New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Know my mods, unsure on order

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would just do a stall and cooler, drive it until you can afford (or are ready) to do cam/springs and tune. then when you are ready spray it. why spend a bunch of money replacing a GOOD rear or working transmission? either may break the first time you drive it or could last for years. if you were to replace everything based on the "it could break" factor you might as well do arp rod bolts and head studs, while youre that far why not just rebuild the motor with forged internals to handle the spray, and if you're going forged why not go stroker? this is how things get out of hand. you have a VERY low mileage car/parts so i would not replace the rear or build the transmission until you NEED to based on failure.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Teching In

trans and rear will hold til u really put some power down or when u bump the button
Old 07-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

My car still has the stock 2.73 geared 10-bolt, and the stock tranny. Just turned to 70,000 miles, and, by my sig, you can see it's making a bit over stock power levels. I didn't figure to have any trouble with the 10-bolt, since the car is an A4, but I've been waiting for the last 20,000 miles for the transmission to give up, so I can upgrade. It just won't cooperate. Of course, if I wanted it to hold up, it would fail.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get a new flexplate with your converter or stick with the stock one? I have a 99 so I think my stock one is a little stronger and since it only has 26k miles I don't know if it's worth spending the money on an aftermarket one.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Did you get a new flexplate with your converter or stick with the stock one? I have a 99 so I think my stock one is a little stronger and since it only has 26k miles I don't know if it's worth spending the money on an aftermarket one.
with only 26k youll be good on the flexplate. the main reason i got one was cuz my stock one came out of my car with 226k on it so i didnt wanna spend all the money on a tranny/stall and have it fail and ruin everything.