see putting money into a 10-bolt at all. $200 isn't much but it is just extra that could be used for the S60 lol.

The converter I am looking at is in the $650-$800 range. Then I'd need the labor cost to install it, and the tune. That puts it well over a G unless you weren't counting the cost of the converter itself. It just seems logical to me to only pull the trans once though...I guess it could ultimately come down to up front cost out the door converter only vs converter and trans together.

I was quoted $400-$500 to install the TC at a local trans shop and another $150-$200 for the cooler install btw and then I'd still need a tune.
Oh trust me i know you should not put money in a 10 bolt at all... but i mean its an option that my buddy went with and has been working well for him for 2 years now.

Obviously the s60 is better but you are talking another $2300.. idk your budget so all of this is for your wallet to decide.

I just keep looking at your mod list... and it seems you are only bolt-ons. Trans rebuild and s60 seems preemptive to me unless you have big plans for this car. This is just IMO and because you are auto.
Old 06-26-2012 | 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The S60 that I was looking at is more like $2900 lol, I figure that would be the last thing I do before nitrous, I planned on staying with the 2.73's until then.

I don't really have a budget at the moment, I'm just taking it one mod at a time. Technically I could just call RPM and say, Fran I want all this and have it done but that would come out to like $10k and it would be grossly irresponsible to do that right now, so I want to make sure whatever order I pick has the lowest chance of damaging other parts while making the most financial sense, unfortunately trying to find a happy medium is rather difficult.
Old 06-26-2012 | 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get a stall for now man. You will like it and can deside to go from there after. I dont see why you would rebuild your stock trans when its only got 26k miles on it... I assume it is still in great condition. My friend paid $1300 for a local shop to install a stall. He paid $700 for the stall, $200 for flexplate, $100 for a tune, and $225 for the install. These are legit prices from a local lsx based shop here in IL from 2 years ago. I assume they would be very close to that today. The prices you posted earlier are way too much.
Old 06-26-2012 | 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those prices would be for a local transmission repair shop to do it. A slightly cheaper option, although I'm still approaching $2000, and that is without sales tax, is going to a reputable shop in DE, unless I catch some sales or something.
Converter - $750
Cooler - $65
Flexplate - $150 (if needed)
Install - $600
Dyno Tune - $350 for them.

CSP has a converter package for $1350 that includes FTI converter, install, and tune but I haven't heard anything from CSP or FTI when I contacted them

Last edited by LS-ONE_DAY; 06-26-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2012 | 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those prices would be for a local transmission repair shop to do it. A slightly cheaper option, although I'm still approaching $2000, and that is without sales tax, is going to a reputable shop in DE, unless I catch some sales or something.
Converter - $750
Cooler - $65
Flexplate - $150 (if needed)
Install - $600
Dyno Tune - $350 for them.

CSP has a converter package for $1350 that includes FTI converter, install, and tune but I haven't heard anything from CSP or FTI when I contacted them
I'm blown away by the install prices you are posting. My buddy must have gotten a monster deal @ $225 for install. Can't you take your car to Maryland Speed? I think they are a sponsor here and probably will have much better prices then you are posting. Also I don't think you need a dyno tune for a stall... my buddy just got a basic tune.
Old 06-26-2012 | 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

While dyno tune may not be necessary if the car is there I may as well get it done to get the most out of the car. And yeah he got an amazining deal. I don't imagine MD Speed would be much if any cheaper, plus I would have to add sales tax to that....
Old 06-26-2012 | 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

3600 stall, rear with 3.73s,cam, built tranny, spray.
Old 06-27-2012 | 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

That does sound like it could would mjs. As long as my cooler keeps the tranny under 195 degrees I'm pretty sure it should last...Do the rear after that and then maybe do cam and built trans at the same time so I don't have to worry about the trans going out then...
Old 06-27-2012 | 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

While dyno tune may not be necessary if the car is there I may as well get it done to get the most out of the car. And yeah he got an amazining deal. I don't imagine MD Speed would be much if any cheaper, plus I would have to add sales tax to that....
You would be amazed at how much cheaper these LSx based speed shops can be on labor. They are so busy all the time that they can actually offer much lower prices per hour. Half the time I have to wait 4+ weeks to get an appoitment (as i currently am waiting til july 16th for some work, I made that appointment back on June 9th with my local LSx shop). Just give Maryland Speed a call... I mean I dont know anything about them but I have a feeling they can beat that $600 labor charge. And you are going to have to pay sales tax on the labor no matter what... so that doesn't really matter? Try a search or ask in the regional sections by you to see what people are paying and where at... i bet you can find something closer to $300.

Anyway in either case, it seems pretty unanimous that the stall is first! 3600 is nice for a DD for sure as mentioned by others. And yes a tranny cooler is a must! Think about a flexplate just for that extra piece of mind.

Last edited by udienow; 06-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2012 | 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm considering a flexplate. I know it can't hurt to buy one (other than my wallet a little more) but the 2 good things I have going for me that may not require me to get a new one is 1. mileage, since the car only has 26k miles on it and 2. year, since the 99 models have a slightly stronger flexplate than the newer model years.

I'll call MD Speed but I'm not getting my hopes up lol. I don't think there is tax on labor for the shop in DE...

Best case is I can get a hold of Greg at FTI and Andrew at CSP and get their converter deal. $1350 including the converter, install, and tune all together. Now that doesn't until the cost of the trans cooler unit (not sure if it includes install labor for it) and it doesn't include tax but still the best deal I'm aware of. If it doesn't work out I'm pretty sure I'll get a Circle D. Chris is a great guy and has been very helpful, and always answered my questions promptly.
Old 06-27-2012 | 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

i was in your same position about getting a new flexplate when i did my new tranny/converter. i decided to get a new sfi plate from yank. since your tranny will be out you might as well and whats an extra $90 and piece of mind when you plan on putting all this time and money into the car.
Old 06-27-2012 | 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Anyway in either case, it seems pretty unanimous that the stall is first! 3600 is nice for a DD for sure as mentioned by others. And yes a tranny cooler is a must! Think about a flexplate just for that extra piece of mind.[/QUOTE]

This! i just put my stall in and im glad i did. my ss3600 feels great and is really easy to drive. and yes a good tranny cooler is very important.
Old 06-27-2012 | 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

What cooler did you go with? I was looking at a B&M 70264
Old 06-27-2012 | 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mjs1012
3600 stall, rear with 3.73s,cam, built tranny, spray.
This.

Your car has such a low mileage that the need for a new tranny should only come right before you hook up the nitrous, IMO.
Old 06-28-2012 | 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

What cooler did you go with? I was looking at a B&M 70264

I currently have a big flex-a-lite tube and fin type cooler but i also used the B&M 70264. i have the b&m for sale with only 500miles on it (pm me if youre interested).