Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-body oil pan install issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-body oil pan install issue

I bought an ls1 out of an '01 SS Camaro: disassembled it, reassembled it, and got all the way to the oil pan. Here is when the problem came out. The oil pan didn't sit flush with the bottom of the block. I thought I might have installed the girdle or pick up tube wrong so I removed them and attempted a re-fit without them and the same thing happened. The oil pan basically just rocked back and forth on the block. I thought it may just flush up when crushed against the gasket so I put everything back on, tightened it in sequence and ended up breaking a corner off of my oil pan. It is only a small piece and I can probably just have it welded back on, my question is, has anyone had an issue like this or has my pan just warped that badly over the 9 months its been sitting in my garage? Do I need to do something differently or just buy a new pan? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you drill out the old rivets that held on the old gasket ? Also is the rear main cover and timing cover on the motor when you set the pan on ? If the covers are on and torqued on you have to have all 3 pieces loose and then start torquing things down.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ What he said.

You can also take a piece of something flat... ruler, flat iron, cardboard box... anything fairly firm and lay it on top. Does it lay flat? If not, obviously the pan is warped. But I highly doubt that. If i was a betting man, id put some money on the rivets still being in.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do decide on picking up a new one, we have new GM pan kits for 229.99. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I had the rear main cover and timing cover torqued so that must have been my problem, unfortunately I will be ordering a new one today because I cracked it around the side. I found the kit https://www.superchevyperformance.co...tCode=12628771 here for under $200. Thanks though!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jarett.wells
Thanks guys, I had the rear main cover and timing cover torqued so that must have been my problem, unfortunately I will be ordering a new one today because I cracked it around the side. I found the kit https://www.superchevyperformance.co...tCode=12628771 here for under $200. Thanks though!
Make sure you loosen up the the front and rear cover before the new one goes on and also have the crank pully on the moter before you torque down the timing cover. That will help center the timing cover seal to the pully.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
Make sure you loosen up the the front and rear cover before the new one goes on and also have the crank pully on the moter before you torque down the timing cover. That will help center the timing cover seal to the pully.
This is great advice, although I would like to add that the alignment to the block itself is also critical.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: F-body oil pan install issue