Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the LS1

Ok, so im not new to building cars just Brand new to the ls1.

I recently purchased a 94 RX7 with a 99 corvette ls1 and a t-56 in it and according to the guy I purchased it from it has an Ls6 intake and a lunati vodoo cam and a tune in it as well as the bronze gear upgrade in the tranny and 4:10 gears out back.

Eventually im wanting about 650rwhp out of this car and looking to find out what I can get out of my car as it is and what it will take to get to my goal? What are some common upgrades that will make this car come alive?

According to the dyno sheets as it sits it puts down 363 rwhp and 362 rwtq. I am coming from driving a daily 470whp ford focus that I built and want this car to move in the top like my focus does. Down low and out of the hole this car is a rocket right now but seems to fall a bit shy of power after about 100 mph compare to my focus.

My ultimate goal for this car is to be a reliable daily with ac/ cruise/ and plenty of power to boot. I figure if i can get the car somewhere into the low 10s and high 9s in the 1/4 mile ill be happy with it. But i also want to keep my gas mileage as close to what it is now. (around 30mpg)

Please dont say that you cant build a car like that as a daily because i did it with a 4 banger (focus) It has cruise/ ac/ heated leather recaro seats/ 3k watt stereo system and gets 27mpg. It runs an 11.2 in the 1/4 at 134mph on street tires and fully loaded as i drive it on the street with a 60' of 2.43 (which i think is horrible).

I know this is going to be a big project and going to take some money. That is not my concern at the moment because it is a project that will take some time as well but I dont skimp on my cars. I am currently in the learning stages and planning stages and am just trying to get some advice from people that may have been build/ dealing with this motor for some time. I always try to do lots of homework before i start my builds.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me and I welcome all input. (please dont let this thread turn into about how its not possible for a focus to be what mine is, the last couple of post I have put up like this has turned into that) I am trying to build my new project (my RX-7) and trying to do it smart so i dont waste any money. Also trying to learn as much about this car and motor as i can.

Again thanks for the help.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course its possible, like with anything its a matter of how deep your pockets are...
For an N/A build, I think the current 383ci LS1 record is around 530RWHP (although street ability is questionable, and gas mileage is likely out of the question) -i think this was pump gas though. An LS1 will make 450RWHP NA pretty easy and still retain gas mileage and street ability no prob(this is setup right of course).
If you want to stay N/A and make bigger power an engine swap may be in order (LS3). If not, check out the forced induction section on here. There are guys here with 1000RWHP, 8 second LSx street cars...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your goals are definintly possible, cheapest way is to put it on the bottle. you mentioned in your post though that after 100mph the power seems to fall off a little. my question is how often are you going 100+ that you need extra power past that range?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

either build the motor and nitrous or add a blower. easiest ways to go. well only ones easy.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I have had several people try to tell me that i was laying on a big pile of $hit when i told them what my focus could do. I dont think alot of them realized just how much money and time has been put into that car. I would try to just move on but on other forums it just seemed to come back to it and got very annoying.

Im not a fan or N2O just because you have to refill it.

I deff have no problem with boost. I actually really enjoy when the turbo spools up and the sound of the BOV when it blows off. I like the sound of a super charger just dont like the way it kills gas mileage. I love how a turbo you can have a normal car if you stay out of the throttle and yet if you want it its right there.

About the over 100mph it happens alot more than you think. I build cars that i can drive to the track, race it all night long, and drive it home, and actually it just feels a bit slow after prob more like 60mph compared to my focus. (which is fine right now, but i got this because I know there is no replacement for displacement and I know its got a much greater potential) plus its just a very sexy car!!!

Here's a thought because i have actually heard such great things about it. Will the ls7 in the newer zo6 vettes drop right into my car seeing as it already has an ls motor? i know its a bigger displacement motor with great production of power while still keeping efficiency. What would it take to drop in say a different LS series motor?

Everyone keeps telling me the amount of fab work to get a couple or even one turbo in the front of my car is ridiculous so ive been considering remote mount just never done one or known anyone that has. I imagine that it will give an enormous amount of turbo lag. which a little bit is ok. But too much is a bad thing to me. I dont want to be waiting for eons to get my power. haha.

So if i was wanting that 450whp. You stated that it wouldnt be that difficult. What are we speaking of? heads? cams? I already have long tube headers and a 3 in cat free exhaust. What kind of heads/cam combo are we talking? Would I need a different intake/ tb setup? what about valves and things like that? I have a set of roller rockers sitting in my garage that came with the car but I think I need different push rods to put them on.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

You need a D1 Procharger or Turbo set up to make those power numbers with good street manners... 650 hp LS1 would have to have a radical cam...killer heads & very large engine displacement. Go with the Turbos or Procharger D1
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

450rwhp is easy as hell in a ls1. look at all the threads made everyday on this site for the same power goal and theres usually a build list in one of them that will get you there. a texas speed heads a cam package with the stage 2.5 ls6 heads and a 233/239 cam on 112 lsa will get you almost there. supporting bolt ons to follow of course. as far as the ls7 goes i wouldnt do it. the cost of a stock ls7 just alone is enough reason not too. take the fab work to be done IF it can even fit and you run up a tab you dont want any part of. yes it would make lots of power and be cool to say its got an ls7 but you can get the same power for cheaper and less fabrication with the ls1. if going for crazy (for that light a car) hp numbers in the 800 and above range then look into a lq4 or lq9 which is a iron block ls1 that will hold boost better and be stronger.

IMO, if i was in your place and only wanted 450 then id do the above heads and cam. if i wanted more than 450 but not too much more id do the above and the bottle. if i wanted 500 plus with room to grow id go procharger. theres a reason its one of the most popular f body power adders.