New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette motor as warranty replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright how much complaining did you have to do to get a new motor??? i bought my 02 SS about 6 months ago second hand. i have bad piston slap and want a new motor. what did you do to get them to get you a motor. i only have 10,000 miles on the car. please let me know
Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Launching!

The way I did it was by first complaining about the excess oil consumption. Then I noticed that I had oil coming through the intake and that the back of my TB blade had oil on it. That led them to put new piston rings and bearings. After that I said that the slap was getting louder and now there was a slight backfire. They finally got tired of me coming back and gave me a new long block. It took me about a year to get the new engine.

So far my extended warranty company has shelled out about $16,000 for my Z. But what do I care. I only paid $1,200 for the warranty and I have a $50 deductable.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:22 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

He may or may not get the LS6 heads.
What are you talking about? Are you making this up as you go along?

It is my understanding that they no longer produce the exact same LS1 block for todays production vehicles as the ones we have in our original cars.
Tell that to all the people who have LS6 blocks in their f-bodies.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

I think I am gonna take my car to the dealership for Piston Slap. My in service date is May 2nd and my factory warranty is up on that day this year. I have an extended but it may not cover the entire cost the replace the pistons and rings and bore the block. I would be happy to get a LS6 if that is for real.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HE IS NOT GETTING A LS6 FREE REPLACEMENT MOTOR.

it is going to be the current production LS1 block, which is the same as the LS6 block, but that worth any power over a ls1 setup

.. not to mention the car won't be numbers matching anyway.

your not going to get a LS6 motor, with the real LS6 heads, LS6 internals, and LS6 cam, LS6 hollow valves, and LS6 springs, unless you have a service writer who can accidently order it as a replacement for a 2002+ Z06

Ryan
Old 04-13-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have just gotten off the phone with a friend of mine at Scoggin Dickey Chevrolet, a service writer who has beeen there for years and is very much a part of the performance scene there.

He states that there is no GM bulletin regarding replacement of the engine, this is a case by case basis, that the normal procedure is to bring the car in, determine if any damage is being done, asses the level of the damage done and determine if it will continue to increase, send the findings to the service quality center for analysis and act on that departments recommendation.

This action starts at continued monitoring of the engine with a hold status on the warranty (the warranty goes static), disassembly of the engine and measurement of the internal parts to determine any possibility of a part such as a piston being irregular in size (broken, cracked, wrong part, etc...), replacement of internal parts determined to be at fault, and at worst case if there is significant damage or potential for, replacement of the engine with the correct part number engine, this replacement is an LS1 and is based upon the LS6 block, heads, intake and uses LS1 internal components including cam, crank, pistons, rods, valvetrain, flywheel, etc...

Note the block and heads are LS6 pieces, the rest of the engine is all LS1 equipment. The only difference is the designation of the block and heads, with the heads being advantageous.

The block and heads would be an LS6, built with LS1 parts like many of the last two years of F body production due to closure and operations ceaseing at the plant that built LS1's for the first 3 years.

This replacement would be a long block assembly only, with all external parts being reused to maintain unecessary costs being duplicated unless it was determined that they contribute to the problem.

That was straight from a guy that knows his stuff about warranties and LS1's and LS6's, but that was only what he had to share with me........
Old 04-13-2004, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

wow i think i gotta call one of my friends he use to work at a dealership as a tech and hes good friends with the service manager i should see what they could do maybe i could score a ls6 that would be sweet
Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

correct,he got a production ls1 block,for a 04 ls1 powered vette.i believe the manager saying it had ls6 heads,so it might be a ls6 block as well?gotta check those numbers..my brother put about 6k miles on the car,and when the noise didnt go away anymore (even after warming up the car and driving it for a WHILE) he took it in.after a week and a little fighting,they said the block was useless and confirmed the piston slap,and told him a crate was on the way.he just got his car today (hes utterly happy) and they told him blahblah 1000 mile break in.

wow i cant believe anyone had the piston slap come back after replacing it....i put a deposit on a 02 35th le im picking up in a couple of weeks,and when i test drove it i heard the signs....it has 1800 miles on it and still smells new,but since im a diehard fbody owner,i dont mind,after learning from my brothers experience,ill be stacking some mileage on it so i can take it in for a replacement before the warranty expires...
Old 04-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

ps they tried to to tell him theyd replace the pistons,but upon further inspection (and lazyness maybe?) they said itd be easier to replace the block since there was prob damage to the ls1....
Old 04-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Teching In

gm replaces part number for part number right?? i do have a ls6 block so this means that i will be getting a ls6 block if they do decide to change it. will this cause a depreciation in the car since it is not the orginal motor?(long term i will never sell this car).
Old 04-13-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

a 04 LS1 block is the same as a LS6 block, so thats nice.

If he got the LS6 heads, then it is probaly a LS6 crate motor, (nice bonus)

post the casting number on the ls6 heads, if you can read it, or if not, post the part number, ect.

.. yes, any motor replacement will cause depreciation loss for a longterm car, proper documentation will help minimize it, but do a search now, for 1969 camaros' and see price differences that the matching numbers cars get
Old 04-14-2004, 08:31 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Note the block and heads are LS6 pieces, the rest of the engine is all LS1 equipment. The only difference is the designation of the block and heads, with the heads being advantageous.

The block and heads would be an LS6, built with LS1 parts like many of the last two years of F body production due to closure and operations ceaseing at the plant that built LS1's for the first 3 years.
It isn't helpful passing out incorrect information.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z98
It isn't helpful passing out incorrect information.
I shared info that came directly from the dealership and a someone who is directly involved in dealing with these cars. This was shared word for word, don't like, don't use it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

So you're telling me that a dealership told you that all 01-02 f-bodies came with LS6 heads?

Is that your final answer?

So, in your infinite wisdom tell us which parts on the heads are LS6 parts and which parts are LS1
Old 04-14-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z98
So you're telling me that a dealership told you that all 01-02 f-bodies came with LS6 heads?

Is that your final answer?

So, in your infinite wisdom tell us which parts on the heads are LS6 parts and which parts are LS1
That is not at all what I said nor implied, not at all!

There are many f bods in the 2001-2002 model year that did come with LS6 blocks and heads, reason being the plant that manufactured LS1's closed as many parts were in the pipline to forecast enough inventory to complete the production run for these cars, this did not happen and many parts from the LS6 pipeline did find their way into 01-02 F bods due to a shortage of designated LS1 parts. Thats the information I was given.

I was sharing what was shared with me, how you use it or interpret it is your problem, not mine.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:15 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I have NEVER seen an F-body with LS6.

GG noob

That is not at all what I said nor implied, not at all!

There are many f bods in the 2001-2002 model year that did come with LS6 blocks and heads, reason being the plant that manufactured LS1's closed as many parts were in the pipline to forecast enough inventory to complete the production run for these cars, this did not happen and many parts from the LS6 pipeline did find their way into 01-02 F bods due to a shortage of designated LS1 parts. Thats the information I was given.
What were you saying?

No f-bodies came with LS6 heads

So tell me about theses LS6 heads with LS1 parts again
Old 04-14-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Joker, can you give me 1 example of a factory car, with LS6 heads on it?

the block, yes, as the old LS1 block was phased out when the f-cars were no longer going to be made, and the new revised LS6 block is the new LS1 block.

but the heads, that makes NO sense, as the LS1 heads are still in production on the vette, so i don't understand why or how a normal f-car would find a set of them onboard. And if it did happen often, why has nobody posted "OMG i have LS6 heads" in the past 3 years?

Ryan
Old 04-14-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that my car has LS1 heads still. I suppose when I get home I could try and double check casting numbers. If the GTO had LS6 block, heads and intake, even if they put the LS1 cam in it still, wouldn't they take advantage of it by advertising it as coming with an LS6 and not an LS1?
Dan
Old 04-14-2004, 01:16 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

You don't have to double check, I know the answer.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Exclamation

You guys settle down, no need to be harsh with eachother. Joker was passing info along that was told to him, he never claimed it was fact or not. "Don't shoot the messenger" - learn it.

The FACT is that some 2001 and most 2002 LS1s came with an LS6 engine block. If you order an LS1 engine block from GM, they have been discontinued and the LS6 engine block is the replacement part number.

There are NO performance gains from this engine block.

Notice I'm saying engine BLOCK, not "engine". Its just the block itself, no pistons, no rods, no crank, etc... Only the block.

LS6 heads do not, and never have come on F-bodies. GM does not replace LS1 heads with LS6 heads, as the compression is higher, and LS6 heads come with upgraded lightweight valves ($$$) and better springs. If you get an LS1 head replaced under warranty, you will get another LS1 head.

Z98: lose that signature please.